DUTCH OVEN COBBLER

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Here's a cherry/huckleberry cobbler I made today using charcoal on the "stove top" you can see how even the crust is, working with hot coals is very simple & its about 15 minutes faster to get the same results using the kitchen oven.
I no more than got the lid off & callshot (cantshoot) came over the fence.......well actually he drove over, I gave him a big helping with ice cream & he fixed HIS second helping, it was quite a bit bigger than the first! :lol:

Here's the dutch oven, working its magic! Thats the charcoal container on the far right, its very hot!

100_2186.jpg

You can see how uniform the charcoal baked the cobbler, my wife likes them a little crunchy on the crust.......it didn't last long.

100_2187.jpg

Here's a little dish of heaven! Remember with charcoal to rotate the oven one way, the lid the other every 10 minutes or so, bakes very even.
A little secret, when you have 10-12 briquettes under & 16-18 on top, slowly wave your hand over the coals, if it feels a little uncomfortable its probably 400 degrees, maybe hotter, if you can hole your hand over the heat you are somewhat cooler, after you've done this quite a bit you get a very good feel for the actual temp. without using a thermometer.

100_2188.jpg

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
O.K. I admit that I helped him eat (Quality Control only) some of this cobbler. It was VERY good. The second helping was a bit better. I did give Dick some suggestions, to which he only scoffed at, as he kept on eating his. I mentioned that he could possibly even make a badger taste good in a cobbler. What a great evening; siting and talking to a good friend and his wife and helping him with the task at hand: (cobbler) He just smiled and said that the next one was my turn. Thanks Dick! Steve (Can'tshoot) (Cancook) Call

COR

Blackhawk
I guess you badger hunters decided to give them a night off. :)

That cobbler looks great and if you add a couple of bear hunting stories from Sixshot I'd say that's a pretty fine evening.

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that looks absolutely delicious!!!!!!!! I didn't see any news reports of a stampede or anything,, and it's good to know the fence is still intact.
I do have a minor question, What do you use (if any) heat under the oven? I don't see any charcoal peeking out around the edges,,, and I was wondering if you applied any heat under it?

sixshot

Buckeye
Tyrone, there are 10-12 briquets under the oven, I think I counted 18 on the lid, the ovens that have a lip around the lid are much better than the round toppers. :wink:
I took some over to the nursing home for my mom, she thought this cobbler was the best she had ever eaten, made me happy :lol:

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks,, I was wondering!
Some of my fondest memories of my mother are the times she complimented me on something I'd done,, that I always figured she did much better than I ever felt I could.

sixshot

Buckeye
Tyrone, my mom has a real sweet tooth, at 89 years old she's happy with the little things.
For those that are lucky enough to have huckleberries, it doesn't take many in a cobbler. I used 2 cans of cherries & 1 cup of huckleberries & it comes out great, if you just lean back from your computer & breathe deep you can smell the yummy cobbler. :wink: Huckleberries run $60 a gallon! :cry:
I think callshot (cantshoot) has some extra ones.

Dick

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Dick,

That looks delicious! You had better have some huckleberries in the freezer for when I finally make it out for a visit!

J Miller

Blackhawk
Dick,

In the first picture I noticed the lid with all the bricketts on it has three pegs. Is that so you can flip the lid and use it as a skillet or grill?

Are your Dutch ovens new, or antique? ( I only ask cos we wanna get one or two. )

Also where can you get a charcoal container?

What kind of heat shield is underneath the steel tray you cooked on?

Joe

sixshot

Buckeye
Hello Joe, the lid on the #12 is also a skillet, very handy! I think if you goggle Camp Chef you might find one of the Lewis & Clark ovens, these were made a few years ago but someone just PM'ed me & said he had found one.
Most of my ovens were bought in the 70's, also most are Lodge brand, very good ovens. I also have a rectangluar shaped one thats big enough for 2 large roasts or a leg of lamb, these are over $100, got it back in about 1981.
As far as the charcoal container goes you can make one, thats what I did on my first one. I took a piece of 8-9 inch thin wall pipe about a foot long & wired a false bottom into it, you need some room under the bottom so you can stick some newspaper under it to get the charcoal lit. The false bottom will have several 1" holes in it. Make a couple of cut outs below the false bottom so you can stick the paper inside. Also you can buy them at most country type stores that have dutch oven supplies.
If I'm not using the pipe legs on the stove top I place a piece of particle board underneath to protect my table from the heat.
Come on, lets see some dutch oven master pieces guys! :D

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Hey J Miller,
I just ordered a #12 Dutch oven from Aqua superstore, for $41.95. It's also the Lewis & Clarke commerative. Jeff :D

J Miller

Blackhawk
Dick and Jeff,
Thanks for the info. We have a BIG R store that sells cast iron cook ware here in Spfld. I "think" it's Lodge brand. We'll start there and then look online.

When my wife said she wanted one I asked her what she was gonna cook in it. She answered I'm gonna roast some chicken. Sounds good to me.

Joe

sixshot

Buckeye
Joe, the chicken is great in a dutch oven, I'm sure you've done this before but I'll tell you how I do it.
I have a huge cast iron skillet, probably weighs 30 lbs, its HUGE, I put the cooking oil in & get it really hot, I have my chicken in a cold bucket of water, the chicken goes into the seasoning, use whatever seasoning you normally use, we also add some oinion powder, garlic salt & sometimes I add a packet of ranch dressing mix, really adds some flavor to the chicken, you can also pour a cup of apple juice in with the chicken. Anyway, I shake the chicken in the seasoning really good, if you like it crispy dip it in some milk & back into the seasoning a second time & then into the very hot oil, give it a quicky on each side making sure its brown then pick it up with your tongs & lay it in the dutch oven with no oil & cook slow, chicken doesn't like to be hurried! I like to lay the backs on the bottom, that way if things get to hot, you are burning the breasts! :wink: You want just enough heat that you can hear a little crackling sound when you lift the lid, about an hour. Then jump back, here comes the neighbors!

Dick