Early Ruger Bearcats, SN4670 and SN33961

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NikA

Buckeye
I think the Bearcats may not meet the points system requirements for handguns imported into the US due to small size and fixed sights. https://www.nraila.org/articles/19990728/federal-handgun-importation-criteria

ETA: I see a "drop test" in there too that may impact this.

ETA: I count 38-43 points for a Ruger Bearcat depending on how one classifies the frame material. Throw some "target grips" on those puppies and send 'em south!

You might want to ask if there's an exception based on the US being the country of origin.

Thanks for that link. I have copied the pertinent information . . .

I. Handgun Size and Safety "Prerequisites"

Revolvers: A revolver must (1) have a frame "of 4 1/2" minimum [and] a barrel length of at least 3" and (2) pass a "safety test" consisting of what is commonly referred to as a "drop test."

II. The "Point System"

Revolvers: A revolver must earn at least 45 points from the following characteristic areas:
Barrel length For each 1/4" over 4", 1/2 pt.
Frame construction If investment cast or forged steel, 15 pts.; if investment cast or forged HTS alloy, 20 pts.
Weight One pt. per ounce. Most revolvers weigh between 15-50 ounces.
Caliber If .22 LR and .30 to .38 S&W, three pts.; if .357 Mag. or larger, 5 pts.
Misc. Equipment Adjustable target sights, five pts.; target grips, five pts.; target hammer and trigger, five pts.

I see a few areas where the 'Cats might fail to gain enough points.

What's "HTS alloy"? These early 'Cats have an aluminum frame.

A separate question remains . . . what about importation of all the pieces-parts with the exception of the frame?

Edited to add after checking out my 'Cat:

20 points if "HTS alloy" means aluminum
16 points for weight
3 points for .22LR
39 points total on my gun
5 points by adding target grips
44 points total score . . . missed it by one point!

And this is only good if the "drop test" passes, which I kinda doubt.

I hope "originally mfg in USA" trumps all of this. :roll:

NikA

Buckeye
Ah, I did not know that the early Bearcat frames were aluminum. HTS is "high tensile strength," I believe that refers to alloy steel like 4140 versus just carbon steel like 1045. I don't know whether aluminum alloys, even performance ones, would qualify.

Don't forget that the drop test is applied before the point system, so if the early Bearcats don't have a transfer bar system, they're likely out regardless of points.

NikA said:
Ah, I did not know that the early Bearcat frames were aluminum. HTS is "high tensile strength," I believe that refers to alloy steel like 4140 versus just carbon steel like 1045. I don't know whether aluminum alloys, even performance ones, would qualify.

Don't forget that the drop test is applied before the point system, so if the early Bearcats don't have a transfer bar system, they're likely out regardless of points.

True, the early 'Cats did not have a transfer bar originally, but they could have had one added as the Ruger "safety conversion". Hopefully, that would satisfy the "drop test" . . . hopefully.

If "HTS" refers to steel, the 'Cats are definitely out because they'd lose the 20 points I allowed in my summary.

That still leaves the question of what about just the pieces-parts? Those are worth some money!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Instead of gutting them and parting them out I got to ask.
If they were simply rebarreled to a legal length would they then be legal and transferable in Canada ?

needsmostuff said:
Instead of gutting them and parting them out I got to ask.
If they were simply rebarreled to a legal length would they then be legal and transferable in Canada ?

Good question. We'd need to know the applicable regulations.

FWIW, changing a barrel in an aluminum-framed 'Cat carries a big risk of failure.

Further considerations . . .

https://thegunblog.ca/2020/05/09/rcmp-deletes-grandfathering-option-from-web-page-on-gun-bans/

"The RCMP deleted the option for so-called "grandfathering" this week from its web page on the Canadian government's mass gun confiscations, igniting concern owners will face jail unless we surrender our gear within two years."

It appears that the "grandfather" situation may have been deleted, making it possible that it would be required to turn in "prohibited" stuff even without the "buyback" idea. Not sure how this all shakes out, but at this point it doesn't look good. :roll:

A friend that I know lived in and worked in Canada for a couple of years doing oil business. He had some guns there. He suggested: There are shops with import licenses, one in Montana that I cannot recall is often mentioned. You might contact Collectors Firearms in Houston and see if they can get them here. It won't be cheap...

BPJ, the problem is that apparently a standard Old Model Bearcat very likely does not meet the current requirements for import into the USA. The Security Six probably will.

There is a chance the 'Cats might be allowed to be handled by an importer as "curios/relics" since they are both over fifty years old. An importer should be able to advise, per your suggestion. :)

Latest posts