Eh; What's that you say ?????????????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
:roll:
Went to the VA Audiology Department for a hearing test yesterday. I thought JUST the left ear had a problem; Seems the testing revealed that BOTH ears have hearing problems at different frequencies from each other :shock: :shock:; :cry: :cry: :cry: SIGH
I go back Nov 16th for my hearing aids and instructions on how to use them. :? :?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pete44ru

Hunter

Good - The VA supplies me with new eyeglasses each year.

BTW, lay in a stock or hearing aid batteries, and change them out often - and NEVER forget to remove them before showering (don't ask me how I learned that tidbit).

exavid

Hunter
I've been using hearing aids for about four years now. Lost most of my hearing above 3kHz. I'm sure that most of the damage was done in an explosion in my barracks back in '66 just before processing out at my ETS. I didn't notice the loss for some time, don't know why, just didn't and hearing tests weren't part of the separation medical. My wife kept mumbling so much that she got tired of hearing me say "what?" too many times. I got mine from Costco, one of the few suppliers whose employees don't work on commission. If you don't need 'em they won't push you to buy. My new pair link to my iPhone so I can control the programs, adjust volume, mute, or adjust the base and treble with the phone app. They can link via Bluetooth through the phone so I don't have to hold the thing up to my ear when I get or make a call. Very handy. $1800 for the pair wasn't bad as these things go and lucky for me my insurance will pay up to $2500 every three years. Only down side is that if I pull my phone out of my pocket when the wife is talking to me she gives me the evil eye and says, "don't you dare shut your ears off".

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
WHAT? Sorry...did you leave the concealed carry at home this time? What's become of that story? Anything new to report?

I talked with an attorney recommended by the NRA; He is looking into it for me.
Yes, this time I remembered as I was getting dressed to take the IWB holster off before putting my jeans on so I didn't automatically stick in my SR9 as usual.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
exavid said:
I've been using hearing aids for about four years now. Lost most of my hearing above 3kHz. I'm sure that most of the damage was done in an explosion in my barracks back in '66 just before processing out at my ETS. I didn't notice the loss for some time, don't know why, just didn't and hearing tests weren't part of the separation medical. My wife kept mumbling so much that she got tired of hearing me say "what?" too many times. I got mine from Costco, one of the few suppliers whose employees don't work on commission. If you don't need 'em they won't push you to buy. My new pair link to my iPhone so I can control the programs, adjust volume, mute, or adjust the base and treble with the phone app. They can link via Bluetooth through the phone so I don't have to hold the thing up to my ear when I get or make a call. Very handy. $1800 for the pair wasn't bad as these things go and lucky for me my insurance will pay up to $2500 every three years. Only down side is that if I pull my phone out of my pocket when the wife is talking to me she gives me the evil eye and says, "don't you dare shut your ears off".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh this WEE hour of the morning. I had a friend in High school whose Dad wore hearing aids; His Mom and Dad would get into an argument; The Dad would have his final "SAY", then shut off his hearing aid and read the paper while his Mom RAVED like a maniac.
I don't know what features the ones I picked out will have; yours sound like a great pair to have. I could have opted for those that stick into the ear, but I HATE things like that stuck deep into my ear; The ones I selected are Small units the sit behind the ear with a small plug that goes into the ear. We'll see what they are like on the 16th.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
pete44ru said:

Good - The VA supplies me with new eyeglasses each year.

BTW, lay in a stock or hearing aid batteries, and change them out often - and NEVER forget to remove them before showering (don't ask me how I learned that tidbit).

Yuppers Pete, I'm on THAT program too, PLUS every Six months they check on the "Freckle" on my right Retina that is right by the optic nerve to make sure it is NOT growing. Great advice on the batteries though, I'll keep it in mind.

volshooter

Buckeye
My Dad was a vet and his "ears" were provided by the VA. I hear a lot of complaining about the VA but my dad was treated well.
While dad could, hear he could not tell the direction. When rabbit hunting he had to keep watch on me for which direction the dogs were coming from, I would motion. Some folks laughed but dad usually killed the most bunnies.
Good luck with the ears. I wish my best friend would get some, it makes me hoarse trying to talk to him.

coach

Hunter
Not military service related, but my mother in law is too vain to wear a hearing aide even though she has one. She thinks it makes her look old at 90. :roll:
Talking extra loud and to her face and repeating yourself gets old especially when it can be fixed easily gets old.

vito

Hunter
I hope you have better luck with the hearing aids than I have had. I've got 10% disability for hearing and tinnitus from the V.A., and they've tried me on several different types of hearing aids. After a very few hours the irritation of the aids in my ears drives me crazy and I have to remove them. After awhile I find I just stop using the hearing aids, then my wife starts bugging me again complaining that I can't hear her and she has to repeat everything. I'll be going back to the V.A. early next year and hopefully will have better luck in the future, but I've been going through this for about 20 years now. Maybe I'm just going to have to live with bad hearing.

And although I know that the V.A. has its problems, and that I only use them for hearing issues, I really can't complain about their professionalism and responsiveness. It took me about a year to get my first appointment, but once I was into their system I can usually get an appointment within weeks of when I request it.

Latest posts