Early MkII Competition Two Screw Scope Base

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know as I am still a bit wondering, as no one so far has showed us a picture of either the two holed gun itself or the two holed base.....all I have seen , and have looked at ,sold or worked on were three holed guns blued or stainlless, Gov,models and slabside competition models ,some even with short barrels ....as I noted before most likely the longer hole pattern, and added a 3rd hole closer to the front one as in the pictures above, and the approximate measurements I got ...............oh well:confused:
Heck there are still folks out there that think the Hawkeyes were drilled and tapped "aftermarket' being out on the barrel,,,hear that ALL the time.......;)

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Yes, this post came from my interest in the two hole Comp Model on GB. I too passed as I figured finding a two hole base was improbable. Finding the three hole versions are tough. Would still like to see a picture for the next time one pops up. Thanks for those who contributed to the thread.

On a side note, I checked this thread just yeaterday and there were two replies, now all the sudden their are many over the course of weeks. Very strange!

if any doubt then you pass as you said and we tried to reply the answer is in the FACT," is the 2 hole pattern on THAT gun proper, by Ruger" and just may "match" the hole pattern for the newer 3 hole base ( front and back holes) at approx. the measurement I noted for the 3 hole pattern, as of YET NO one has shown us the TWO hole base, or the gun, or even given us a dimension for the TWO hole spacing........shot in the dark,,, keep looking, there are MORE out there.......;)

kean57

Single-Sixer
OK the last post confused me a bit.

When was the two hole used?

Gov't model, or competiton? The slab side comepetition came out long after the Gov't and the gov't had the three screw in the pics above. I can't see Ruger going backwards when they already had a working base.
Actually, except for very late in Mark II production, Government models were not drilled and tapped. Only Competition Target models were drilled and tapped for a scope base . At some point in the last year of production, all Mark II Target Models began to be drillrd and tapped.

The early Competition Target Models came with a two-hole base and only had two holes drilled in the receiver. There was one for sale recently on Gun Broker but it did not include the two-hole base.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Actually, except for very late in Mark II production, Government models were not drilled and tapped. Only Competition Target models were drilled and tapped for a scope base . At some point in the last year of production, all Mark II Target Models began to be drillrd and tapped.

I would have to that say is not correct. From all the info I can find in a quick search, the U.S. gov't models were contracted in 1983. Shortly thereafter Ruger started selling the public 6-7/8 bull Gov't Target model. Since mine dates to 1984 I'd say it's an early Gov't target and it has the factory three hole base.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I would have to that say is not correct. From all the info I can find in a quick search, the U.S. gov't models were contracted in 1983. Shortly thereafter Ruger started selling the public 6-7/8 bull Gov't Target model. Since mine dates to 1984 I'd say it's an early Gov't target and it has the factory three hole base.
My 1989 Gov't target has no holes.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Government Target BB MK678G or KMK678G not D&T until 225/226 serial number prefix. Last year of production. 6 7/8" BB. I think only 400 of each.

Government Competition. Slab side KMK678GC 6 7/8" barrel. D&T since inception.

No Government Target D&T in 1983.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Government Target Factory D&T. All had weaver style base.
20230212_131838.jpg

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Unless you are the original owner and it was that way when you bought and even then there's no proof its factory. Anyone could have added it. One of those things that without proof it's a MK678G that had a mount added to it. Sadly that's just the facts. It could be factory but it's all in the documentation. The grips are also incorrect for that year. Should be black plastic.

kean57

Single-Sixer
Not drilled and tapped at the time of production. Many people had their non-drilled and tapped pistols drilled and tapped, so that they could use Ruger scope mounts.

Latest posts