End of life, sort of

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
About the only activity that is of overwhelming importance to me is motorcycling. I was late to start, not getting my first motorcycle until age 42, but at 78 still as passionate about the thrill of riding as I was then. A friend of mine feels the same way about flying. He is a bit older than me and has been flying since he was a teenager. Years ago when we lived closer to one another I was a passenger in his small plane on several occasions, and while I was not ever a pilot, I understood his enthusiasm for this sport/hobby of his as riding was for me. I heard from him yesterday after far too long without contact, and he shared with me that he feels his life is sort of ending. He no longer can pass the flight physical to retain his pilot's license due to some heart issue that has developed. He told me he has no idea how he will spend what time is left for him at this point, since flying and the activities related to flying have been what he has done pretty exclusively since he retired from his real job (which he used to say was just a way to earn enough money to support his family and to keep flying). I tried to cheer him up as best I could, but afraid that I was not in the least bit successful in the effort. After the call ended, it made me think about how I would feel if suddenly there was something that made riding impossible, even after I had already moved from 2 wheels to 3.

I hardly shoot anymore because of my bad shoulder, somewhat diminished eyesight and arthritis in my hands. But I still own guns, have my right to carry, and feel okay knowing that if needed I can use my guns to defend myself and my wife. Without regular visits to the range, riding my motorcycle has become even more of my focus in life. I love my wife of 55 years, love my five grown kids, love and enjoy my 12 grandchildren (some more than others), but I don't know how I would react if I suddenly lost the ability to ride as my old friend lost his ability to fly.

Growing old is tough.

I'm 53 and have owned a motorcycle every day since I'm 18, I've gone periods of time without a car but never without a motorcycle. I currently have 3, a '76 Super Glide, an '89 Sportster, and an '03 FLH. Unfortunately the throttle shaft broke on the FLH rendering it useless and there is no real way to repair or replace the throttle body so I'll be selling an otherwise perfect bike to a scrap yard so I think at my age convertible car will be my next purchase and I'll keep the two fun bikes.

Captain America said:
I'm 53 and have owned a motorcycle every day since I'm 18, I've gone periods of time without a car but never without a motorcycle. I currently have 3, a '76 Super Glide, an '89 Sportster, and an '03 FLH. Unfortunately the throttle shaft broke on the FLH rendering it useless and there is no real way to repair or replace the throttle body so I'll be selling an otherwise perfect bike to a scrap yard so I think at my age convertible car will be my next purchase and I'll keep the two fun bikes.

I know very little about Harleys, but how is a broken throttle shaft not a repairable item?
Dave

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Dave P. said:
Captain America said:

I know very little about Harleys, but how is a broken throttle shaft not a repairable item?
Dave

Good question.

JFB

Hunter
from title, I thought there might be a chance your comments relevant to me.

while the details are far different. I'm Having similair thoughts since I've lost the two primary passions that consumed me prior. And now, trying to get passionate about something else (driving), macular degen is on the horizan

vito,
I can relate to how your friend feels and what he must be going thru.
I'm 78 1/2 with a heart murmur that I have had all my life and is now getting worse. I have been flying since I was 22 and had to go thru hoops to get a medical.
I'm still able to enjoy aviation by restoring and building planes with my Son and Grandson.
I can and still fly just not as much as I used to.
When I watch my Son and Grandson fly my Starduster Too that I built 48 years ago or fly one that we have restored. I'm able get the same joy as if I were flying them.
Yes life changes along with us and what we do. BUT we need to keep doing fun things while we can. For example Wifie and I plan on taking our 2013 427 Vette Convertible that we bought in March on a trip West on Route 66 and North thru CA., OR., ID.,UT.,CO., and back to Texas in Sept./Oct.

Both DO FLY :wink: :wink:
From this

To this

Dave P. said:
Captain America said:

Dave

Butterfly shaft in the throttle body, the way it's installed and peened over you have to destroy the throttle body to get it out...the good news is Zipper's called me back and gave me the name of the company that makes their high performance throttle bodies(Horsepower Inc...cool name). Horsepower in Indianapolis was super nice and is sending me a 51mm throttle body(stock is 46mm) and intake so I will need a tuner module. Ironically the person they recommended to ask about what tuning module to get is a friend of mine...soooo...in about a week(and $1200 later) I hope to be up and running with a couple of extra horses between my legs.

bogus bill

Hunter
I am living??? that life for the last four years. Airplane, motorcycle and ATV all sold. Gun collection gave to
daughter early plus a couple friends. I have MSA and paralyzed. Been on hospice since November. I used to
get out every day even if it was drive a hundred miles for a sandwich. Uncomfortable all the time if not in
downright pain. My biggest regret is not using the toys I had more while I had them. Smoke em while you have them.

Watchman said:
As I understand it, ultralight aircraft don't require a pilot's license.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's true it might be a workaround... :)

Watchman,
You are correct, but they are not much of a plane. You can also fly Light Sport, less than 1320 gross with a drivers license and other things. You can also get what's called Basic Med. which does not come from an FAA DR. rather than a 3rd class medical IF you HAVE NOT failed a medical and had a medical within the last 10 years as long as you haven't had a heart attack???????. This is the short version there are more requirements. :wink: :wink:

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
...soooo...in about a week(and $1200 later)

Ouch.

Was this an excuse to upgrade rather than a stock replacement? And who is the tuner? Local to SE Pa? Always in search of a good shop.

I'm 64 and almost died twice back in 2019 and have come to the realization that the end is near... what ever that means... I'm way past half way there...could be years from now or could be tomorrow... and the strange thing is I'm okay with it.

bogus bill

Hunter
When they put me on hospice I automatically thought this is it. I had always heard they do that when
death is immanent. They have the nurse and the wash lady visit you twice a week. They told us not
to come back to the hospital when things worsen. You get re evaluated for eligibility if you dont die in 4 months,
I have been a couple months ago. Been almost 9 months now. I cant get out of bed to weigh but suspect I lost
half my weight from 260 lbs. Like Blume, I am okay with God over it.
I do worry some about my family.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Being WAY to practical and cautious, I've given up my first two passions as I got a little too old to really enjoy them safely (eyesight and hearing not bad, but certainly not where they should be). I shoot 'just a few rounds once a week' so as to have an excuse to handle by single actions and indulge in conversation with the cognoscenti at my shooting range. There's an old poem 'Desiderata' that has a single line that I've taken to heart:

"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."

I'm one of the lucky ones who has been truly blessed .... I'm a happy old man.

IMHO as always,
J.

gunzo

Buckeye
Hang in there guys. Do what ya can when ya can. Don't let the curtailment or loss of a hobby spell doom.

No motorcycle, a Mazda Miata, Vette, Porsche, of whatever fits the wallet is a good replacement. How bout a Jeep?

9's instead of 45's or 38's vs. 454's keep ya shootin.

If we don't feel the best tomorrow, we don't have to explain to a micro managing boss who just had a fight that morning with his wife, why you won't be in today.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
YEAH.... I forgot that gunzo....

We're RETIRED.... we can look in the mirror every morning and say: "I don't have to do a _______g thing today"

Everything else we can leave to "GOOD ATTITUDE" to take care of.

rkrcpa said:
Captain America said:

Ouch.

Was this an excuse to upgrade rather than a stock replacement? And who is the tuner? Local to SE Pa? Always in search of a good shop.

That’s for the throttle body and a tuner kit that I’ll program, the stock replacement is no longer available. I have free a flowing air cleaner and exhaust, when I upgraded to timing chains I put Screamin’ Eagle Cams in it, and if the cylinders ever start to leak I’ll punch it out to 95 inches so I’ll already have the proper throttle body and intake for more displacement…how’s that for rationalizing the cost :lol:

BTW…Dyno Dave at JD Cycles in Nazareth does outstanding high performance work.

gunzo

Buckeye
Captn.

You mentioned a 76 Superglide. When I bought mine it was stock except the gas tank although I did get the original that had several decals from the factory. A Bicentennial Edition. Wish I'd taken pics of the tank. Crushed glass in the paint.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
rkrcpa said:
Captain America said:

Ouch.

That’s for the throttle body and a tuner kit that I’ll program, the stock replacement is no longer available. I have free a flowing air cleaner and exhaust, when I upgraded to timing chains I put Screamin’ Eagle Cams in it, and if the cylinders ever start to leak I’ll punch it out to 95 inches so I’ll already have the proper throttle body and intake for more displacement…how’s that for rationalizing the cost :lol:

BTW…Dyno Dave at JD Cycles in Nazareth does outstanding high performance work.

Ahh, he did my last inspection. I have a set of SE255's to put in mine, that's who I will have do the work.

Stay in the wind as long as you can.

Latest posts