Engraving...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P90

Single-Sixer
My Neighbor and Friend, Orval Mahan, here in Panama, Ok. Engraved it and put a set of Wolf Springs in it. He did my P90 previously. I did his Income Tax Returns, and some favors, so he told me to get another Gun that I wanted Engraved, and he would do it. I've always liked Revolvers and Cowboy guns, but didn't have anything that I wanted Engraved. I bought the New Vaquero and had him do it, and ordered a set of Stag Grips from Patrick Grashorn for it. He showed me a Vaquero that he had done with Texas Cattle Brands on it that was absolutely Beautiful. Guess others thought so also, because he said the first one that he did sold at a gunshow for 5000.00

americal

Hunter
I believe I like engraving the more I see of these guns posted :) really great work on your gun P90 8) nice grips to, workes of art these engraved guns, What a next door neighbor to have :D :D

wproct

Single-Sixer
This has really been an enjoyable thread. I like engraved handguns as it personalizes the firearm and adds to the pride of ownership. You guys really have some fine examples of engraving!

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
I love this gun as my first engraving commision. My wife loves it more...
thegunroom017.jpg

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr69 ... six015.jpg

This gun was my second commission. I learned a frw different things with this one.
1) Attempts to get it factory refinished failed. I recieved a letter from Ruger that they had a long standing policy refusing to do any work on a Ruger that has any type of custom (non-factory) work performed.

2) Engraving this gun cost more than my first, (the engraved SP101 22lr.) Factors related to this is that two cylinders were engraved and the gun had to be refinished.

For me, engraving a stainless gun skips the refinishing step an therefor lowers the total costs.

reakin

Single-Sixer
What can one expect to pay to get a gun engraved? I know it would vary depending on size of gun, amount of coverage, etc. But ballpark...say a short barreled stainless single six with 50% coverage? Are we talking $300? $1000?

reakin

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I thoroughly appreciate engraved firearms. I know they're not for everyone and some styles are better than others depending on subjective desire.

My Ruger Single Six engraved by Jeff Flannery with a line of gold wire inlay on both cylinders:

Rugers003.jpg

My S&W 624 .44 Special engraved as a Skeeter Skelton tribute. 75% coverage American Scroll by Michael Gouse ( www.mtart.com ):

SW624g002.jpg

SW624008.jpg

SW624g006.jpg

My Walther PPK with 75% American Scroll by Gouse (w/matching Camillus knife):

WaltherCamilllus003.jpg

S&W .32 Safety Hammerless (made in 1883) with 75% coverage by Gouse:

Breaktops011.jpg

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 (made in 1916) with 75% American Scroll by Gouse (with factory stocks and bonded ivory):

Colt001.jpg

GouseEngraving017.jpg

Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum with 75% American Scroll by Gouse:

Marlin044.jpg

Factory Colt .45 150th Anniversary Engraved Sampler:

ColtSampler010.jpg

As you can see, I like Gouse's work a lot. I like his pricing even better. He can do any kind of engraving but I am very partial to American Scroll.

Gouse has my Lipsey's .44 Special in his masterful hands right now. Yep, you guessed it...75% coverage American Scroll!

-Steve

So Mattsbox,yes, we all want to"see" some pictures of the work when you get it back, as Flatgate says, engraving is something very personal, for the person having it done. Not everyones "cup of tea..." :wink:

Some very nice guns pictured above and excellent work.....I'd wonder as to pricing, as the "good" ones can be VERY expensive....as well as take a LONG time to do.......

P90

Single-Sixer
Chief Engineer":2ctgg0k4 said:
P90":2ctgg0k4 said:
You can get beautiful jobs from some Engravers between two and five hundred.

Could I have the names of a couple of these please? Thanks

Chief
Orval Mahan, Panama, Ok. 918-963-2270
Michael Grouse (Search for his Websight) and samples of his work is already posted.
Here's another example of Mahans:
P90DC.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
Question on the Gouse and Mahan guns in particular but any of the others posted as well. Are they engraved by machine e.g. Gravermeister or does the engraver use the traditional hand engraver hammer/cutting tools method? Tks, JN

Chief Engineer

Bearcat
Johnnu2":nr8nekti said:
Question on the Gouse and Mahan guns in particular but any of the others posted as well. Are they engraved by machine e.g. Gravermeister or does the engraver use the traditional hand engraver hammer/cutting tools method? Tks, JN

Very good question.

P90

Single-Sixer
Johnnu2":3she7vxx said:
You won't get a (traditional hand engraver hammer/cutting tools method) job like those for 500.00. That method runs into the thousands.

Mighty fine stuff, Grouse certainly does excellent work. If you want a little gold inlay included Ray Viromentez, former Ruger factory Engraver, does outstanding work. He did this .44 Flattop for me some years back. All his work is by hammer and chisel. The ivories are by Fishpaw.
FT44

DSC05231.jpg

redoc

Bearcat
I'd like to show my engraved Colt SAA Bisley c.1905, but I can't figure out how to upload a picture on to this site :(

Latest posts