Early Single Six Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Have a pristine (unfired until I got it) Single Six that shoots as tight as my target model semi-auto. Unfortunately, it shoots these extremely tight groups 6 inches high at 10 yards!

I either have to get a taller front sight, or a lower rear sight. I don't want to take a file to the original rear sight. Does anyone make rear sights for these old guns (I tried gunparts).

Is the front sight soldered?

Thanks

Dan

flatgate

Hawkeye
It may be sighted for longer ranges.........

I've never tried shooting so close. 25 yards is about my minimum.

JMHO,

flatgate

PS If you could find one of the old Micro front sights that slip over the Single-Six's blade.....

120873523.jpg

There's one in the upper end of the upper bag in the image above.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Flatgate

I'm a 25 yard shooter as well, but this was the first time out with the gun and I wanted to see where she was shooting as it was unfired in the original box. Once I saw where it was hitting, I didn't see any reason to move the target farther out. 6 inches at 10 yards is not going to equate to dead on at 25 with a .22lr pistol.

I do appreciate your p.s. even though I detected a note of "range snobbery" to your reply.

Regards

Dan

hey, there is NO close for Mr Flatgate, heck he just may be shooting mountain top to mountain top.......or with a LONG range rifle strung on his back while he's skiing, DOWN them mountain tops :roll: :lol: :lol:

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
I like mountain top to mountain top shooting. It's where I do my best work. I sight my 4" revolvers so that they hit dead on at 50 yards, but I don't "rest" them at that range. Strictly off hand. If the barrels are 6" or longer, they have to make a 2.5 pound coffee can jump at 100 yards off hand or they get tossed in the junk heap. Well not really, in truth I have never had a quality handgun that wouldn't make the coffee can jump at 100 yards.

I just thought his comment less helpful than his "p.s."

Dan

flatgate

Hawkeye
No snobbery, just the truth. I have no idea where any of my guns "print" at any thing less than 25 yards and usually I use 35 yards, especially with +.40 cal. stuff.

OK, I shoot Super Colibri (sp?) at the Mormon Crickets at 20 feet and it does take some sight adjustments.

44617540.jpg

YMMV,

flatgate