DUTCH OVEN SOUR DOUGH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I decided to make up a nice big loaf(#12 oven) of sour dough bread today just to keep in practice! :wink: This batch will completey fill a #12 oven & feed 10-12 people.........or me & Callshot!
These are quite easy to do once you try it a couple of times, the crusts are always wonderful, also if you want extra crust you can make a small donut hole in the center before baking, this adds quite a bit more crust.
Splash on some butter, some of my wife's homemade rasberry jam & as always......jump back so you don't get caught in the stampede!

100_2194.jpg

Because of the baking quality of a good dutch oven the bread always turns out wonderful.

100_2195.jpg

Dick

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Darn that looks good, you guys with your Dutch Ovens are going to
be the death of my already too large waistline yet!! :mrgreen:

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
Wow that looks great. I'm learning Dutch oven cooking and just tried bread for the first time. Your results are most impressive. How many coals and for how long? Also, did you grow your starter from scratch, or did you buy it somewhere?

contender

Ruger Guru
My mom used to make a killer sourdough bread for many years in her convience store. She had a kitchen in the back,, and when she was baking,, you shoulda seen how often folks would come in, sniffing, mouth watering, drooling & asking for whatever it was. She got to where she was making about 100 loaves a week. She finally gave it up as it was becoming too much work. I haven't had much sourdough since and what I had didn't seem to be quite as good.
However,,,,, that loaf looks mighty good from here.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Hey Dick, You need to make another one of those, and you'd have a nice hamburger bun :D .

sixshot

Buckeye
Ferninand, this one was baked in the oven indoors, it was windy yesterday & that makes it hard to control the heat. If I were doing it outside with a #12 oven I'd use about 9-10 coals underneath & about 14-16 on the lid, you are looking for about 350 degrees. Indoors I bake a few minutes with the lid on then remove it & bake another 30 minutes or so until done.
I always make a fresh start each time I bake. There seems to be a lot of voodoo out there over starts, you will get great results everytime just making a fresh one. Mine is: 2 cups flour, 2 cups warm water, a tbl spoon of yeast, tsp of sugar & a tsp of vinegar, I cover it over night & use it the next day. You can get by just fine without the vinegar.

Jeff, if I'm eating a hamburger I'd want a bigger bun than that........& 2 patties! :lol:

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
Yes sir, it was good/very good/excellent. I won't need to try bread in a dutch oven, because sixshot will have enough for me. Steve

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm giving that sourdough suggestion a try - just started a batch per the instructions. Let's see how it does.

I know from past experiences that the starter is very dependant on the yeast found in the air. Yes, that stuff is all around us, and it varies considerably from one environment to the next. Ever known of a bakery that moved and the flavor of the products changed? That could be the reason why.

If the product is photo worthy, I'll post back with the results.