Early “Flat Gate” Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BraveCause

Bearcat
I'm new to this forum, and have a question for the experts. I recently came into possession of a Ruger flat gate single six, with a 3 digit serial number. The gun is in great mechanical condition, and appears original complete with black plastic grips. Although much of the bluing is gone, it really is in nice shape. Just wondering if anyone has a "ballpark " estimate as to what it may be worth,especially with such a small serial number or where I could go to determine a value for it? Looking to probably sell it to a collector. Thanks!!

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Pics would help a lot.

Imgur.com or similar for posting pics.

For a lot of collectors condition is everything so the low serial number vs. poor condition may be a wash.

BraveCause

Bearcat
It's 57 for first two in serial number. I can send pics to anyone if it helps. Thanks again

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
With a 3 digit number like that,,, it should be a "Type 1" Flatgate. Desirable. HOWEVER,,, condition is a huge factor. You mentioned; "Although much of the bluing is gone, it really is in nice shape." That bluing loss means a LOT. Pictures would be a necessity.
A mint condition Type 1 could bring about $1000. But with bluing loss,,, it's not a mint gun, so the value drops off a lot. Small serial number were on all the guns back then.

A collector would want it to give their collection a Type 1 (if they didn't have one,) ,,, OR if it was a consecutive number to one they already have. Bluing loss takes away form it as a serious collectable. Be sure to understand that when looking at the value. A solid Type 1 with a lot of bluing loss,,, MAY still bring $500,,, depending on the overall condition of the rest of the gun.

BraveCause

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for the help. Good info. Like I mentioned earlier, don't know a lot about these revolvers. Can anyone direct me to a good marketplace where I can offer it collectors who may be interested? Is this an appropriate site to list it? Sorry for all the questions and thanks again

mcb66

Bearcat
Find a local auction house who list on Proxibid. This has always realized the highest price for collectible firearms for me.

Yes, list it right here on the Website in "Classifieds". You definitely need pictures and I would like to see some of your gun. I have #581 so please get in touch with me if it is #580 or #582.

FT44 (Send pictures to iluv44s at hotmail.com )

contender

Ruger Guru
I concur with listing it here. And,, if it matches FT44's gun,,, I can FULLY vouch for Bill,,, (As can MANY others here.)

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I bought a 98% 1957 for about $500-550 and later sold it for what I paid for it. Box and paperwork would have added some. A shooter with honest wear? I dunno, maybe $400-425?

*I recall I did have the original store recipe for mine. The original owner paid $67 for it in 1957. :)

Latest posts