Early Blackhawk 'Ross' Variant Extractor Rod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BorderGuard

Bearcat
I was able to acquire the Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 'Ross' Variant with stag grips that I have recently posted about. The condition of the revolver is definitely used, and the one problem with it is it does have the broken, and now missing, extractor rod. I have placed a 'Want to Buy' ad in the classifieds, but figured I would also post in the revolver section as many of you in here will appreciate the importance of finding the correct extractor, as it is one of the features specific to the early flattops, which includes the 'Ross' variant.

So I'm wondering if anyone here would have one or possibly have any leads on someone who might. I would also appreciate it if those of you who are interested in the old flattops could maybe keep your eyes open in your travels to gun shows and such, and if by any stroke of luck you should see one, could get in touch with me with contact information.

I would also be open to purchasing an early flattop that has maybe seen better days, and swapping the rod with a newer rod which seem to be easy to find.

Here's a couple of pics, which some of you have probably already saw.

Attachments

• Blackhawk Ross 1.jpg
    Blackhawk Ross 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Blackhawk Ross 2.jpg
    Blackhawk Ross 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Blackhawk Ross 3.jpg
    Blackhawk Ross 3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 129

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Here's a couple of pictures of the early ejector rod. The first picture is one I found online. It shows the square headed serrated buttons of the 1st type extractor rod. The second picture is of my other Flattop in the 66XX serial range, which has the 2nd type of ejector rod with the round head button with the dimple. The picture I took is of the bottom part of the ejector showing the kind of half-moon rod. So the 1st style ejector I need has the square serrated head and the half-round bottom. I don't know when they changed them but obviously sometime after my Ross variant, 5056, and before serial # 66XX.

Attachments

• 20230115_120920.jpg
    20230115_120920.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230115_121014.jpg
    20230115_121014.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 110

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yes, the flat serrated thumbpiece is the key for a type 1 .357 flattop, including the higher numbered Ross variation built in the same timeframe as the regular type 1 guns. It is the same part used on about 50K flatgate Single Sixes, so that may be your best source for finding one.

The switch was made to the round dimpled button style after reports came in that the serrated thumbpiece was no good for extracting larger higher pressure .44 Mag cases from the earliest .44 flattops. The existing stock of serrated buttons were used up on the Single Sixes and both the .357 and .44 flattops switched to the round type, then the Single Sixes switched once the supply was exhausted.

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Yes, the button is the same as the flatgate Single Sixes but I was told that the single six rod is round on the bottom part, not the half-moon like the .357 and .44 magnums. Do you know if that is correct?

contender

Ruger Guru
"Anyone with a lathe and some drill rod can make one in under an hour."

As you can see by the above pictures,, it's not an easy thing to make. PLUS,,, he wants to restore the gun to it's original configuration. A Ross is a desirable variation to many of us who collect.

BorderGuard

Bearcat
That's correct, the .22 rod with flat button is round and of smaller diameter. I'd be surprised if the half moon rod would fit in a .22 case. I'll go check.
Which for my purposes, if the .22 rod would work in the 357 case, which it should, I could use it, but I would still like the original style big bore ejector rod for the Ross revolver.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Nothing like that Been There, Done That patina. Get your part and ride the high country.