Eric Clapton-Another outstanding show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I havn't seen him since '01 and my youngest daughter has never seen him, so here's an early Christmas present :)

Jimmy Vaughn was the warm up band and they play some great music with a high talent horn section.

Clapton's still got it and they didn't play a bad song. They did nothing from the 60's which was fine by me. It's obvious they're all just having a really good time.

It was the best I've ever heard Clapton's band play the old Derek and the Dominoes cover Key to the Highway. It was the same band and singers he's used in the past though a 2nd drummer was added along with guitarist Doyle Bramhall II. I'm glad I looked up Bramhall because I didn't know who he was. He plays left handed and strings his guitar upside down for an amazing sound! Clapton and Bramhall both took turns at lead.

Key to the Highway from 2015. It was even better last night with the additional guitar.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2f--I4C9Kw

I never would have thought I'd be seeing Clapton at 76, or that any of us would even live this long LOL

Clapton giving kudos to the band for the outstanding job they did. They really are tight and polished!

jimd441

Blackhawk
Having Jimmy Vaughn as a warm up speaks volumes regarding Clapton's stature as a guitarist! Glad to read it was a great show.

Jim

turd

Blackhawk
Cholo, thanks for the report and the images. Last time we saw him was nearly 12 years ago. He has had his own issues and has still stood out for a long, long time. I can only be thankful that some of what we knew has made it thru along with us. Awesome performer, poet of our time.

Cholo

Staff member
contender said:
Clapton,, truly a great one. My favorite song,, "Wonderful Tonight."
We were waiting for the crowd to disperse and I said to my daughter that tonight's version of Wonderful Tonight was the most beautiful version I've ever heard. A woman 2 rows down said that she agreed that it was simply beautiful. It wasn't that different, but it was different enough for both of us to say--Wow!

I was watching a documentary on him a year or so ago and they were showing Clapton's very early days when he was either in his late teens or very very early 20's and in some teeny bopper band.... this showed part of Dylan's trip to England and he is watching some local dance show on TV in his hotel room and the teens are dancing to the band playing live on the show and Dylan starts talking about the guitar player in the band... which is Clapton.

contender

Ruger Guru
I never had any thoughts about the song "Wonderful Tonight" being sexist. All I know is a LOT of the ladies I've danced with loved it,, and it's "our song" for Miss Penny & my old dance partner.
A really good song to slow dance to,, with that special lady!

Cholo, I'd love to hear about the differences you heard when he played it. Tell me when you get here,,,!!!

Cholo

Staff member
Jeff, the seats were good. I prefer just in front of the stage on the right elevated side in an arena and not on the floor. I always go to shows with a female and they can't see the band from the floor with everyone standing. Plus, the sound quality is far better with the overhead speakers facing away from you. The vocals and instruments sound richer and clearer.

Ty, the differences were subtle but obvious if you know the song really well. I especially liked the guitar changes, but you can hear some vocal changes, as well. It sounded similar to this 2015 version. It's a cell phone video, but it gives you an idea. Nothing compares to being there live, though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vodz9gadgM

Mike J

Hunter
Wow! I am sure that was a great show. Glad you got to see both of them.

rugerbertt

Bearcat
The only time I saw Eric was in 1975 and the ticket cost $6.50. What are tickets running now?

Thanks for sharing Cholo! I like Eric Clapton and his music. The truly gifted performers seem to thrive on the “juice” from their performances. They looked like they were jamming at home! Hmm, as long as they have been doing that, perhaps they are at home on the stage?
gramps

protoolman

Hunter
Ive been a Clapton fan forever. Ill probably never see him in concert but I watch all his live videos. Bet the concert was awesome!

Bobberfishin

Single-Sixer
Saw him in 77 or 78 (who can remember nowadays) at Nassau Coliseum On LI, NY
Santana was the warm-up band.
Clapton's encore was with Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, & Billy Cobham
They played for over 45 minutes _ Stormy Monday, Blues Power & Key to the Highway
Unbelievable!!!!

Latest posts