Early MkII Competition Two Screw Scope Base

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Anyone have, or have pictures of, a two screw scope base that came on the very early MkII comp pistols?

Thanks

good question, I do not recall ever seeing or having worked on ANY that had only two holes on the top of the receiver, except those that were drilled and tapped by aftermarket choice,, and even then MOST gunsmith drilled and tapped 4 holes, (they got paid more....) :rolleyes:

two holes reminds me of a backyard gun plumber..:cool:

and then there were so many NO drill or tap mounts available...........;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually Dan,, there was a (2) hole factory MKII. I've seen a couple of them. I tried to buy one long ago,, but the owner didn't want to sell.

thank you, as you know Laura never got into the "newer" 22 semi autos and that was 1982 when we had the shop, and little call for the "new" ones, and any that came in for scope mounting /sighting we can recall....interesting ;)

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
My MKII had a clamp on style, I still have in in a box someplace. I didn't think Ruger started tapping the receiver for a mount till the MKIII came out

chet15

Hawkeye
Only the very first Mark II stainless Competition guns had the two hole scope base. Two taps in the receiver and two holes in the receiver.
And the two-hole receivers weren't done all in one early batch... luck of the draw on guns in the 218-01xxx range and earlier as to whether it has two holes or three.
Chet15

Actually Dan,, there was a (2) hole factory MKII. I've seen a couple of them. I tried to buy one long ago,, but the owner didn't want to sell.
One just sold on GB but I didn't bid on it because it was missing the two hole scope base. That's why I
asked the question of the OP. Pretty sure I would never find a base.

yes. wonder what one even looks like?? as the ones we have known, seen, used, etc., had the Ruger grooves, for their rings.........and the tip off or Weaver style ones have 4 holes, same as the narrow tip off Ruger 10/22 base, and longer would extend out over the barrel.......Did the early Mark II come with rings for this "two hole" base?????
Yes would be very simple to modify a Weaver style base to "fit" the holes predrilled in the top of the receiver............of course there is the question of the rear sight then.;)

AFAIK they look just like the three hole bases but only have two holes and were the same length. I also believe they came with the standard Ruger style rings. I have no idea about the hole spacing.

Ruger did make an extended base in that style but I believe they were accessories only. In fact some were available on shopruger.com not long ago.

xtratoy

Buckeye
How hard would it be to get a 3 hole base and make it line up with a 2 hole receiver? A skilled home/DIY guy or a regular gunsmith should be up to the task. Or do you just want it to be orignal?

that would be an 'engineering' marvel if Ruger ( the company, NOT the man, cause he proobably would have thought enough ahead)to actually space the holes in such a manner....need to have them BOTH in hand or at least pictures or drawings with the proper measurements, as I asked have yet to even "see" a picture of one of the first ones........;):cool::rolleyes:

xtratoy

Buckeye
that would be an 'engineering' marvel if Ruger ( the company, NOT the man, cause he proobably would have thought enough ahead)to actually space the holes in such a manner....need to have them BOTH in hand or at least pictures or drawings with the proper measurements, as I asked have yet to even "see" a picture of one of the first ones........;):cool::rolleyes:
I was thinking another hole would have to be drilled and countersunk. I had no delusion that a 3 hole ruger base would just line up and the solution be that simple.

A picture might not be forthcoming. Chet might know a number but I suspect that there are not that many. Most folks that have one probably don't realize that there's anything unusual about it.

not really a question of "unusual" but more along the lines of standard small bore scope base patterns mainly on common 22 rifles and such...handguns over the year used various 2-3 or even 4 holes, seen many pistols with only 2 holes...I know we had drilled/tapped many over the years , usually with what the customer brought in for the job, like Weaver, the wide ones for 1 inch ring......Rugers rings with the grooves ( notches) were the odd balls......use a narrow base plate.
OK, looked at an older Weaver tactical base with the 3 hole Ruger pattern and come up with a "nominal" dimension of front to back 2 -31/64s (2.484) and come back from the front 41/64s (.640) for the 3rd, middle hole. this is close, not precision gauged! So someone can now measure their hole pattern on their gun.....none here to compare .......;)

( Hey Chad know of any blueprints??? besides its always harder to try and find "top, dead center...":cool:

kean57

Single-Sixer
Anyone have, or have pictures of, a two screw scope base that came on the very early MkII comp pistols?

Thanks
For what is worth, here are a couple of pictures of the three-hole base that was standard during most of the Mark II Competition Target Model run. Perhaps you can line up the holes based on this three-hole base to see if the spacing would be the same? My suspicion would be that it would be; that is you would be able to use a three-hole base with your two-hole tapped receiver. I doubt that Ruger changed the spacing in a way that would make these three- hole bases unusable.

Attachments

• 20221115_074004.jpg
    20221115_074004.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20221115_074122.jpg
    20221115_074122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20221115_074343.jpg
    20221115_074343.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 59

kean57

Single-Sixer

Thanks
Here is a photo of the Mark II Government Competition Target prototype from Chad's book "Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire pistols 1949- 1992". Comparing the base shown in that photo with the three-hole base, they appear to be identical. My guess is that two of those three holes would line up perfectly in a three-hole base. You can purchase a three-hole Ruger-marked Weaver-style base for about $20 on eBay or GunBroker. Original Ruger bases designed to use Ruger scope rings are as rare as hens' teeth; but the Weaver / Picatinny style bases are easy to find.

Attachments

• 20221115_080007.jpg
    20221115_080007.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 54

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK the last post confused me a bit.

When was the two hole used?

Gov't model, or competiton? The slab side comepetition came out long after the Gov't and the gov't had the three screw in the pics above. I can't see Ruger going backwards when they already had a working base.