Ejector for No. 1 / No. 3 45-70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
Looking for anyone willing to part with an ejector for a 45-70 No. 1 or No. 3. Mine is chipped making extraction unreliable. Let me know how much it costs to get one off your hands. I'd rather not weld it up. I called Ruger, they don't have any in stock. Thanks.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
IIRC there are several gunsmiths who work on the No 1/3, track them down. They may have a stash of spares for their custom work. Don't remember the names but bet someone on the forum does.

RSIno1

Hunter
There are a few on ebay. You'll need to see if any are the same for 45-70 as the state other calibers. There is a 45-70 one for a No3 - are they the same part?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tom, I have a couple of extra extractors I picked up when I was trying to find the one that would work on a rebarreled/new caliber No. 1 Send me a PM with your address and I will send them to you to try. If one works we can work out the price.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
It turns out I don't need a new ejector. I discovered that the ejector was not slipping behind the rim. I was able to push it with a pick and it snapped behind the rim and then ejected fine. So, now I just need to figure that problem out!

RSIno1

Hunter
It turns out I don't need a new ejector. I discovered that the ejector was not slipping behind the rim. I was able to push it with a pick and it snapped behind the rim and then ejected fine. So, now I just need to figure that problem out!
CARTRIDGE EXTRACTION AND EJECTION
When the lever is lowered the fired cartridge case is automatically extracted and
ejected. Check the chamber to be sure it is empty before closing the lever. If
automatic ejection is not desired, remove the forearm and back-off the ejector
strut adjustment screw until the ejector spring unit can be removed.
(See Figure 6.) The ejector will then function as an extractor only, and the
cartridge (or fired cartridge case) will be partially removed from the chamber by
the final downward motion of the lever. If the ejector spring unit is replaced, do
not over-tighten the ejector strut adjustment screw because that will bind the
action. The force of ejection can be altered to some extent by moving the
adjustment screw.
1685226985324.png

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I spoke with Roger Renner, and he gave me some ideas to fix the problem. JiminMaine has also kindly offered to send me some spares to try out. Hopefully the one I have is just out of spec and one of the others will work. Roger's alternative is to heat and bend the ejector. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the problem, and I'll post an update when I get this solved one way or the other. Thanks.