DUTCH OVEN BBQ

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
One of the best ways to use the trimmings & lesser cuts on a deer is to make everything into BBQ & nothing brings out the flavor like the old dutch oven.
Here's my recipe for some wonderful venison BBQ.

Trim the meat off the deer in as big of pieces as possible, trim all the fat, etc. & place in an oiled dutch oven, season to taste. I like to keep it fairly simple, I use salt, pepper, garlic salt & Johnnys seasoning. Brown the meat on both sides.
Next I cover the meat with several strips of bacon, usually about 1 lb depending on how much meat is in the oven. Add several slices of onion on top, add 2-3 cups of water & pop everything in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hrs.
The pieces of meat are usually quite small so 2 hrs is usually enough. After removing from the oven I place the dutch oven in the garage overnight so thats its cold the next morning & easier to break up.
Using a set of "pullers" from Glenn Swaggartt I pull the meat into small pieces, next I dice the bacon & onions & after washing the dutch oven everything goes back inside, then comes a full bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, since I'm out of "Cow Town" I used KC Masterpiece, add about 3 cups of water & let simmer on the stove for 2 hours.
I like to place the meat in sadwich bags & then put it in the freezer, then when you've got a bad case of the hungries you just pop a bag in the microwave, drop it on a bun with your favorite side dish & enjoy, goes great with some dutch oven taters!!

100_2621.jpg

This is a #12 dutch oven & about 15 lbs of venison.

Dick

A

Anonymous

NO posting of food pictures! Unless you are going to share. I just ate and you got me hungry all over again! :lol:
Serious, you can invite me over ANY time.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Pulled venison...interesting and looks tasty.

Have you tried doing it like they do the pulled pork sandwiches in the Carolinas and have it with a layer of cole slaw on top ? It is great on the pulled pork.

BearBio

Buckeye
Here's a variation from when I was in grad school (money was TIGHT and we had an elk and a deer in the locker).

Place one venison/elk roast in a crockpot, add one large jar of Mexican salsa (we like chipotle), add one diced onion, additional chipotles or jalapenos, fresh oregano, grind some coriander seed (don't bother with pre-ground). Cook ALL DAY on low, and a couple of hours on high (either at beginning or at the end). Remove and cool overnight. shred. Use in tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. Any game works, elk, venison, antelope, or boar. Also, birds.

Home-made mole sauce:

Stew about 12-15 large tomatoes, one chopped onion, one chopped bell pepper, salt, pepper, garlic, fresh oregano, cumin, and hot peppers (serranos, jalapenos, or chipotles--whatever). Adjust the proportions to suit your taste. Drain and run through a blender after stewing. Add cocoa (not Nestle Quick!) and a SMALL amount of cinnamon. Might try baker's chocolate==I haven't yet. Simmer one hour and adjust spices. For an enchilada sauce, omit chocolate and cinnamon. Thicken, if needed, with store bought tomato paste.

callshot

Blackhawk
Dick said: "Trim all the fat off and place in a oiled Dutch oven."
I say: "How does all that fat taste? Even in a good ol' Dutch oven!
I have to take Betty to the Dr. then I will be over. :p Steve

Zeus

Blackhawk
You know, I guess I need to send a care package of Cow Town up to ID! don't hurt yourself with the bear claws!! I'm shocked you haven't found a way to use them to harvest a deer yet :)

Sheriff, I eat at Head's restaurant in Ponca City fairly regularly, that would be everytime I visit :) His sauce is good but it aint Cowtown :) :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Even though I'm a Carolina hillbilly,, where BBQ sauce is a hotly discussed topic,, I will say that Zeus supplied us with "Cow Town" sauce on the BBQ he cooked for us that was quite good.
All that aside,, that dutch oven BBQ looks mighty tasty!

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Ain't no accounting for some folks tastes, :wink: , but reguardless of what you splash on it, Dick's dutch oven receipe makes a good 'start' for some fine eatin'. :D

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
Cold drizzly day here in the land of 10000 taxes, but.......
Nascar starts at noon;
Vikings vs Packers starts at noon,
(switch between during commercials),

And I have the smoker just outside the front door.

Right now got Salmon and Brisket smoking over Hickory and Oak,
When Salmon is finished it will then be two slabs of ribs which have
a dry rub and been soaking it up 24 hours now.

Brisket is actually a corned beef and then rubbed in
pepper and spices and will become Pastrami!!!

Not nice weather, but a goooood day shaping up.