empty brass what to do

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Again, I'm at a crossroads. Everytime I go shooting, I always pick up a few pounds of empty brass which other people have just left on the ground. I shoot outside and it isn't a big deal if I pick it up or not. In otherwords, the range doesn't care.

But what to do with it? I now have a 3 gallon bucket of mixed cases and calibers. Today I found a bunch of Starline 38 Super brass. I'm not sure how much, I have to sort it out. But I've recycled it in the past. It's about a dollar something a pound for dirty brass at the recycle center. So I get 50 or 60 dollars every few months or so. I also found some nickle 357 cases. Those I'll keep. And I've got enough 9mm to last for years....

Is this the best thing to do though? I guess the only other option is to sort it and clean it and try to sell it. Do you think it would get more than the recycle center?

I guess this is what prompted my other thread about casting brass. I'd love to melt it all down into a big block. But for safety sakes, I think I'll keep away from molten metal.

NikA

Buckeye
You don't even have to sort it and clean it. Sell it as variety cartridge brass for like 1.5-2$/lb plus shipping. Then other people can sort it, clean it, or recycle it as they see fit. Guy on CastBoolits does this with sorted 9mm and .223 for 5¢ over scrap and always seems to sell out.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have a bucket that I save my sorted range brass CULLS in. I donate that and any scrap metal that I generate to the local Boy Scout troop.

Ha ha! That thought actually crossed my mind. The 38 Super looks like a fun cartridge. I'm not familiar with it though, but looks neat. Like a long 9mm or short 38 special.

I also constantly find lots of 40 S&W cases. The police and state patrol around my gun range go there for practice shoots. I suppose that is where all the 40 S&W come from.

contender

Ruger Guru
38 Super is a desirable caliber for competition shooters. It's EASY to sell for more than scrap prices. I get some occasionally as I clean my range,,, and when I have a few hundred,,, I can post it for sale via the USPSA & it goes quickly!

mikld

Blackhawk
If I were concerned with what to do with some brass, I would just leave it. I use most of my range pickups and give away what I have no use for. I'd sort and use what I could and if you want to, sell the rest for scrap and you wouIdnt have to deal with shipping. I think there at a lot of used brass vendors out there and competition would be tough...

I'm agreeing with you on this Contender and mikld. After going through the hassle of the post office losing a package from ebay, I'm not going to deal with the headaches of trying to sell a few odd pieces of brass.

30 Super: I did actually go ahead and de-prime and clean the 38 super brass I found. I found 83 or 84 pieces. After Easter I'm going to do something with them.

Thanks for everyone with their input. I especially like the donate to the boy scouts idea. I might start to do something like that. A friend of mine is a boy scout leader. He casts and has a couple pallets of lead in his garage from medical x-ray equipment. Which is supposed to be better quality I believe. Maybe I'll trade him some brass for lead and get started doing casting....hmmm...

I do need a blast furnace....

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
.45 Colt. No long to it

Hi,

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Are you guys EVER gonna quit beating the ground where that horse died decades ago? Two names, same cartridge, get over it:

390717.jpg

Now here's the one that doesn't exist--pure advertising hype:

782723.jpg

Rick C

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I know jimmy. When I go to gun shops. Order online Talk guns to buddies,,,, it's plain ole .45. Colt. I see a .41 Colt Long in my 1953 Lyman Ideal #39

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I know jimmy. When I go to gun shops. Order online Talk guns to buddies,,,, it's plain ole .45. Colt.

Hi,

And fortunately, it's a rimmed revolver cartridge so once you've got that nomenclature thing sorted out, you don't have to waste the other half of the day arguing about whether it works better in a clip or a magazine! ;)

We had some English visitors at the trap and skeet range once, and they needed cartridges for their 12 bore shotguns. They were relieved to learn that while we only had shotgun shells, in 12 gauge, they'd fit right in those guns. And who said being bilingual isn't an asset? Gun people can be such sticklers about the most trivial of things that they become, well... boring!

Rick C