DUTCH OVEN GROUSE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I cooked up some of the grouse today in the dutch oven, boned out some breast meat, the other will go into a "Sixshot" mulligan. I had to use one of my bigger ovens, all the others have legs on the bottom for outdoor cooking, this one is flat on the bottom like Callshot.
I melt some butter in a hot dutch oven, then mix some garlic powder, salt, pepper, Accent & Johnny's seasoning with some flour, then brown it, then slow cook, chicken doesn't like to be hurried.

100_3458-1.jpg

Fixed a big pile of fried taters, this are right out of the ground as all the local farmers are digging now. Add a little oil, a wedge of butter, get it hot then add taters, salt pepper, Johnny's, a little garlic powder & some onion, yippee! Fried taters in a cast iron skillet is hard to beat.

100_3459-1.jpg

Last is a few bottles of elk & moose that I canned this last week. I trim the meat, brown it with no seasoning then put it in hot pint bottles with a couple of wedges of onion, some beef bullion & 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I pressure it for 75 minutes at 13 pounds. When you're hunting & the grandkids get whinning they're hungry, just whip out of a bottle of elk or moose & jump back. Even the tough cuts are fall apart tender!

100_3460-1.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
We just had elk steaks,,, roasted taters,,,,green beans with onions tonight. Something about the elk steaks pounded out thin,, dipped in egg,,, then dusted with a mix of flour, cornmeal & spices,, cooked up in a hot cast iron skillet with a little olive oil just hits the spot.
Those grouse looks delicious!

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Love the look of those grouse, do you cook em like that with the skin on or skin off? I have been looking for a few new grouse recipes myself.