Dummy Me!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Predator2525

Bearcat
Word to the unwise. Picked up a set of Tritium sights for my Ruger KP345PR and tried to install myself. Instructions said to just pop old ones off and drive new ones on. Front went on ok with just a little filing but I had no idea that the base of the rear sight held springs and the plunger in. By the time I realized, I had already damaged the spring and broke the plunger. Now my gun is at the smith's and I'm having to wait 3 weeks for parts to come and get it back. Costly mistake on my part! :( At least I have the GP's to play with till I get it back.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
IIRC, that plunger and spring is the magazine safety. A lot of people have taken those out because they don't want the mag safety, as leaving a damaged one in there can lead to the gun not firing, but removing it allows the gun to fire reliably with or without a magazine.

Predator2525

Bearcat
Obviously I broke something else cause when I took it to the range to sight in, it wouldn't fire any rounds at all. Whatever I did, damaged it. I know now to take it to a smith for any kind of work like that. Now I'm gun shy on working on them, other than regular field strip and cleaning LOL.