Early Blackhawk Grips FRANZITE XR3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
These have to be some early "Blackhawk" Grips, No Medallions, the whole Bird. and in perty faux ivory. :lol:
I'm not a collector so let's talk about these, I just aquired them in a gun deal.
Marked; Sports Inc. FRANZITE 223 F. They fit the XR3. note: Blind one side.
No idea what there worth. They look like BBQ Gun Grips to me.

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010007-5.jpg

street

Hunter
Come on now!!! Don't tease us with that purple Frame, lets see some pictures of the gun, please.

Rclark

Hunter
Have no idea of worth ... but they don't even fit the frame they are on .... kinda 'worthless' :) .

G2

Hunter
Street, My what a eye :shock: on purpose I tried to cut that out, The Grips did not come w/ that gun it was just used 4 the picture, actually they came w/ a .357 flattop recently acquired, no plum. But since you asked, :D
P1010017-1.jpg

P1010020-1.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

Rclark; Ohhh your right as rugerguy states they have shrunk and the fit is sloppy, But it's the first time I have ever seen a set like these, flatgate's picture, Ive see some of those quite often.
J Miller, You are married to a good lady, apparent by her comment, I bet she always finds the good, cause these are like the little red headed kid down the street, good thing he has a mother that loves him :D :D

claydoctor

Bearcat
The grips in question, appear to be faux pearl not faux ivory. I love those faux stag Franzite grips. They remind me of all the old westerns. The original Great Western Colt clones came with similar grips and were seen in many westerns and TV shows such as Gunsmoke and Cheyenne. I have a pair on a Beretta Stampede.

G2

Hunter
claydoctor":3hhajao7 said:
The grips in question, appear to be faux pearl not faux ivory.

Well I wondered pearl or ivory,
I went with ivory because I have never seen carved pearl, What I understand about pearl is it is kinda hard and brittle. Of course we see alot of these figures carved in Ivory ie. Elmer Keith's grips.
Flatgates picture shows pearl they are much more pearlesk....is that a word? :roll:

claydoctor

Bearcat
May not be real pearl. Just as there is imitation ivory, I believe they have imitation pearl. Colt had something called "pearlite".

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
My best bet is that Great Westerns grips were contracted from Pointer, but they are nearly identical to Franzite's faux stag pattern:

rebluedGW.jpg

Ive really come to like those cheesy, campy, plastic grips from the 50's and 60's. The relieved steerheads, etc, were pretty good. Speaks to days gone by - theres not a lot of arty grips out there like that now. I buy them when I see them - theyre not expensive usually, and have a high cool factor.

claydoctor

Bearcat
Sack, that's a great photo. Are those Franzite? The ones on my .357 Beretta are from Bob Lescovic of Precision Pro Grips. Wish I could figure out Photobucket. I'd try to post some photos. I can e-mail them but not postthem. I too love those 50's grips. Reminds me of my old Nickols Stallion capguns.

Latest posts