Dry Firing Mini 14 OK?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
I wouldn't be doing that over and over again on a daily basis though. The do make .223 snap caps, if you need a little extra insurance. :wink:

SReagle

Single-Sixer
Go to Ruger online and download the Manuel or Read the Manuel you got with the rifle assuming you purchased it New.
If you did not purchase New or did not get a Manuel go to Ruger and download the Manuel & Read it Read it................ :wink:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I have the manual, and am a long time gun owner. I have read it, although I might have missed a thing or two. I specifically went to the "reassembly" portion, since I figured a function check would include a dry fire. Don't see it. Either way, isn't this what forums are for? To wade through the usual 'lawyer speak" in manuals and get to what is really important? Ruger wastes about three pages telling you how to secure the gun in pieces, how to insert a cable lock into the action, how not to drink or do drugs while shooting, but they don't give some REAL definition to the field stripping procedure (like, for instance, that you should take that little door off before removing the bolt stop. Ruger video says to do that, but I wasted 10 minutes trying to wiggle the bolt out before doing that by following the manual)

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I do dry fire all my guns, but very rarely (certainly not over and over) as a general rule. I never know which guns can take it and which can't.

DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY: What do snap caps do?? :oops:

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
fossils and guns":3hb0p98i said:
I do dry fire all my guns, but very rarely (certainly not over and over) as a general rule. I never know which guns can take it and which can't.

DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY: What do snap caps do?? :oops:

Snap caps are usually some kind of plastic material and have the same demensions of the actual round. The idea is to deaden the blow of the firing pin going forward without something to deaden the blow when no primer is present. Especially in the case of rimfire guns since the firing pin will most likely slam into the chamber wall and either break the firing pin or damage it in some way as to make the gun not work or unreliable. I have some for .22s, but after a while you need to get new ones since the plastic rims can only take so much abuse. I've read that shotguns also should never be dry fired, but not sure exactly why. I guess just follow the same rule for rifles and you can't go wrong. Some snap caps can also be used to see check the action to see if it will cycle a round, this done manually, by hand. The safety value in this case is really great, since cycling live ammo is never a good thing in the home or garage.

Nothing Dumb about that question!

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its okay to dry fire any Ruger, even the Old Army. They are built to handle it. If you don't believe me, you can call Ruger and they will tell you. I dry fire my comp guns all the time and have never had a problem.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
Plinker MKII":iisyszon said:
Snap caps are usually some kind of plastic material and have the same demensions of the actual round. The idea is to deaden the blow of the firing pin going forward without something to deaden the blow when no primer is present. Especially in the case of rimfire guns since the firing pin will most likely slam into the chamber wall and either break the firing pin or damage it in some way as to make the gun not work or unreliable. I have some for .22s, but after a while you need to get new ones since the plastic rims can only take so much abuse. I've read that shotguns also should never be dry fired, but not sure exactly why. I guess just follow the same rule for rifles and you can't go wrong. Some snap caps can also be used to see check the action to see if it will cycle a round, this done manually, by hand. The safety value in this case is really great, since cycling live ammo is never a good thing in the home or garage.

Nothing Dumb about that question!

Thanks, Plinker. I've been wondering that for awhile.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
In fact in the FAQ's on Ruger webpage, they announce the all Rugers are made to handle "dry fire".

thought i would add actual words...and make sure the caution was presented!! :!:

"Yes. All Ruger rifles can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!"

source
www.ruger.com

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
BUT for the MKIII .22 pistols...

Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
208packinheat":37yehdkw said:
In fact in the FAQ's on Ruger webpage, they announce the all Rugers are made to handle "dry fire".

thought i would add actual words...and make sure the caution was presented!! :!:

"Yes. All Ruger rifles can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!"

source
www.ruger.com

You just better make sure that if you do that on a P345, the magazine is inserted. Dry fire a P345 with no magazine and it will stop going bang when you want it to.

Some of the newer snap caps seem to have the plastic "primers" mounted on springs, so that they still absorb the energy of the firing pin, but the plastic "primer" lasts longer.