End of life, sort of

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo said:
Captn.

You mentioned a 76 Superglide. When I bought mine it was stock except the gas tank although I did get the original that had several decals from the factory. A Bicentennial Edition. Wish I'd taken pics of the tank. Crushed glass in the paint…

Very nice, I bought mine 30 years ago in boxes. I built it as a rider, it looks good from 10 feet away but up close it’s very utilitarian. Legends shocks, ‘85 caliper up front and added an ‘03 caliper in ‘08, it’s hidden under the bag in the back…runs great, rides great and stops great. Gotta have at least one with a kicker.

4-E5-A0-D53-E6-D9-4476-A8-A3-BFDF90-A807-E1.jpg

Wyandot Jim said:
Watchman said:
As I understand it, ultralight aircraft don't require a pilot's license.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's true it might be a workaround... :)

Watchman,
You are correct, but they are not much of a plane. You can also fly Light Sport, less than 1320 gross with a drivers license and other things. You can also get what's called Basic Med. which does not come from an FAA DR. rather than a 3rd class medical IF you HAVE NOT failed a medical and had a medical within the last 10 years as long as you haven't had a heart attack???????. This is the short version there are more requirements. :wink: :wink:

True, they're not much of a plane, but they still get you in the air. Some are even two seaters. Just in case you know some other crazy people. :lol:

At 60, I still race sailboats every week. I'm not able to horse a spinnaker around the way I once could, but I'm still plenty competitive. I just race smaller boats with lesser loads on the sails - and my body. I'm also coaching and training the next generation of racers. That too is rewarding, and fun.

The thing to remember, is that a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on dry land. I'm sure Vito's friend has similar sentiments about being in the air. We all need something to look forward to. It's what gives life meaning.
If flying a glorified kite satisfies that need, I say go for it! 8)

hittman

Staff member
Sounds like Dino Dave was maybe quite a tech in the 90’s. :lol:

People REALLY use a dyno in this age of power commanders and fuel packs you can program and tune from a smart phone?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A friend knows a couple who are getting up there. At 82, she's the baby of the trio. Both the ladies are fairly active, while the gentleman is still riding his Harley on the weekends. He's 95! Think positive, Vito, both for your friend and yourself! Even if your friend can no longer fly, maybe he can find someone like Wyandot Jim and the family who can use an extra hand with a project plane.

We have a local base, March ARB (Riverside, CA), that has a nice museum of restored, and "being restored", USAF aircraft. All the work is done by volunteers. Not far away at Riverside Airport is a facility where the CAF (Commemorative or formerly Confederate Air Force) used to do some of their restoration work. They may still be working there. Again, volunteers play heavily into the program. Anything like that you could recommend he look into?

Rick C

azleite

Single-Sixer
Gunzo, that black Superglide is just... beautiful. Bogus Bill, I always liked those single headlight Trans Am’s the best. At 62 I still ride every week & shoot at least every other week. Semi-retired & wondering what to do next....

Mobuck

Hawkeye
No motorcycles or planes for me but I do understand the feelings. After 55 years of actively farming, I see that I'm no longer able to continue alone. I simply can't do all the things it takes to keep such an operation going. Son moved back 6 or 7 years ago and he and Grandson have been doing most of the 'heavy work' but Son has a job and GS is still in school so even with their input, I see things that need done but just not enough time. I'm hoping older Grandson chooses the college 40 miles away so he can be here on weekends and a few evenings in peak times.
I can't walk (hip replacement) much, can't lift (torn rotator cuff) much, and those restrictions are affecting my overall strength and stamina. No exercise = no strength so it just keeps getting worse. My "want to exceeds my can do" exponentially.

Superglide.... that brings back one of my wishes and semi regrets in life... I was going to finally get out of high school and work for a year or so and then buy one and take off... and I had never even seen the movie Easy Rider..... but a few things got in the way and 46 years later... but I'm happy with where I ended up... my one 'passion' I guess is guns and I've been feeding it a little too much as of late.

It's probably a good thing I did not get into street bikes... there was a time when on the odd weekend I would go home (family farm) and take off into the woods on a dirt bike... it was the rare occasion I did not hit a tree or fly off a cliff or wipe out in some way... I seemed to have to take it to the limit and then just a bit beyond.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
"If I knew I was gonna live this long, I woulda taken better care of myself."
:)))

J.

Well we drifted the hell out of Vito's thread...
Simple fact is age changes all of us, everybody knows it but we all
respond a bit different. I'm in my mid 60's and really starting to feel
the physical effects of age. Still very active and fit but noticing flexibility
agility and balance starting to go away. Started to see it playing contact hockey
against younger bigger and stronger guys a few years ago. Missing more than
a year of being on the ice for 4-5 hours a week due to Covid has really taken it's toll.
I've got the feeling that even with hard work I'm past the point of returning, still
going to play some pickup with other old guys when we can but it won't be the same.
A bit sad but it's all part of life.
That said, a lot of it is mental, if you can find something that motivates or drives you.
Something that inspires a passion to accomplish, oftentimes you'll figure out a way
to get there. Sounds corny, but sometimes it really is the "journey", our final
destination is never in doubt.
Dave

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
hittman said:
Sounds like Dino Dave was maybe quite a tech in the 90’s. :lol:

People REALLY use a dyno in this age of power commanders and fuel packs you can program and tune from a smart phone?

Without a dyno, how do you know if there are improvements after your “tuning?”

I’ve read (many times) that you need about a 10% performance increase to detect it with the seat of your pants, aka “butt dyno.” Once you’re beyond a stock state of tune, there certainly aren’t many upgrades that offer a 10% increase in one step…

Many reloaders working out of a manual sill use a chronograph to verify results.

I’ll also bet there’s the occasional machinist who still puts a micrometer on a part made in a CNC mill, just to verify correct dimensions.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
You have to adapt.One acquaintance, an avid cyclist, developed serious vision problems. A wind trainer with fittings that allowed increased resistance and then becoming the stoker on a tandem allowed him to keep bicycling.

vito

Hunter
Well for me, the motorcycling will continue for now. I passed the road test that Illinois requires for seniors over 75 with each license renewal. But I did go from a regular motorcycle license to one limited to 3 wheel vehicles, something I can live with comfortably. And I know that without modern medicine I would not be where I am, or here at all likely. Quintuple coronary bypass, nephrectomy of my left kidney for renal cancer, bi-lateral prosthetic knees, partial corneal transplants in both eyes, a thoracotomy for what would have been a fatal lung infection, and statin drugs to keep my cholesterol within same limits to keep me from having a heart attack or stroke, all of which I am very grateful to be enjoying.

bobski

Hunter
it was easy to give up things that tended to dominate me.
that included riding and cars. you know, those things you spend the best years of your life looking at on your back in a garage?
I wont let anything control me.
and if I do, I have no one to blame but myself.
ps...haven't flown or jumped since 1997 and don't miss it one bit.
lets see, what else don't I miss, oh food thatll kill me.
seems the closer I get to the grave, the more I realize that all the toys in the world ive been around become more meaningless.

protoolman

Hunter
Well yes as a young man I sailed boats, flew planes and rode motorcycles as well as scuba dived. These days I shoot guns, reload,cast bullets and ride 3 motorcycles. Regardless of all the things I've tried over the years I think the famous moonshiner Popcorn Sutton still had the best outlook when he said something to the effect of: If I had to do it all over again, dammed if I wouldn't do it bigger and better!

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I am inspired by the peace so many of you seem to have found with the changes along lifes highway. I hope I can get there, and soon.

I am 43 and having a hard go of it lately. Dad passed last fall. Been dealing with his accumulation. Really shaking my head at the all the undone or set aside stuff that was at a time a passion of his.

Then I look at my pile. Having a real what the f moment in life right now. Hardest part is so much "stuff" I have is for activities that I could still do. Just can't seem to wrap my mind around what is priority. Would almost be easier if I was forced into a choice by health or age. Wish there was a reset button at times.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
You want a real wake up call, just wait until your kids start asking/telling you about "succession planning". That's something like standing in the middle of a football field on a moonless night and having the lights come on.

Latest posts