Double Tap Ammunition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harrydog

Bearcat
I'm looking for a good defensive round for use in my SP101 and was wondering about Double Tap. I've heard some good things about it. Has anyone used their .38 Special +P or .357 Mag ammo in an SP101? How is the recoil compared to others?

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I carry Double Tap 125gr Gold Dot (which they call more generically now "Bonded Defense JHP"). The recoil is stout but not out of the realm of other factory loads. I find it manageable, but then I have the rubber Hogue Monogrip on my SP.

Their web site makes some wild claims. Here's some real numbers, out of my 2.25" SP101 through a chronograph -- not what their numbers would predict but still pretty darn respectable for a snubby, I think.

doubletapvelocity.png

harrydog

Bearcat
Thanks.
Like you say, that's still pretty respectable performance out of a snubby.
The one at only 1060fps brought the average down quite a bit. I wonder why so much variation between that one and the others...

mactex

Bearcat
I don't usually like to talk about things I've not experienced personally, but I have been reading a lot of negative comments over the past few months related to the components that Double Tap has been using. Some customers have been reporting DTs use of non-Gold Dot bullets in their bonded line. A few have posted performance reports (water bottle testing, gel testing, wet phone book testing) that indicates the non-Gold Dot bullets are not consistently expanding. I'm assuming that demand for their product coupled with the recent issues with component supplies has forced them to use bullets from other manufacturers which may not be up the quality of DTs prior products. YMMV.