DUTCH OVEN STOVE TOP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Here is my "dutch oven stove top", I built this one today & its a little smaller than my original made back in the late 70's. This one will go to Arizona this winter so we can have a "few" cookouts in the 70 degree weather of Wickenburg!
This stove top is 30" long, 16" wide & 1/4" thick, it has a 2" lip all the way around, this helps keep the wind off the charcoal, making it easier to control the heat.
These stove tops weren't my idea, they've been around a long time, at least in my neck of the woods.
On the bottom you can see the 1 1/4" couplers, these are welded on at an angle so the legs, once you screw them into the couplers will "toe" out somewhat, making the stove more stable. The legs can be anywhere from 24" to 28" & be about right.
My plan to make a cherry/huckleberry cobbler will have to wait until friday but I'll show how its easier to cook with the charcoal, & control the heat.
Normally cherry/huckleberry cobbler is illegal in most small western towns because of the damage to fences & flower gardens, many stampedes have began from the aroma of a good cobbler! :wink:

A #12 & #14 oven in the background.

100_2185.jpg

This shows the bottom of the stove with the couplers welded on.

100_2184.jpg

This photo shows the 2 ovens in place, if you slide them close together you still have enough room for your charcoal container, forgot to photo it, :cry: they are about the size of a coffee can, they have the bottom cut off & then raised 3-4 inches & suspended by wire, just enough you can light some rolled up newspaper & place under the container to get the coals started, this way you always have fresh coals waiting to add to the ovens, either on top, or on bottom. There will be a couple of cut outs on the very bottom of the container so you can shove the newspaper underneath, the bottom also has several half inch holes in it so the fire can light the coals.

100_2183.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that's a trick I've not seen before. Very cool. We've always used regular fires & coals, or charcoal fires etc w/o a stove top like you've shown. I may have to do some scrounging of steel & fire up a welder,,,!!!!!
Thanks a bunch!
(PS; If FOX news reports a stampede in Soda Springs,, I'll know who caused it! :D

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
:lol: Darn, I thought that was my trough for that great Dutch oven food :lol: Load 'er up !!!

Great idea ! Gonna hafta' make one !