Engraved smith reg mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

artx

Bearcat
Ok in my quest to find more engraved guns for my collection,I ran across this bad boy. Its a 3 1/2 inch pawnshop engraved smith with ivory steerhead grips.I know dont laugh to hard! Sorry about the poor pic.
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTQuanBn.jpg

picketpin

Buckeye
Fun gun, great shooter if it's tight. Of course the non factory engraving didn't help the value nor did the non factory plating job.

You are aware that S&W never plated their hammers and trigger even back in pre war days and all were color case hardened whether the gun was blued or nickled?

Still it would be a fun one to own and actually carry and shoot.

Many years ago I carried a Factory engraved Combat Magnum (pre Model 19) 4"lued gun as a duty weapon. It lettered as "Beyond Class A. The fun part was somebody had odviously carried it for a bunch of years as a duty weapon long before I got it in 1974. It's sort of fun to carry a really fancy BBQ gun for a side arm. :)

RWT

artx

Bearcat
Yeah I knew all of that when I traded for the gun,but it just looked cool! I have a massive collection of smith parts including hammers and triggers and internal parts I got out of an estate some time ago. Stripping the nickle off the hammer and trigger would be easy and case coloring them both wouldn't be so bad if I had to do them. Its not to loose and its a good shooter! I'm ready for the bbq!!

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
i was just looking at your post over on the Smith Forum. I for one love the Ivory. You just have to get a couple better pictures for us to view. I like Texas cattle guns. The gun has been obviously re nickled since it was engraved (too bad) I like it and if you are ever interested in selling I would definately be interested.

Dan

Here are a few 44 specials I own right now

6scratched004.jpg

artx

Bearcat
Yeah I'm working on getting better pics. Being that I have owned many of an engraved gun I'm not bothered so much with the refinish. I have seen your guns before,nice! The last reg mag I picked up had been engraved with someone elses name not from the factory. That seems to be the only way I can pic up a reg mag.

hey those are neat really, and as said one way to get a "deal' as so many guys just "pass them over"...never know what them boys at ' Wolf & Klar;' did years ago, so one has to do their homework.....

Nice assortment 'AZ Dan'...........

artx

Bearcat
Man those engraved guns look awesome!!!!! I have been fortunate to own some fine engraved guns over the years,but this reg mag takes the cake! Not that the engraving is so awesome or anything like that,its just that finding another reg mag just takes the cake. I was on my way to a gunshow when I started asking around about engraved guns on the way to the show. Somehow I stumbled on to this one,I was so excited I decided to turn around and not even go to the show! Im still cleaning it,it was filthy! I know it doesnt look like much,but it looks and feels better in person!
GEDC0023.jpg
GEDC0025.jpg

jpickar

Blackhawk
What is the REG number? These are very collectible guns in origianl condition. Although yours is definately not a factory job and not original I think it has some value to a collector.

JOhn

artx

Bearcat
Yeah I like the gun,as to value I don't know where to start. My buddy offered me 1800. I don't know what to think of that,maybe that's good maybe that's bad but it doesn't eat much and it does look good. I told him I would think about it. The reg number is over 3000 I know,I don't have it in front of me at the moment. Its hard to find a decent vintage engraved gun at least in my neck of the woods.