DUTCH OVEN FEAST

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Just finished doing a very large dutch oven cookout for 250-300 people at a church outing. Six of us used 26 dutch ovens to feed this large group & when we were done we had half a plate of taters left & one plate of chicken.
We cooked over 100 lbs of chicken & had 8 large dutch ovens filled to the top with spuds. The ladies provided the salads, drinks, rolls & desserts. Its actually quite easy to feed large groups of people when using dutch ovens once you get the hang of it.
I like to cook with charcoal & that way you can double stack or even triple stack the ovens. You can see my steel platform used to set the ovens on, its insulated underneath with a piece of particle board to keep the heat from getting to my tailgate.
This is part of the 26 dutch ovens we used, the others cooked with propane, I prefer to use charcoal.

100_2390.jpg

This is how you double stack your ovens, these are full of dutch oven taters, one is a #16 oven, the other 3 are #14 ovens, you have charcoal on top & bottom. With a little experimenting its easy to cook dutch oven chicken in one oven, have another one on top filled with spuds, another with dutch oven bread & a fourth oven with your peach cobbler, all on the same platform. Anything that needs stirred occasionally needs to be on top.

100_2394-1.jpg

I like to use a huge cast iron skillet, 16" across to brown the chicken, get the cooking oil very hot, brown the chicken on each side, this only takes 2-3 minutes per side, drain off the excess oil & place in the dutch oven & slow cook over the charcoal, you don't want to hurry chicken!
This chicken was BBQ'ed using KC Masterpiece sauce, use what you prefer.

100_2395.jpg

For dutch oven taters "deluxe" I like to dice 3 lbs of bacon for a #14 oven, cook it crisp & remove the bacon pieces, leave the bacon grease, add 1/4 lb margarine & 1/4 cup cooking oil, season to taste, I like to use salt, pepper & Johnny's seasoning. Dice 2 large onions & add everything to the oven. You want the taters sliced coarse. When the taters are done add 2 lbs of your favorite cheese & sprinkle the crisp bacon over top of the cheese. This will feed 20-25 people unless they are motorcycle cops!

100_2396.jpg

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dicks's known for a long time the best things in life come from cast......
As in bullets and cast iron cookin' :lol:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Besides my appetite, I think I need to bring my ticket book with me, on my next trip out West :lol:

Propane, charcoal, and there is a third way to cook with them Dutch ovens. This past Fall, a few of us went to Idaho for an elk hunt and visit with Dick. On the itinerary was a trip to Boise, Id., to go to the Elmer Keith Museum at Cabelas. The trip is 5 hours from Dicks house. After about 2 hours, we all started smelling the great aroma of Dutch Oven spuds, cobbler, and Beef tenderloin with onions and gravy, and fresh baked bread. Dick had wired 4 Dutch Oven to the engine block of his pick up truck. When we arrived at Cabelas, we had a hearty meal in the parking lot of Cabelas, and then went to the Elmer museum. A great trip all around.

callshot

Blackhawk
I will honestly testify that it all was GOOD EATING. I am not a motorcycle cop, and I only ate one plate full. Yes Jeff, everything is better with cast. That is because Dick and I were cast from the same mould. :lol: He has done a lot more Dutch oven cooking than I have. Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
Funny, I missed the chicken at the church outing,, but I put on 10 lbs in the parking lot at Cabelas. Then I had to run off that 10 lbs chasing elk for Zeus.
And yes,, that certain motorcycle cop can put away a few groceries.

dougader

Hunter
I miss the dutch oven cookouts we used to have with church friends when I lived in Lake Oswego. Always great food, the marionberry cobbler was divine.

Sheese, Dick! Its not even 11 am here and I'm starving now!