Early MK II Gov Target Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scrapiron10x

Bearcat
New to the Post, Howdy ya'll!

I have inherited a MK II Target, Gov Target Model, 216 - xxxxx, manu 1990 - 91. I have the desire to use it in the hunter pistol silhouette matches, however 50 yd grouping is not good as I had hoped for in a Target grade Ruger Pistol.
I have benchrested several different types of ammo: Win Superx X22LR, PMC Sidewinder, Remington High-Vel, Wolf Match Target and Aguilla High Vel Copper Coated. All of them shoot a 10 shot group of 3", well populated inside the circle. It is not a smaller cluster of shots with 3 to 4 fliers, just a well filled out 3" group.
Is this about as good as it gets for this earlier Gov Target model? I called the Ruger Arizona Technical folks and expressed my concern. They suggested using CCI Mini-Mag or the CCI Green Tag to improve the group size. Then call them back if that did not improve my groups. She also informed my they target the Gov Model and it is required to a shoot 1 1/4" group or less at 50 feet.
Now, 3" off a bench at 50yds ain't all that bad. But standing offhand (one or two handed) shoot'n at chicken at 40 meters with a 3" max hit zone (less head, tail & feet) with a gun that at best shoots 3" benched can be rather challenging...yep, down right challenging!
So if any kind folk has some experience with my delima and would chime in, I would be greatful.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The gun is within factory specs,, (remember that a group of 1-1/4" at 50 ft will be definately bigger than 3" at 50 yds.
Now, those guns are accurate but are not built to be custom competition guns. There are things you can do to enhance the accuracy,, (aftermarket parts from Volquartsen etc,) as well as trying even more types of ammo.
A PACO 22 ammo accurizer may be the thing you need as well.
One thing I noticed was your selection of ammo so far. There doesn't seem to be a serious target type of ammo used yet. Try some of the Federal Gold Medal match, or Ultra Gold medal match. The Win & Rem stuff you mentioned is an "ok" round for general hunting etc,, but not serious competition. PMC sidewinder falls into the same group. The Wolf match stuff hasn't won many seriour matches that I'm aware of. The Aguilla isn't any type of target stuff either.
Get some good REM, WIN, FED & CCI MATCH specific ammo to try. Buy 1 box of each first to see how each performs. Then work on the gun by doing little things to make it more accurate.
The gun appears to be fine by the info you mentioned,, but as a competitor I know that it takes quality ammo to win.

Scrapiron10x

Bearcat
I am is asking too much out of a semi-auto 22? Contender, are you a T/C shooter? What dose a T/C match 22 barrel put down range at 50 yds? Its comparing apples to oranges, but how do they shoot?

What are you Gov Target model shooters getting out of yours at 50 yds? What ammo dose yours like? The Aguila works very well in my rifles and gave the better 3" group results. I am not trying to shoot 1" grps, I just feel 3" is a bit oversize for a Target grade pistol.

contender

Ruger Guru
First, yes,, I do shoot & own a bunch of T/C Contenders,, including a match grade bbl in a T/C. IT gets about 1-1/2" groups off my bench with cheap ammo,, but it drops to below an inch with good ammo,, and on days I'm tuned in,, I've seen 1/2" groups at 50 yds with the T/C.
Are you expecting too much??? Well, you mentioned you don't expect 1" groups,, but that 3" is too much. The Aguilla may shoot just fine in the rifles,, but the pistol is a different animal. I have several Ruger 22 auto's and while most of them are about the same off the bench,, (with a couple of notable differences,) most of mine will do very well with Federal Gold Match ammo. Win T22 ammo seems to be pretty good,, and the CCI Green Tag does ok overall. But I have to give a noticable edge to the Federal. I don't have a G'vment Target myself,, but a very good friend does,, and I can't recall his averages. But,, I do have a Competition Target model slabside that's comparable. I can get good 1-1/2"-2" groups easily with Federal ammo. And,, most of my Comp Target is still stock parts. Actually internally it's all stock in the firing mechanism.
Give some better grade ammo a try. Even Eley match stuff is worth the $$ to show you it's capable of better shooting.

Scrapiron10x

Bearcat
Thanks Contender! T/C does make some impressive arms. I will press forward with the ammo search.

Hello...are there any Mark II Target Gov model shooters who shoot the Bullseye Match or who group check their Stock barrel Ruger at 50 yards? Would you be willing to share your group experience (no pun intended)?

Ruger makes fabulous arms. When I was doing more handguning, my Super Single-Six and I spent hours together plinking. On the 25 yard range, offhand with patience, plenty of ammo and determination we would cut down the 4' tall sunflower stocks that grew up at 15 to 25 yds. I also used it on our home grown Silohouette match at 12.5, 25, 37 and 50 yard targets. If I could cut the group size on that ole' Gov Model by 30% , I think I could use it in the Hunter Pistol Match.