eBay wants your bank info...ah...NO!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redhawker

Buckeye
I know a lot of people don't like eBay but over the years I have occasionally sold a few items when I had something to dispose of that I thought might be worth a few bucks to someone. I probably hadn't sold anything on eBay for at least 6 months but my DIL had a Lion King commemorative coin that looked like it might be worth a few dollars so I put it up on eBay for her. It sold and when I went to get my money from eBay I discovered that they didn't use PayPal anymore. Usually, I would just have them send the money to my PayPal account and then I'd just leave it there until I purchased something and utilized PayPal to pay for the item and I'd just use the balance there. eBay said I had to update my account info to get paid. So, no more PayPal so to pay me they wanted my bank routing number, account number AND an agreement from me that they could withdraw fees etc. whenever they wanted. Ah...yeah...no way am I going to agree to that. So, I contacted eBay and there is absolutely no alternative way of getting paid by them. No checks, no nothing. I told eBay they can pound sand and sit on my money until it rots if they thought that was fair but I'm not giving them my account info along with unfettered access to my account. I'm sure this was probably mentioned in one of those "terms of service" updates that no one reads because they're too long but something like this you'd think they'd send out a notice on that specificly so people would be aware. Anyway, they only got $14 and some change of my money so I guess I'm lucky it wasn't something expensive I sold. So, in case anyone who occasionally sells on eBay hasn't heard about this just a heads up.

Thanks! Yes, I rarely sell anything on eBay. Last thing was maybe 2 years ago. This is weird, I thought they bought PayPal just for use on eBay transactions.

I’ll steer clear of them if this is the case. Besides, the last few times I’ve sold anything it was 25% in commission and fees, so what a losing proposition.

I’ve found a few well intentioned thrift stores that help single mothers and battered women, I would rather donate to them and let them profit.

hittman

Staff member
That’s been eBay policy for YEARS.
I think the affiliation with PayPal ended at that same time.

The only time I ever had accounts hacked on line were eBay and PayPal.

eBay asked me probably 10 years ago for my banking info and I only BOUGHT there, never sold. That’s when I quit.

tazbigdog

Single-Sixer
Same thing happened to me. They eliminated PayPal and wanted my bank account number, routing information, etc. I stopped selling on ebay.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I had not heard this until now. It's been a couple of years since I last sold anything on eBay. I don't think will again.

XP100

Blackhawk
When this starte last year I opened a savings acount and that is only used for ebay. They also charge the buyer state sales tak on purchases. I paid the tax when I bought the item retail now all the states get to tax a person to person transaction. Pure greed on the states part. If an old item gets sold 5 or 6 times they collect each time. I also notices most of the stuff I sell there are not selling as high as they once were. I never figures it out but I think they are getting fianal value fee on the tax and shipping fees. I don't sell near as much there now and when I do I check items like I am trying to sell on their site to see what they are bringing. Also if you sell over a certain $ amount in a certain period you will be getting a 1099 of some sort at years end to claim as income on the taxes.

Last edited:

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
If you buy only on Ebay you do not have to give them anything. When you fill out your account, do not use your real birthday etc. Use another phone ($20 bucks). You can also set up a separate bank acct with $50 bucks in it and give them access to that. It is a pita and designed to help EBay ,not you. PayPal is no better, if there is ever an issue, you are screwed until they decide what they want to do., with YOUR money.That is why I closed my PayPal acct a few years ago also due to their anti 2ndAmend stance. I would love to sell a few items on EBay again, but I frankly do not know if I want to put up with their shhheeet! The average fees for a std transaction runs 12-15% percent especially if you use Pay Pal. I can sell most things on GB and it costs 6-7%.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
When this starte last year I opened a savings acount and that is only used for ebay. They also charge the buyer state sales tak on purchases. I paid the tax when I bought the item retail now all the states get to tax a person to person transaction. Pure greed on the states part. If an old item gets sold 5 or 6 times they collect each time. I also notices most of the stuff I sell there are not selling as high as they once were. I never figures it out but I think they are getting fianal value fee on the tax and shipping fees. I don't sell near as much there now and when I do I check items like I am trying to sell on their site to see what they are bringing. Also if you sell over a certain $ amount in a certain period you will be getting a 1099 of some sort at years end to claim as income on the taxes.
They do not get 'final value " fee on tax, but they do get it on the shipping!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
EBay was originally designed for people to buy and sell items individually, then the EBAY SELLERS took over, which is jsut a front for a large corp store. DO you really think the guy who is listing on line has all 37,000 items in his garage? LOL,LOL! Once the Stores took over the States became interested because people were using on line sales to avoid taxes. It is what it is. So, the States stepped in and said, no more. I lived in PA and used to go to Delaware to buy large ticket items like appliances, TV's, computers because there was ZERO sales tax. Everyone did it. You needed to have a pick up or large SUV etc, because if yo had it "shipped" you paid tax! So you had to take it with you to avoid taxes.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Thanks for all the info. I have been debating selling some of the stuff I have accumulated over the years but it seems I have waited too long to use ebay. I just recently got a paypal account and almost didn't give them my bank and cc info for the same reasons.

contender

Ruger Guru
I used to use sleezebay long ago. I still look at stuff occasionally,, and I can still buy there. But when they went to pay-me-pal, along with the anti-2nd Amendment attitude,, I felt they should not get my money.
Sadly, sometimes it's the only place I can find something I need. But, not very often.
But giving them my bank acct info, or other such stuff,, NEVER happen. I do get "alerts" to "update" my sleezebay acct info,, and I just ignore them. If they decide to shut me down,, no big loss.
What started as a good thing,, became about greed,, and got ruined.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I used to use sleezebay long ago. I still look at stuff occasionally,, and I can still buy there. But when they went to pay-me-pal, along with the anti-2nd Amendment attitude,, I felt they should not get my money.
Sadly, sometimes it's the only place I can find something I need. But, not very often.
But giving them my bank acct info, or other such stuff,, NEVER happen. I do get "alerts" to "update" my sleezebay acct info,, and I just ignore them. If they decide to shut me down,, no big loss.
What started as a good thing,, became about greed,, and got ruined.
I think how you feel it=s a pretty standard feeling for many who have left that site. It is not what it once was.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I had a run-in with a guy on eBay several years back. I "bought" an item, sent the check,
and waited, and waited, and waited. (10 days IIRC) I then said WHERE'S MY STUFF. The
reply was that he "had to find all of it before shipping". My reply was to either ship my stuff
that day, or return MY check! - - - He got pissed, returned my check, and proceeded to
whine about all of it for several years.

Needless to say, I have yet to purchase anything from there since.

Latest posts