ejector alignment pawl on new vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I notice when you pull the hammer back and look down in there you can see the hex screw that holds the ejector alignment pawl in place. I was thinking if you took that out you would probably have a free spin cylinder. Has anyone done that and what are the advantages of a free spin cylinder? Thanks

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yes, your idea is correct. The "reverse indexing pawl" is what Ruger calls the little spring and plunger assembly. The "main" pawl is indeed a "free spin" design, one with an extension that contacts the cylinder frame and retracts the pawl away from the cylinder's ratchet when the hammer is at the "at rest" position.

Me? I don't care for the free spin design. It was designed specifically for the "big bore" guns, i.e. .475 Linebaugh and larger, to permit reverse rotation of the cylinder in the case a bullet "jumped the crimp" so the offending cartridge could be ejected.

Lots of folks have wonderful experiences with the design.

JMHO,

flatgate

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I like the free spin on my Vaquero's. The biggest reason is, I can do the free spin mod for free and the half cock set up is more than I want to pay :)

The Vaquero does not line up "correctly" when ejecting the empties. Meaning with the cylinder gate open and turning the cylinder clock wise, if you hear a click you have gone to far and can not eject the shell or round. The only way to get back to it is to rotate the cylinder another complete turn. the free spin allows you to back up and eject the round (actually the free spin you wont hear the click).

The New Vaquero indexes correctly so this isn't as much of an issue. On the New Vaquero with the gate open and turning the cylinder clock wise, when you hear the click you are lined up to eject the round.

If my Vaquero worked like a New Vaquero I don't think I would do the free spin. :)

Rclark

Hunter
If my Vaquero worked like a New Vaquero I don't think I would do the free spin.
Ditto. The 50th .44, .357, Lipsey .44 Special, and New Vaqueros don't 'need' the free-spin mod :) .

flatgate

Hawkeye
Rclark":2cr9b8e3 said:
The 50th .44, .357, Lipsey .44 Special, and New Vaqueros don't 'need' the free-spin mod :)

But they all have free spin pawls as shipped from the Factory. The "reverse indexing pawl" takes over when the mail pawl is retracted by allowing the hammer to set at it's "at rest" position.

:D

flatgate

PS Somewhere, in my foggy memory bank, is a notion that Ruger acquired "rights" to use Ron Powers' Free Spin Pawl design. But, I ain't sure if I'm right on this or not.........

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
[/quote]But they all have free spin pawls as shipped from the Factory. The "reverse indexing pawl" takes over when the mail pawl is retracted by allowing the hammer to set at it's "at rest" position.[/quote]............

YEP!

flatgate

[/quote] PS Somewhere, in my foggy memory bank, is a notion that Ruger acquired "rights" to use Ron Powers' Free Spin Pawl design. But, I ain't sure if I'm right on this or not.........[/quote]

NOPE!

Dale53

Blackhawk
I'll say this, my new .44 Lipsey Special and my 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum both have the new pawl set up and it is nearly WONDERFUL compared to my Vaquero. I really like my Vaquero but would welcome the new system on my Vaquero.

Years ago I had a .32 H&R Mag Ruger Single Six that really had too small an opening under the cylinder gate. You REALLY had to have it lined up perfectly to even use it (and I mean PERFECTLY :x ). It was really aggravating and would have benefited greatly from the new system plus a wider opening. Wonder why Ruger took fifty years to fix this?

At any rate, I am appreciative with what I have in the two latest.

Dale53

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I pulled the reverse-index pin on my NewVaq and prefer it. It spins quieter in both directions, spins smoother and there's less wear going on at the cylinder's ratchet teeth. Yes, it'll take a LONG time for that wear to be an issue but, it could happen.

Removing that hex screw and the spring and plunger underneath it also means one less part to fail. If the plunger ever broke, the spring or plunger pieces could get tangled up in there and tie the gun up. GRANTED, there's no record of it happening yet but on a high mileage gun, it seems possible.