Email Scam Attempt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trebor44

Single-Sixer
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
Email scams, some are very obvious and some are very subtle. I had one questionable carbon based life form that responded via email to a WTS ad (another forum) after multiple responses, I got the one stating that he (?) would disassemble the weapon and mail it to me! Yeah right! Caution is the way to go when dealing on the Hive (internet/email)! When in doubt, get out!

cpaspr

Bearcat
I realize this thread is 3+ months old, but I had one of these about a week ago that was a bit different.

A month or so ago at work I responded to a survey, a real one, by Intuit, with an Amazon gift card promised as recompense for my time. About two weeks ago, on my work e-mail, I received an e-mail with a link to an Amazon gift card, by way of Intuit. Since I was expecting such an e-mail, it got through my mental filters. I clicked on the "redeem now" button in the e-mail, and it popped up with a redemption code. Click another button to redeem it. You can see where this is going, right? They claimed they needed to confirm a recent order on my account. Yeah, not awake enough, and I entered the credit card number. Where they screwed up was getting greedy and asking for my date of birth and SSN. No way do I give those out to anybody.

I left that screen up and logged in to my Amazon account on a second monitor. The $50 card wasn't showing as available to spend (surprised?), so I tried to redeem the number (again). It wouldn't redeem, so I started a chat with an Amazon rep. I still wasn't fully convinced ti was a scam yet. After about ten minutes of chat, and her checking my account, I was sure it was a fake e-mail. They finally snuck one past me, because their fake e-mail matched in content what I was expecting from Intuit for real . First time in over 15 years. I immediately cancelled the credit card, then changed my password on the Amazon account.

A bit different, but ultimately no harm done, other than having to get a new card.

Rule #1: NEVER give a credit card number to anyone over the phone!
RULE #2: NEVER give your SSAN to anyone unless it is when you are physically in YOUR bank.
That would be nice, but in the real world it is different.... I often have to pay for something over the phone with a credit card number and there are still certain places that need a SS Number... just recently for the The S.C. Law Enforcement Division. I'm still trying to figure out what some crook is going to do with that number... I guess sell it to a illegal so they can work and put money toward my account?

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Or maybe if you're dumb enough to answer a call from a number that isn't in your directory or is "private" or "blocked".

I hope everyone understands (or maybe some just don't give a damn) that there really are some honest attempts to contact by phone. For 2 1/2 years, my job required 'phone only' contact which was a disaster. I knew this at the beginning but had no choice--agency policy. Now three years later, we're trying to re-establish personal FTF relationships that in some cases are lost forever. I can't put a number on the dismissed, unanswered messages, 'block calls', refusal to answer "a number that's not in my contact list". Those who feel that they're SO IMPORTANT that they can't possibly have any interest in a conversation with 'someone not in their contact list' are likely not anyone I'd talk to anyway if I weren't getting paid to do so.
I'd be all sorts of pleased if it was a capital offense to conduct fraud by phone or internet and the offenders hung immediately upon conviction.

That would be nice, but in the real world it is different.... I often have to pay for something over the phone with a credit card number and there are still certain places that need a SS Number... just recently for the The S.C. Law Enforcement Division. I'm still trying to figure out what some crook is going to do with that number... I guess sell it to a illegal so they can work and put money toward my account?
I have lived in the 'real world' for 85+ years and so far those suggestions have worked for me.
What can a crook do?
1. Open new accounts
If someone has your SSN, they can open new accounts in your name. For example, they can open a checking account or set up an account with the local electric company. While some of these places will ask for more identifying information, such as a driver's license, it's common to only need a Social Security number and a matching date of birth to open an account.

2. File fraudulent tax returns
Your Social Security number is also used to file your taxes in most cases. Someone who has your SSN can file a fraudulent tax return in your name to be able to claim a refund or stimulus money. You often don't know that a fraudulent tax return has been filed until you go to file your own. It can take months to straighten things out with the IRS, and this can keep you from being able to access your own refund in the meantime.

3. Obtain medical care
If someone has your SSN, they can use it to get medical care at doctor's offices, hospitals and clinics. It can be months or even years before you realize this has happened. Many people don't know until they see a collection notice on their credit report for an account they weren't aware of or when they go to seek medical care at the same place.

4. Steal your benefits
If you use any kind of state or federal benefits, such as EBT, SNAP or Medicaid, they're tied to your SSN. That means someone else can also access these benefits if they have your Social Security number. Criminals are known to target unemployment benefits as well, and if you need to file for these benefits yourself after someone else has used your SSN fraudulently, it can take months to go through the process of proving your identity.

5. Commit crimes
While criminals don't actually use your SSN to commit crimes, they can provide it to law enforcement when they get caught. This could give you a criminal record you aren't even aware of and can affect everything from getting a job to qualifying for an apartment.

Paul B

Buckeye
Got one from FEDEX that really looked legit. Sat and studied it for a while. I'm thinking, since when does FEDEX not just keave a package? The reason it was bothering me is my Stepdaughter is sending me care packages off and non, mostly DVD movies to complete my collection. I gave he a call and asked if she's sent a package in the last day or so and she said no. The picture I got of the package in the E-mail was the wrong size fo a mailed DVD as well. I deleted that E-mail. Whoever did that one was good. It came very close to fooling me. Just another one to watch out for.
Paul B.

rex1

Bearcat
One of the best i remember,
wife gets phone call saying they were IRS, she owes $5000.00, if she does not pay, they will send police to arrest her, I take her ph and explain who i am and want to settle this, ask me how much i could send, told him all of it (at this point he got real excited) ask him where to send it. He said go to WALMAT and buy money order and call him, he would tell me where to send it. at this point i could not hold back my laughter, told him how stupid this was. Laughed all day

caryc

Hawkeye
I know we've probably all got those calls about something (usually something like a phone or computer) that was supposedly ordered on our Amazon accounts and if you're dumb enough to believe these jerks they try and get your bank or account info. Got a little different one today. This one came through email and they wanted me to call about my PayPal account. Looked like this...

Dear PayPal Customer
We notice unauthorized transaction from your PayPal account,
If This Transaction Is Not Made by You Then Kindly Call Us for Cancellation of this Order
Otherwise, your $746.58USD will be charge today
Your Order Information
Description​
Quantity​
Unit Price​
Total Price​
Google Pixel (128 GB)
{PHONE}
[ 1 ]​
$746.58USD​
$746.58USD​

Items Ordered: 1 Your Billing Information
$746.58USD charge Will be from your PayPal account
Thank you for your recent order with us. If you have any questions or want a refund for this order, please call on our Helpline Number:- +1(641) 505-6140.

Your order number :- (ZVSXW5T3-E8H4E7-5SD)
Transaction Id :- (312EW4SD6FT-8CIV8V-9J8)

Total Amount will be charge= $746.58USD
Customer Service Helpline:- +1(641) 505-6140.
If you want to cancel this order, give us on the Helpline Number:- +1(641) 505-6140.
(NOTICE- DO NOT REPLY THIS EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO HELP SO CALL OUR HELP LINE NO= +1(641) 505-6140.
Thank You
General Manager
Harry Devid

...of course, when I checked the PayPal account there has been no activity since someone sent me some money about 2 months ago. Just info for everyone that they don't just limit themselves to phone calls. Maybe give some of your more vulnerable (elderly) relatives heads up on this kind of thing too.
Isn't it strange that you have a Paypal account but they don't know your name? "Dear Paypal Customer" 😁

Latest posts