DUTCH OVEN LEG OF LAMB

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
While lamb isn't my first choice of meat I do occasionally buy a leg of lamb for the dutch oven just for a little change. Lamb thats been marinated overnight & not over cooked is very good & a 6-8 lb roast doesn't last long when the family is around.
There are many different marinates out there, you just have to work out whats best for your taste buds. I usally put some orange juice, white cooking wine, Johnny's seasoning, salt, pepper, rosemary & thyme in a large glass dish, rub the meat down good then place everything in a double plastic bag & put in the refrigerator overnight. Drain everything off the next day, brown the meat real good on all sides & place in my big, square dutch oven, I've had this oven over 20 years, my parents bought it for me & its seen a lot of roasts, lamb & chicken. I place the oven on charcoal with about 14-16 under & the same on the top & cook until pink, you don't want to over cook lamb, it just isn't good. This is the only time I use a cooking thermometer & I"m looking for about 135 degrees down in the middle of the roast. Remove & serve hot!
I also whipped up a bunch of dutch oven spuds, the tater farmers are digging like crazy right now & Idaho's famous russets are always welcome at my place. :wink: As always these are sprinkled with cheese, then the crisp bacon is dribbled over the melted cheese, as always.......jump back, here comes the stampede.

100_2200.jpg

This is my large, square dutch oven, don't know if they are still available but mine is cherished.

100_2201.jpg

Large oven full of taters.

100_2202.jpg

Forgot to photo my wife's biscuits, maybe the best bisquits on the plantet.

Dick

Otony

Blackhawk
I need a real good picture of you to put up in my office along with Teddy Roosevelt, Albert Einstein, and Giuseppe Garibaldi's pictures 'cause you are my hero!

Great pictures, great guns, great stories. You should start writing books, you are another Skeeter!

callshot

Blackhawk
Otony, You can just get a post card from Mt. Rushmore, and it will have sixshot's likeness on the mountain. It will be the one holding a large fork.

sixshot

Buckeye
Otony, in my eyes there are 3 handgunners that pretty much walked on water, Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith & Ross Seyfried, I'm a very looooong way from doing that, the water would have to be pretty hard (frozen) :cry: All of them were the real deal, no keyboard cowboys in the above threesome.

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Hey Dick, bone that baby out, make two loaves of#12 bread, add a little sauce, and we'd have a right nice sandwich :D .

I love that rectangular 'Dutch' !. Seems the dimensions would be perfect for your famous "Badger Au Gratin casserole". Yum Yum :lol:

Seriously, being a glutton for mutton, the leg looks wonderfull!!!!!

P.S. what brand is that 'Dutch' ?

Otony

Blackhawk
sixshot":zhhtj3ac said:
Otony, in my eyes there are 3 handgunners that pretty much walked on water, Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith & Ross Seyfried, I'm a very looooong way from doing that, the water would have to be pretty hard (frozen) :cry: All of them were the real deal, no keyboard cowboys in the above threesome.

Dick

I have to agree with you Dick, those fellers were/are the real item for sure, but I truly enjoy your huntin', shootin', and cookin' yarns. If you find yourself over this way stop by for an Aveni family meal. Don't know if we can come close to one of your feasts but we will sure give it a try!

sixshot

Buckeye
Otony, thanks for the invite, its hard for me to pass up a good meal, I usually get up that way in the spring when I'm bear hunting.

Jeff, the rectangle/square oven was made by Lodge, not sure they still make them, I've never seen another one.

Dick

Spencer

Single-Sixer
I want everyone to know, not only is Sixshot a good cook, he is also a great teacher. Over the phone, he taught me how to do the dutch oven cooking and I got his delicious cheesy potato recipe from him. Now I am "Chef" at the barn my daughter takes lessons at. We have had four "Cowboy" trail rides. The riders go out for a 2-3 hour ride and come back to the barn for a 'cowboy dinner'. The owner who also raises grass fed beefers uses his steaks, and I cook the potato's, BBQ beans, and peach cobbler. The potato's are a hit(Thanks Dick), and everyone has a great time. I owe it all to sixshot for getting me into the dutch oven experience.

Thanks Sixshot!
Home_695.jpg

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Yeah, Dick's pretty slick ! I think He's a large stock holder for Lodge and CampChef :lol: .

sixshot

Buckeye
Spencer, thanks for the compliments, its always fun to help someone get started & right away they see how easy it is to cook with dutch ovens. No one was born doing it, why not share it with friends.
Those big ovens look like deep #14's, are they? The old tractor tire rims are great platforms for a campfire, I'll bet the "cowboys" loved your fixings. Now you need to try burying one in the ground, my big rectangular oven will hold 2 large roasts, sometimes I do a pork & a beef roast together, everyone's happy, that with dutch oven taters & a bulging loaf of dutch oven bread, yippee! Oops, forgot, gotta have cobbler! :D

Jeff, I wish I was!! Had a neighbor that owned right at 40 dutch ovens, most were #14's & #16's, he would feed 300-400 people at a time at company cookouts, he was famous for his chicken, taters, cobblers, bisguits, pineapple upside down cake, etc. There wasn't anything he couldn't cook in a dutch oven.........well, maybe not a badger! :wink:

Dick

Spencer

Single-Sixer
They are 12" diameter deep ovens. I have done biscuits as well and they came out great, just takes too long to get enough to serve 25-30 people. The cobbler is a hit, and I can use one of the deep ones to add 5 jumbo cans of beans as the base for all of the seasonings that go in it. We have not run out of beans, but there is never very much left when I am done.
I am looking for a 14 or 16" deep oven for cooking the potatos. This way I can get a whole 10 pound bag in the oven so I can be sure not to run out. I have even made pizza in the oven by cooking it on the lid and putting the base upside down over it. came out really good.

You are right, I need to try the hole method. I still have your instructions, I am going to try it this winter and start using it during the cowboy meals at the barn. I just need to find the time to do it and have all the ingredients on hand when I am ready to do it.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted on my progress.

Rob

sixshot

Buckeye
Spencer, the deep #14's or #16's are usually available at the farm/ranch supply places, or you could order one direct. Nothing better for feeding a large group, you can make enough chile to feed an army :D
Only draw back to the big ovens is the weight......too heavy for a woman...... or Callshot! :cry:

Dick

Hey Dick,
I just got a big box from Soda Springs with Idaho spuds in it :D :D
I just have one question. Why don't these look like the pictures of your spuds in the Dutch???? These are still on the HOOF :roll:

Really many thanks, I will have to bake a couple tonight and put a steak on the barbie.
Jim

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Interestingly enough, Now that I have cooked for these rides. People are talking about me cooking for some of their trail rides or BBQ's. One guy even mentioned bringing me on their hunting trip at no cost to me and have me be their camp Chef for the week! In Colorado!

Thanks for the leads on the larger ovens. I bought two #12 on ebay for $35 each with free shipping. That is one heck of a deal. I am looking to find a larger one with the same kind of pricing as they are expensive at Gander Mountain.

sixshot

Buckeye
Hello Jim, glad you got them, enjoy! If I'm baking them I wash them good, place them in a regular old sandwich bag, seal it & bake them about 2 1/2 minutes on each side & bingo, they're done to perfection.

Spencer, sounds like you might be working yourself into something, a free trip to Colorado would be a blast.
I have a friend who started out doing just what you are doing, then he opened up a full fledged dining hall where everything is done in large dutch ovens, he's made a lot of money, people just can't get enough of good home style cooking, especially in the dutch ovens. He caters several large businesses 3-4 times a month.
I'm sure you can track down a large #14-#16 oven somewhere close by, you'll just have to check around, they're out there.
One of my dutch oven mulligans will serve a lot of people, when brewed up in a #14 oven!

Sixshot Mulligan Stew:

Depending on how many you want to feed, lets say 10 people. Start with a #12 oven.
You can use stew meat or buy a couple of good round steaks, either way, trim off most of the fat, dice them up fairly small & brown them good, I season them with salt, pepper & garlic salt. When they are browned set them aside, cut up your spuds, carrots & onions, add your salt, pepper, garlic powder & a bay leaf & stir in 2 packets of mushroom gravy mix, also add a few cups of water, make up a loaf of my dutch oven bread or make bisquits & finish up with a nice cobbler. I like a cherry/huckleberry cobbler myself.
If you are dong this as a business make sure you have a large gallon jar for tips!

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Spencer, next time you need to show us whats on the inside of them 'Dutches'. Your set-up looks real good :wink: . Makes one want to mosey on down for a look see, squat down on his haunches, and chow down. :D

Dick,

You should be ashamed. Those are micro something taters.

High heat is the secret to baked taters. Real baked taters need to bake at 475 for ONE hour. They are just outstanding like this.

Now here is what ya do for baked taters and baked tater soup.

Put 10 spuds in the oven, prick with a fork first. Bake for one hour at 375.

When done cut in half and scoop the insides out and keep the skins for a snack with butter sour cream and stuff.

USE 6 OR SO OF THE BAKED SPUDS FOR THIS RECIPE. MOST OF THE TIME I DO A BIGGER BATCH OF SOUP

Now melt 1 TB. butter in a 4 1/2 Qt. dutch or soup pot. Chop one large sweet onion and cook in the butter until done.

Add 2 cans 14 1/2" oz chick broth bring to a boil reduce heat.

Add the bite size taters to the pot.

Add 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 tea.salt and 1/8 tea. of pepper.

Cook all this 3-5 min. and don't let it boil. Just make sure it is heated through

Serve with bacon bits and cheese.

Stand wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when you say it is ready.

Every body loves this soup. It has that baked tater flavor.

I could have made it faster than what it took to type it.

Also a baked tater will last a long time in the fridge.

Eat up,

Jim