Duplicate Serial # Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DSJW

Bearcat
Hi to All,

First post on this forum and I hope that all the experience here can help me out. I have a Super Single Six with a "D" serial #, D501XXX. I have done a number of searches on the web as well as check the Ruger website and it looks like this may be the first year of production... except for the fact that it is a duplicate serial number and Ruger clearly states that their serial #'s are all over the map.

It is a Super Single Six with the extra cylinder, 6-1/2" barrel, adjustable rear sight, no box or papers, in very nice condition. If anyone can tell me the year of production and their guess/opinion on the current value I would be very grateful.

Thank You for your help!

According to John Dougan's book "Ruger Pistols and Revolvers, The Vintage Years" it looks like it was produced in 1968. As far as value, I'll let some of the more experienced collectors give you their opinion.

Welcome to the Forum.....sounds like a good one to us, but that
number really falls in the RSS range of 1968 and if its a "SC" then ,maybe 1964,but who knows anything is possible these days...does you gun have the "fixed" ( drift) rear sight or fully adjustable rear??? The SC guns, that were "D" were a bit later, but I'd guess, it couldbe one of the first ones, would change the 'RENE' noted range......by a few thousand numbers lower ( but I was looking at an "older" guide, so I'll see what Chet15 has to offer........)
I'd call 'records' dept and get a better ship date,tell them which sights the gun has.........
as for value, they run the gammut from $350 to $600 depending on 'condition' and if someone "may" have the 'other' ,serial numbered gun, that your gun 'duplicates'...........we sold my wifes "D" Single Six guns for in the $350-395 range, some time ago.....

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Welcome to the rugerforum.

Really need the whole serial number!!! If last four digits are 1209 I'd be very interested. If not that number then not so much. PM me if you don't want to disclose the number in public. Pictures would be a big help.

DSJW

Bearcat
Thank you for the warm welcome and to everyone so far for your input and time. It's nice to hear from folks who are familiar with these particular revolvers and greatly appreciated.

I will check the type of rear sight this evening and give Ruger a call tomorrow. I may even work up the courage to try and post some pics. Of course I will post what I find out from Ruger and see if there is a consensus on the current value.

The last four digits are not 1209, sorry.

Thank You Muchly!

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey how about D 501052 and D 501728....do we have a WINNER......mine are RSSM Single Sixes NOT Supers......gosh I just love a numbers game......see ya RR.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That SN might be a duplicate within a duplicate range!

There is no reason why the following scenario may not have occured:

Ruger makes SC6 501xyz in 1964, then makes another SC6 (or SC5) 501xyz in 1964 by mistake, calls one a Duplicate and moves on. Then in 1968 when the fixed sight RSSx numbers roll over from 499999 and they accidently start numbering them in the 5xxxxx range, another 501xyz fixed sight gun is made before realizing the big mistake and moving into the 8xxxxx range. The big series of 50xxxx fixed sight guns were simply marked as Duplicates and shipped - likely without checking back to the 1964 records to find out that there was already one (and maybe more?) Duplicate Super(s) made back then. So what you end up with is THREE guns with the same number; one normally numbered SC gun and TWO marked D501xyz, one fixed, one adjustable.

Talk about a numbers game! Find all THREE guns with the same number!

DSJW

Bearcat
The faux ivory grips are by Ajax I believe, the wood grips are the ones that came with the gun. The rear site is obviously the drift type. I was surprised at the difference between the two cylinders so I included a side-by-side picture of the rear of both. Both cylinders have the last three digits of the serial number engraved on the front and no other numbers.

Thank you for any light you can shed on a production date or possible value. If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Oh, the serial number on this gun is neither D 501052 or D 501728.

Left-Side.jpg

Right-Side.jpg

Serial-Number.jpg

Rear-Sight.jpg

Cylinder.jpg

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Interesting therory WMG. Now all I have to do is locate two, maybe phantom, guns! Mine is a Super SC6 shipped as a single cylinder gun in Nov. 1964. All forum members can now help me find the (maybe) missing two! Look for serial number 501209. Thanks!

flatgate

Hawkeye
DSJW":33t28v83 said:
. I have a Super Single Six with a "D" serial #, D501XXX.
Rear-Sight.jpg

Ah, what we have here is a failure to communicate! :D

Super Single-Sixes, in the Old Model days, all have fully adjustable rear sights. Your example is a Single-Six.

flatgate

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
DSJW, your gun is a RSSM, fixed (drift adjustable) sight Single Six (not Super Single Six). Likely made in 1968 after the RSSn model SNs rolled over from 499999. The LR cylinder has a firing pin groove, the WMR does not. This is normal for the vintage. Actual model is RSSMX, where the X denotes convertible with 2 cylinders.

The most interesting thing is the "D" itself, which is similar in style to this one:

Funky-D_on-dup-RSS5X.jpg

Check out the discussion on the "D" stamps here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=53546

yessir, as we figured , the "earlier" version, drift sight gun, which by the way, is a VERY NICE looking gun...nice job.........and yes as said above, the difference in the two cylinders,and back then, they possibly could have BOTH been "numbered" but usually it is the 'spare' ( extra) cylinder that carries the last 3 digits...........
well you peaked the interest of a couiple of guys already as to what the numbers are,,,,, that will make it really interesting in the long haul.....

'WMG' I like your "scenario" , as well as your 'thinking' , makes Chets' job even "nastier"......... :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy":3lobaz90 said:

Ruger makes SC6 501xyz in 1964, then makes another SC6 (or SC5) 501xyz in 1964 by mistake, calls one a Duplicate and moves on. Then in 1968 when the fixed sight RSSx numbers roll over from 499999 and they accidently start numbering them in the 5xxxxx range, another 501xyz fixed sight gun is made before realizing the big mistake and moving into the 8xxxxx range. The big series of 50xxxx fixed sight guns were simply marked as Duplicates and shipped - likely without checking back to the 1964 records to find out that there was already one (and maybe more?) Duplicate Super(s) made back then. So what you end up with is THREE guns with the same number; one normally numbered SC gun and TWO marked D501xyz, one fixed, one adjustable.

Wouldn't the third gun be a "T" prefixed "triplicate" number?
Food for thought :)
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
OldRugerMan":1vhq65dg said:
Interesting therory WMG. Now all I have to do is locate two, maybe phantom, guns! Mine is a Super SC6 shipped as a single cylinder gun in Nov. 1964. All forum members can now help me find the (maybe) missing two! Look for serial number 501209. Thanks!

Hold on there, how do you know your SC6 was shipped as a single cylinder gun??? I only know of two of these (in addition to the single cylinder nickle guns that were shipped), but both of those are factory "seconds" shipped in April 1967.
Chet15

street

Hunter
chet15":23yntw1w said:
weaselmeatgravy":23yntw1w said:

Food for thought :)
Chet15

Only if they realized that they had another "D" gun with that serial number. :!: :!: :!:

DSJW

Bearcat
flatgate":1z83pzlj said:

Super Single-Sixes, in the Old Model days, all have fully adjustable rear sights. Your example is a Single-Six.

flatgate

And THAT'S why it' always a good idea to search out the experts on a subject, LOL.

My apologies for the mistake, I was only going by the serial number range on the Ruger website.

RugerGuy, I'm as sure as I can be, without actually having the cylinders in front of me at the moment, that I saw the last three digits of the serial number on the face of both cylinders when I was doing the pictures last night.

I just spoke with the Ruger Records Department and they say the gun was shipped as a convertible model in May of 1968. With this information from Ruger and after seeing some pictures is there a thought on the current value? BTW, the last three digits are in the 700 range.

And can I provide any pictures or information to anyone here for research or database purposes?

Thank you again for your help!

street

Hunter
DSJW":2fwviuxx said:
flatgate":2fwviuxx said:

flatgate

And THAT'S why it' always a good idea to search out the experts on a subject, LOL.

My apologies for the mistake, I was only going by the serial number range on the Ruger website.

RugerGuy, I'm as sure as I can be, without actually having the cylinders in front of me at the moment, that I saw the last three digits of the serial number on the face of both cylinders when I was doing the pictures last night.

I just spoke with the Ruger Records Department and they say the gun was shipped as a convertible model in May of 1968. With this information from Ruger and after seeing some pictures is there a thought on the current value? BTW, the last three digits are in the 700 range.

And can I provide any pictures or information to anyone here for research or database purposes?

Thank you again for your help!

The RENE gives a price of a $445. This is for a gun that is 95% to 98%, with all of the correct parts. No box or paperwork. Understand that this is just a guide. This is a starting point, if someone is looking for this Model then you may get more. With the economy as it is and a few more hard to find Rugers for sale, you might have to take less.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
chet15":1uqmdveh said:

Yeah, what street said. If they made a D SC gun in 1964, they likely would not have thought to check those old records in 1968. So there would be same numbered D gun in both SC and RSS models, plus the non-D gun in the SC.

DSJW, for value, I have a 100% condition boxed RSSMX duplicate in the 502xxx range valued at $600. Figure the box and papers are worth at least $100 of that. If your gun is less than 100%, adjust down a little and you are right about where street stated, in the mid-$4xx range. Plus perhaps a little extra for the non-original white grips.

DSJW

Bearcat
I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who took the time to share their experience and knowledge. You were very helpful and I have learned a great deal about this neat little revolver, what a great group.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting for that Unfired Gem!

308longdistance

Blackhawk
DSJW":10xnh515 said:
I was surprised at the difference between the two cylinders so I included a side-by-side picture of the rear of both. Both cylinders have the last three digits of the serial number engraved on the front and no other numbers.

Cylinder.jpg

Info from "Know Your Ruger Single Action Revolvers 1953-1963", The cylinders remained this way through 1973 and into the early New Model era.
OM22cylinders.jpg