Ec9s first time shooting report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bull Barrel

Hunter
The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi Rive
In another thread I said I bought a new EC9s.
Went to my son's in AL and set up some "dead soldiers" at about 15 ft.
Loaded it up with some Wolf 115 gr.
First mag the slide locked open on about the 3rd shot. Worked fine the final rounds.
Reloaded and had a fail to feed. Round didn't go into the chamber. Might be the ammo, might be me. The forward edge of the nameplate was cutting into the middle joint of my pinky. Might have been limp writing. Finished the mag.
Reloaded and extended my pinky. Low and left, definite limp wrist. Sucked it up and finished the mag.
Then loaded up some Federal 115 gr.
Ran flawlessly. Back to the wolf and ran fine.
I attribute the slide locking open and FTF to me. My son had no problems. More Fed and it was flawless even with rapid fire.
Conclusions...nice little pistol. Plenty accurate and the trigger is better than expected.
Needs a different shaped mag nameplate or extended mag for me. Sights? Couldn't see em but as this is a personal defense tool its a point n shoot. Still when I could see them it was plenty accurate.
One thing my son noticed was the safety. To him it was opposite of what he is used to. The Ruger pivots from the front. He's used to them pivoting at the back. Minor, but different. You still push down with the thumb.
I'll get the extended mag and try to round off the front of the standard.
Good job, Ruger!

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought my EC9s in December 2018. I've run a couple of hundred rounds, FMJ and hollow points through it. Never had a FTF. Hits where i aim it.

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
I was getting FTF with my EC9S when I first bought it with reloads. After putting 500 rounds through it, cleaning after almost every use, it runs flawlessly. I attribute the FTF's to a break in period (its the best guess on my part).

Ron IL

Bearcat
I have at least 500 through mine. All reloads except the self defence stuff I tested. Never have had one problem and no problem hitting a water bottle at 25 yards. Good pocket gun.

Bull Barrel

Hunter
The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi Rive
UPDATE
I filed off the sharp leading edge of the mag baseplate.
Took it to a friend's house and ran a couple mags through it, both Wolf and Federal.
Ran perfectly. No more digging into the pinky.
A few days later went to another friend's house and ran a bunch through it. No one had any problems and just for grins I ran a mag through as fast as I could, which I am told is pretty fast.
Not a lick of a problem.
Everyone commented on its accuracy and nice trigger pull.
I'm satisfied, this is a keeper! Glad I gave the gun another chance before sending it off to Ruger.

Latest posts