Early Red Eagle sights question......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radicalrod

Hunter
OK I was oiling up some of my early RE's and noticed that the rear sights weren't all installed the same way......most had the "flat" to the back but 2 had it to the front....anyone else have any similar experiences like this......which is right or are they both correct??????? Thanks, see ya RR.

Radical, the smaller, squarish "original" sights found on the 'red eagles , the flat should be to the rear, and the cut out ( dish) should be in the front....BUT we have seen them come from the factory ,either way.....I can see how easy it is to get them backwards.....have seen more modern sights "made" to be just the opposite with the dish in the back, like on adjustable rear sights..........maybe it is shown on the drawings for the 'patent' application, and WBR did this "on purpose" and never got the instructions out to the installers???? why waste a 'feature' such as this 'dish' ( extra work??) to be out of the line of sight, and in front where one cannot see it???? whoa....more Ruger lore,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
Me, I'd say from the shooters point, the flat, clearer view of the notch, should be to the rear facing YOU.........

and yes, Laura also has two red eagles that the sight is put in "backwards"??

Yes, if you look at Chads "Encyclopedia Of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire Pistols,1949-1991"...pages 20-21,31 and 44 as well as all the pictures of the examples of the early 'red eagles' ( including Donnies' "neato" number #3 gun...) you will see ,the 'slot/cutout' is facing the front in every case....even the early factory dealers catalog, it is slightly tilted and one can almost tell it is the same on there as well..........will not bother to try and knock out any of Lauras, would hate to mark up the guns in any way ( she doesn't care which way they are, "that's how she got 'em, leave 'em be....")