Early Ruger Model 77 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tdg23113

Bearcat
I have an early Ruger Model 77 that has the earl "flat dogleg" bolt. It is chambered in 220 Swift and it is extremely accurate. I bought it used at a Richmond VA gun show the day we brought my new baby daughter home from the hospital in Oct 1974. Not sure how old it was but the private seller told me that it had one of the 500 Douglas Premium barrels chambered in 220 Swift. He said they were a trial run for the 220 Swift. I wonder if anyone knows if this is true or not. I have never heard it elsewhere.
Dennis

chilidog

Single-Sixer
I think all of the flat bolts have a Douglas premium barrel as well as all ruger number ones before serial number 130-05000.
That's what I was always told. Every flat bolt I have shot has been very accurate.

Last edited:

tdg23113

Bearcat
I have an early Ruger Model 77 that has the earl "flat dogleg" bolt. It is chambered in 220 Swift and it is extremely accurate. I bought it used at a Richmond VA gun show the day we brought my new baby daughter home from the hospital in Oct 1974. Not sure how old it was but the private seller told me that it had one of the 500 Douglas Premium barrels chambered in 220 Swift. He said they were a trial run for the 220 Swift. I wonder if anyone knows if this is true or not. I have never heard it elsewhere.
Dennis
I think all of the flat bolts have a Douglas premium barrel as well as all ruger number ones before serial number 130-05000.
That's what I was always told. Every flat bolt I have shot has been very accurate.
That is interesting, if I understand you correctly ALL calibers with flat bolts would have had Douglas premium barrels. Not just the 220 Swift.
Dennis

tdg23113

Bearcat
Some may have trouble believing it, I know I did, but I used to shoot bench rest rifles back in the late '70s, and 80s. I once took my 36-power Leopold scope off my bench rest rifle to see just how accurate that 220 Swift was. Using sandbag rest at 100 yards with my best load and benchrest bullets it would shoot 5 shot groups of 1/4" or smaller consistently. Great shooting gun, I still have it but have not shot it in 25 years or more.
Dennis

chilidog

Single-Sixer
I have always heard that all of the early rifles had Douglas premium barrels. There are no markings and no way to tell the difference. I think ruger switched is because Douglas couldn't keep up with demand.

tdg23113

Bearcat
I have always heard that all of the early rifles had Douglas premium barrels. There are no markings and no way to tell the difference. I think ruger switched is because Douglas couldn't keep up with demand.
Thanks, good information to keep on hand. I can easily understand why Douglas with its small shop could not keep up with demand. Douglas used to also make a good number of Muzzleloading Barrels and finally dropped the line to devote the time to centerfire barrels.
Dennis

chet15

Hawkeye
Tough to believe there were only 500 M77V flatbolts in .220 Swift.
There are a lot of those out there. And to me seem to be one of the most common flatbolts, next in line after the R in .243 and .308.
A quantity of 500 would put them on the lines of rarity of something like the M77R or RS in .284 or 6.5.
Chet15

GaCop103

Bearcat
I had a 1968 made Ruger 77 in 243 with a Douglas barrel, 22" sporter contour. Got the rifle in a pawn shop in 1983 for $150. That rifle would shoot inch groups at 200 yards all day with my handloads. Wish I still had it today.