Empty brass to face

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
SR1911NW is new and it kicks about half the fired brass into my face or head. I have checked the extractor tension with my Weingard gage and Wheeler trigger scale. The 6 tries gives a average tension of 20oz. Should I increase tension or decrease the tension. I have only fired the pistol 102 times so far.
Do you think it will correct this after firing more rounds or should I contact Prescott for advise?

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
I examined the Ruger extractor and compared it to a known good extractor. It appears that the Ruger extractor isn't beveled as much on the bottom of the hook. I am going to put in a known good extractor and shoot again next week, before doing anything else.
Thanks

Precision32

Blackhawk
The EJECTOR, not the extractor, tends to steer the spent case more than the extractor does.

What does the end of the ejector look like?

Example of "EXTRACTOR"

ejection1_zpshtvxhgxj.gif

and...

extractor_zpsw0cdzgpq.gif

Example of "EJECTOR"

Ejector_zpsuty39ex5.jpg

and...

1911EjectorAssortment_zpsvkqeer80.jpg

Which ejector do you have?

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
Once I fire the handgun with the known good extractor, I will examine the ejector in more depth, if the brass still hits me in the head/face. Thanks for the pictures of extractors and ejectors.

edlmann

Blackhawk
I had a 70 Series Colt that would try to put cases between my eyes. As if I didn't already have a flinch . . .

Actually landed one on the brim of a ball cap one day. Recontouring the end of the extractor was the fix.

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
I got out to shoot the SR1911NW today with the known good extractor installed. No brass to head or face, so the Ruger extractor hook needs a little work.
As far as brass to face goes, to me its a totally unaceptable condition when fired at 3:00AM and brass hits me in face or worse eye. So it must be fixed.
Thanks for all help

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
Just to toss in another idea, what pound recoil spring is in your's? A too heavy spring for the load used can slow down the slide enough to give stange ejection patterns with all else being ok.

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I've never owned a 1911 that didn't need a little tweaking to run 100%, most of them never really did.

Funny you mention that .... I've never had to do one thing to a 1911 ... But then I really only buy Colts. Mostly older Colts.

REV

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
I put a non Ruger extractor in that worked in another 1911. Problem solved, but my Ruger Night Watchman prefers factory loads or full strength reloads over slightly lighter loads. The slightly lighter loads had a couple that hit the top of my head, non in the face, so I can live with that. For serious work, I would use full power loads or factory stuff.