"Dual purpose" Lyman 457122

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Excuse me if this has been covered before, but I'm wondering if Lyman 457122 330 gr HP could do double duty sized down to .454" and pushed to 11-1200 fps in the .45 LC and also as a deer bullet for my .45/70 sized .457-8" at about the same velocity for my young son's limited recoil tolerance. Seems someone mentioned not long ago that this is a pretty accurate bullet. Opinions? TIA, Dennis :?

SBH4628

Blackhawk
457122 HP will take you down to 290gr,The 330 gr is the non HP.I see no reason why not...Just watch your OAL in the Blackhawk. Sizing down a .457 bullet will make it a little longer. You may get a compressed powder charge.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Hmmm....Lyman catalog I just got shows 457122 as a 330 gr HP "Gould Express" designed by John Barlow. :? Maybe Lyman didn't match description to photo....Dennis

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I think they just keep 454190 for the older guns. Not looked at a Lyman catalog in years. Sounds like Im not missing much. Bullet casting is a dieing hobby IMHO

sixshot

Buckeye
That old Gould HP has been around for a long time & its taken a lot of game, I used it back when I had a Ruger #1 45/70, it was a wonderful game bullet. They do weigh about 330 grs HP'ed.
Several folks have sized it down to .454" & used in the Ruger 45 colt, don't remember who for sure, probably John Taffin & Brian Pearce both have done it. Could be wrong here.

Dick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Many thanks Dick. I'm thinking cast fairly soft, they should whack a deer pretty good at 11-1200 fps in the .45/70 or .45 LC at 100 yds or less. I'm mainly wondering about it's accuracy....

sixshot

Buckeye
BO, the biggest problem I see is the expander ball on your 45 colt dies, back when I remember a few folks doing what you are talking about there were lots of old die sets that sized for .454" diameter slugs, now days all of them size for .452" slugs, so you are going to be very tight in the case neck with a somewhat hourglass figure to your loaded round.
You could purchase an expander a little bigger & try that. Good luck.

Dick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
sixshot":1ugydo3k said:
BO, the biggest problem I see is the expander ball on your 45 colt dies, back when I remember a few folks doing what you are talking about there were lots of old die sets that sized for .454" diameter slugs, now days all of them size for .452" slugs, so you are going to be very tight in the case neck with a somewhat hourglass figure to your loaded round.
You could purchase an expander a little bigger & try that. Good luck.

Dick
Got that covered amigo. I just bought a RCBS sizer to compliment my Lee die because it (Lee) sizes for .454"... :wink:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
sixshot":27h9pdig said:
That old Gould HP has been around for a long time & its taken a lot of game, I used it back when I had a Ruger #1 45/70, it was a wonderful game bullet. They do weigh about 330 grs HP'ed.
Several folks have sized it down to .454" & used in the Ruger 45 colt, don't remember who for sure, probably John Taffin & Brian Pearce both have done it. Could be wrong here.

Dick
I'm wondering about seating depth/crimping for .45 LC use too. Front band or front grease groove?

sixshot

Buckeye
The grease groove is fine if you are OK on length, most likely you will have to crimp over the front driving band. I doubt you are going to be able to push that bullet fast enough to need a real heavy crimp.

Dick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
sixshot":1t1co8uk said:
The grease groove is fine if you are OK on length, most likely you will have to crimp over the front driving band. I doubt you are going to be able to push that bullet fast enough to need a real heavy crimp.

Dick
Hoping for an accurate load approaching 1200 fps, I expect there'll be a "little" recoil.....Thanks for the help, Dennis :wink: