Eight "best" ways (involves LE)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kmoore

Buckeye
The biggest problem with ANYONE in ANY job. Those who feel some type of ENTITLEMENT due to their job, past or present. It takes strong morals to not fall into those situations. I have heard many say something that don't make sense to you and I, but it did to that person. Examples, bank robber said, he was entitled to the stolen money because he took the risk to get it. Cop said, he took the drug money because the crook was not getting to keep it anyway, he should take some. A guy said, He works really hard during the week and is allowed to get drunk and drive on Friday nights.
My opinion, DC is full of people who feel entitled to do many things they should not by rule or law, but do it anyway.

Last edited:

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
The biggest problem with ANYONE in ANY job. Those who feel some type of ENTITLEMENT due to their job, past or present. It takes strong morals to not fall into those situations. I have heard many say something that don't make sense to you and I, but it did to person. Examples, bank robber said, he was entitled to the stolen money because he took the risk to get it. Cop said, he took the drug money because the crook was not getting to keep it anyway, he should take some. A guy said, He works really hard during the week and is allowed to get drunk and drive on Friday nights.
My opinion, DC is full of people who feel entitled to do many things they should not by rule or law, but do it anyway.
Unfortunate, but very true. Entitlement has somehow become part of the new norm for many people. The ability of human beings to rationalize their behavior knows no bounds! One of history's most prevalent rationalization for evil, "I was only following orders" .

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Snake your entitled to your opinions, that's what they are. Being on the other side and knowing what's real police work. How budgets are made and where the money goes maybe not be exactly the same everywhere in the US. But at least I stated facts not opinions. Some just hate or dislike police no matter what. No matter what I said you will disagree.
Actually I don't hate Police at all. But, like everything else in life, there are good ones and not so good ones. The problem becomes when you run into a "not so good "one. They know it all, they have all the answers, they are right no matter what, their word is better than yours. Where else in this country does that happen? I say to you, that its changing and changing fast. People are no longer going to put up with the one sided equation. IMHO

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'll lighten up the mood.

I drove test cars for a living. Not just driving, there was more involved, but there was a ton of seat time in prototype vehicles and I have a couple stories.

1) I was leaving on a test trip Monday. My car came out of the update/modify garage Friday at closing time. Normally we get a couple shake down days before a trip with a modified car. Obviously that didn't happen. While driving the car over the weekend I found a lonely stretch of road and was doing my own shakedown. Blue lights start flashing behind me. The officer asks if I know why I'm being pulled over. I tell him what i suspect and then explain why i was doing what I was doing. Seeing the registration is for the company he looks at me. Looks at the car and says "I'm a stock holder make me some money and from now on test on the track. Have a good trip."

2) Driving to a shoot many hours away in a test truck at about 5am. Going through a known speed trap I keep my speed at a solid 5 under the limit. Bluelights start flashing. The officer comes up and asks if I know why. This time I have no clue. "you were doing 65" (15 over) A reflexive "NO WAY IN HELL!" response popped out of mouth followed by an immediate "I'm sorry but that can't be right." He tells me it is and I tell him I knew there was always a trap there and I was monitoring my speed closely this doesn't make sense. While he is writing me up my brain is scrambling. Then it occurs to me we had been swapping axles. (axle ratio changes for different truck types) By doing that we mess up the speedometer calibration. When he comes back I explain what I think is the cause. He tells me if you can prove it to me at your hearing I'll let it go. I then ask him to me a favor. I wanted to drive past him twice. Once at 35 and once at 45. Then stop and see what his radar said as I had another 150 miles to go and didn't want a dozen tickets. He obliged and the speedo was way off, but I knew the difference so I could stay legal. A couple weeks later I went to court with some factory documentation, math showing what each change did, and garage work orders he immediately signed off.

I must admit that worked so well I may have used it a time or two................. (I also feel vindicated for the time I was NOT the speeder but got hammered with a 30 over due to some perfect timing and a well placed exit for the guy that was speeding. Long story)

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I'll lighten up the mood.

I drove test cars for a living. Not just driving, there was more involved, but there was a ton of seat time in prototype vehicles and I have a couple stories.

1) I was leaving on a test trip Monday. My car came out of the update/modify garage Friday at closing time. Normally we get a couple shake down days before a trip with a modified car. Obviously that didn't happen. While driving the car over the weekend I found a lonely stretch of road and was doing my own shakedown. Blue lights start flashing behind me. The officer asks if I know why I'm being pulled over. I tell him what i suspect and then explain why i was doing what I was doing. Seeing the registration is for the company he looks at me. Looks at the car and says "I'm a stock holder make me some money and from now on test on the track. Have a good trip."

2) Driving to a shoot many hours away in a test truck at about 5am. Going through a known speed trap I keep my speed at a solid 5 under the limit. Bluelights start flashing. The officer comes up and asks if I know why. This time I have no clue. "you were doing 65" (15 over) A reflexive "NO WAY IN HELL!" response popped out of mouth followed by an immediate "I'm sorry but that can't be right." He tells me it is and I tell him I knew there was always a trap there and I was monitoring my speed closely this doesn't make sense. While he is writing me up my brain is scrambling. Then it occurs to me we had been swapping axles. (axle ratio changes for different truck types) By doing that we mess up the speedometer calibration. When he comes back I explain what I think is the cause. He tells me if you can prove it to me at your hearing I'll let it go. I then ask him to me a favor. I wanted to drive past him twice. Once at 35 and once at 45. Then stop and see what his radar said as I had another 150 miles to go and didn't want a dozen tickets. He obliged and the speedo was way off, but I knew the difference so I could stay legal. A couple weeks later I went to court with some factory documentation, math showing what each change did, and garage work orders he immediately signed off.

I must admit that worked so well I may have used it a time or two................. (I also feel vindicated for the time I was NOT the speeder but got hammered with a 30 over due to some perfect timing and a well placed exit for the guy that was speeding. Long story)
Same thing happen ot me on a motorcycle. Changed the size of the front wheel from a 16 to a 21 in. Never thought about the fact that the speedo is connected to it! Oh well!! I have another story.

Driving in PA on the Turnpike, not paying to mush attention to my speed, but I had a radar indicator on my dash, but a clear day, little to no traffic, next thing I know State Trooper behind me. Yup, pulls me over, tells me I was speeding etc. I said, gee Officer can you cut me a break on the tkt? He said, he would reduce it a few mph so less points, then he leans on the window, reaches in with his pencil and taps on the radar finder on my dash..he looks at me and says..if you want to play, you have to pay! I couldn't help but laugh.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Desmond Morris in "The Naked Ape" talks about getting tickets and how to handle it.

Interesting (I think) related story:

I was scheduled for an early AM meeting with upper management in Lacey (Near Olympia). I also had to stop in at Law Enforcement in Lacey, WA to make a delivery. My boss farted around an I was late (LE closed @ 4PM). I went over the Cascades and took a shortcut over Tiger Summit. I was doing about 70 mph in a Department of the Interior rig. Most states don't give tickets to gov't vehicles (We have all kinds of defensive driving, winter driving and off-road driving classes) but Washington delights in doing so.

Anyway, a "WaSP" (Washington State Patrol) pulls me over.

Him: "I pulled you over for speeding. What is the hurry?"

Me: "You won't believe it if I tell you"

Him: "If you can tell me something I've never heard before, I will let you off with a warning!"

Me: "I have a dead bald eagle frozen in the cooler in the backseat and I have to get it to the USFWS Special Agents before 4 PM when they close, so they can do a necropsy. Otherwise, it will thaw. It's evidence in a poaching case."

(He looks in the cooler and opens the bag. He then hands me my license back).

Him: "Have a nice day and keep the speed down!"

While I agree with the original post one habit my ex brother in law had was to ask "do you know why I pulled you over."
Having been stopped, and honestly not knowing why, I was asked that very question. I answered: "No, but I have a feeling you are about to tell me." He then looked in the car and saw two pair of vise grips where the shifted normally is. He questioned why. I explained that a shifter cable had broken and I had to rig something to get me home and it was "interesting" to shift so I wasn't really paying attention to the speed limit. He looked at the rig I had asked where I was going. I told him home, if I didn't have to shift too many more times. He asked how far I had to go. Told him about a mile. He laughed, said that I had enough trouble for one day. Said "Take it easy." and left.

Last edited:
Desmond Morris in "The Naked Ape" talks about getting tickets and how to handle it.

Interesting (I think) related story:

I was scheduled for an early AM meeting with upper management in Lacey (Near Olympia). I also had to stop in at Law Enforcement in Lacey, WA to make a delivery. My boss farted around an I was late (LE closed @ 4PM). I went over the Cascades and took a shortcut over Tiger Summit. I was doing about 70 mph in a Department of the Interior rig. Most states don't give tickets to gov't vehicles (We have all kinds of defensive driving, winter driving and off-road driving classes) but Washington delights in doing so.

Anyway, a "WaSP" (Washington State Patrol) pulls me over.

Him: "I pulled you over for speeding. What is the hurry?"

Me: "You won't believe it if I tell you"

Him: "If you can tell me something I've never heard before, I will let you off with a warning!"

Me: "I have a dead bald eagle frozen in the cooler in the backseat and I have to get it to the USFWS Special Agents before 4 PM when they close, so they can do a necropsy. Otherwise, it will thaw. It's evidence in a poaching case."

(He looks in the cooler and opens the bag. He then hands me my license back).

Him: "Have a nice day and keep the speed down!"
I gotta get me a dead bald eagle!
I wonder if a possibly rabid woodchuck would work?

Latest posts