Eject or extract

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ratshot

Bearcat
I just bought my first #1 ,in 7mm mag,made in 1985 and only had 45 shots through it from new. I thought the #1 could be set up so that you could either eject the brass in the field or just extract it on the bench and not have to go chase it.The seller didn't know and I don't either,am I confused with some other brand of rifle?

A

Anonymous

Unless they have changed over the past few years since I had one you could remove the forend and ease tension on the ejector spring via a few turns of the tension screw yielding tie ejector to a mere extractor or somewhere in between. like wise if you tighten it up you can launch the cases into the next county.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Itchy":2wwa5iif said:
Unless they have changed over the past few years since I had one you could remove the forend and ease tension on the ejector spring via a few turns of the tension screw yielding tie ejector to a mere extractor or somewhere in between. like wise if you tighten it up you can launch the cases into the next county.

I believe this is still correct. I have done it on a 1981 model, it is no problem, even if you are not mechanically inclined.

captainkirk

picketpin

Buckeye
as stated just remove the forearm and adjust the set screw at the front of the ejector/exctractor spring.

You can set it up to fling the brass or just kick it out. I actually remove the whole ejector mechanism on all my varmint caliber #1s. Sometime if you set it realy really low it can work out all the way. Just as easy to remove the set screw, strut and spring and then the rifle just extracts into the loading port. Keep the stuff and a pill bottle and you can always put it back if you want to eject or want to sell the rifle as original at a later date.

I must have a dozen or more in a bottle on the bench. ;-)

RWT

dmazur

Bearcat
I set up a .243 and a .30-06 to eject forcefully (over my shoulder, if I tip the rifle slightly) when hunting.

However, on the bench I didn't want to chase the brass, and I also didn't want to mess with the ejector tension (even though it is quite easy, as described in a previous post.)

I found out that if I put my right thumb in front of the safety as I operated the lever with my left hand, the brass would eject and bounce off my thumb, stopping in the loading groove. Easy to pick up and put it where you want before loading another round.

This also works when unloading the rifle when returning to your truck. Balance the butt against your thigh, hold the rifle firmly with your right hand on the pistol grip, thumb in front of the safety. (Safety can be on or off, but it should be on of course...) Then, operate the lever with your left hand. Loaded cartridge ejects and bounces on thumb tip, but will not fall to ground. Move left hand to forend, lower rifle to horizontal, capture ejected round and store it where you want it to go.

It actually looks a lot more elegant than it sounds in words... :)

Latest posts