Enjoying my SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kho

Bearcat
I've had an SP101 (2.25") for about a year now. When I carry it, it's in a beautiful Bobby Mac holster - the HC model. I cannot say enough good things about the quality of his work btw.

Lately I've been shooting it more often just for practice and it really is a fine revolver. When I bought it I was tempted by the S&W equivalent but now I'm glad I went with Ruger. I just ordered Hogue rubber grips to see if I can get a slightly better fit for my hand, and a little more padding for the hot loads.

Now I'm really tempted to pick up the 4" model to go with my GP100. The 4" seems like it would be a nice, lightweight plinking gun.

Yes, this post is really about nothing - just sharing the SP101 love :)

I have had a 3 inch barrel SP-101 for greater than 10 years. My son has the 2.25 inch barrel. They are wonderful guns, and fun to shoot. IMO :D 8) Glad you are enjoying yours.
gramps

E

Single-Sixer
I agree very much about the SP101. I had a 3" several years that I liked but never shot very well and sold to finance an LCR that would be better for pocket carry. About a month ago I picked up a 2.25" that I like more and more each day, and I've found I shoot it better than the 3" model -- but that may have more to do with practicing with a DAO trigger on the LCR and renewing an interest in revolvers in general. The SP101 carries pretty nicely on a good belt, and it is comforting to sometimes have that beefy snubnose along for the ride.

The 4" has a lot of appeal for me, too -- it's starting to feel so awkward to have 2 GP100's but just 1 SP101. And then, the LCR would get lonely, so another of those as well...

Kho

Bearcat
I wanted to add that I swapped out my front sight for a fiber optic one from Gemini Custom. Much easier to see.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I bought my 1993 model 3" SP101 about 5 years ago LNIB from an acquaintance. Put one box of factory ammo through it, then ordered leather and reloading equipment. At the time, after 45 years of shooting, that was the first firearm to really inspire me to actually take up reloading. I've probably owned less than 40 handguns in my lifetime, but that SP instantly became my favorite daily companion. I have no idea how many thousand 158 gr swc's have been through the barrel in those 5 years.

Sounds like a real fan club :)

jd

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
SP101 3 inch in TT IWB is my daily carry, very happy with this revolver.

4521dln

Single-Sixer
I have large hands , I have never handled a SP101. I have other Ruger Revolvers. Can larger grips be bought for them? Not trying to steal OP

Flintlock45

Bearcat
I to am liking my almost new SP101, mentioned in another post just put an XS standard dot front sight on, going to range today or tomorrow to try it out. As long as the SP101 shooters are looking at this, is there a good holster that will work for both inside and outside of waistband?

Kho

Bearcat
My Hogue rubber grip arrived today and I installed it. It's more sticky and a little larger than the original, which is probably less desirable for concealed carry. But what I like about it is that it changes my grip angle so that I don't have to cock my wrist forward as much to line up the sights. Should be more comfortable to shoot.