Drilling new SS Blackhawk front sight blade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ssqman

Bearcat
I was wondering what your procedure is for drilling the hole on a new front sight blade for the SS Blackhawk. I don't have a drill press, just a cordless drill.

THere are several ways to do it.

1. Secure the sight blade in the slot with something that will hold it down tight. Get the correct size drill bit and drill half way through from one side then drill through from the other side. That way if the bit is canted a little it won't ruin the sight blade.

2. Secure the sight blade in the slot with something that will hold it down tight. Take a small diameter center punch or awl and mark the sight blade from both sides. Take it out, secure it so you can again drill the hole from both sides (since you are doing it by hand) and you might not be able to hold the drill perfectly vertical like a drill press would.

I might suggest that if you do a lot of work on your guns it might behoove you to buy a bench top drill press. There not overly expensive (depending on the brand and what extras you might want) and they reall make things easier, not just for working on guns but for things around the homestead.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I have used the clamp in place, drill halfway from both sides method with great results several times.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I have used the clamp in place, drill halfway from both sides method with great results several times."

I've used this method several times myself.

Reactions: LAH

Johnnu2

Hunter
This was VERY helpful to me.... (I have a drill press but not a lot of self-confidence).... Been 'sitting-on' a new Hi-Viz fiber optic for a Ruger Bisley .41 Mag for several years.... May give this a try sooner or later.
THANKS ALL,
J.

ssqman

Bearcat
I've been thinking about this and looking at Home Depot I can get a drill press for about $110. There have been a lot of times I wished I had a drill press. I'm not quite confident on drilling that freehand.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
It's not hard at all if you take your time. Had the front sight break off a stainless 41 bisley. Ruger sent a new sight for free. 10 minutes work, sight was on and good to go. Go slowly, drill from both sides, check your angle often. You can do it.

ssqman

Bearcat
Update. I ended up doing the clamp sight and mark each side of the sight blade through the hole. Then slowly and carefully using the cordless drill. I got it right and it fits great. I ended up ordering a new pin with the sight blade just in case and decided to put it in. Also used a dab of red loctite. Thanks for your suggestions.

Good for you, you asked a question, listened to the answers and followed through with success. Thumbs up for you.

Also, many people will put a VERY, VERY slight bend in the pin before inserting. That way, when it goes in, the "bend" will lock the pin in. Lots of folks also do this when replacing the rear sights on Rugers and other revolvers to help lock the pin(s) to keep them from falling out and losing the rear sight from recoil.

I just got a blank in the mail from 2Dogs, so I'll post a couple pics, to go along with the narrative from above. Thus is in a SS Ruger Blackhawk 327Federal 8 shot, with a BFR rear ( taller and wider) rear sight.
597A7D75-BA09-4F53-BA41-05147C29CFE6.jpeg
0D5F58CF-95BD-4FFB-B921-7318EB338FD8.jpeg
CB575B0D-B50B-47D9-9F2D-7214ADFE35C5.jpeg
8FB72ED1-A39A-4680-9E0D-4D23DEAE1CB4.jpeg

Push out pin, r&r front blade.
I used a small clamp to hold tight. Started one side, flipped it over, finished hole thru other side to keep aligned.
Install pin.
Now I can shoot at different ranges, and file down the F blade till it's where it works for my gun and load, send to Fermin to install the brass bead that works best for this modified gun.