Double stamped serial number BKH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nrobe50

Buckeye
I recently purchased an old model SBH 6 1/2 and noticed the last number of the serial number is double stamped. There is a faint 0 with number 1 overstamped. Has anyone out there in Ruger land ever run across this?

is it really a "0" digit , or just a piece of 'metal' cut off, caught in the die and 'impressed' along with the serial number.......will often see such anomolies in the manufacturing world as we know it.............
a GOOD clear, close-up picture will tell us about all we need to know.........

inquiring minds............... :roll:

if it is indeed a " restamp" ( or stamp over) GOOD question for the 'BATFE'...

nrobe50

Buckeye
it could very well be metal caught in the die. i hadn't thought of that possibility. the zero is very faint and but have no trouble reading the correct number. i will try to get a picture........

street

Hunter
If it's a 6 1/2 in Bl. Super Blackhawk, "Old Model". Then that's a great find. Only about 600 made.

chet15

Hawkeye
nrobe50":1sqzz924 said:
I recently purchased an old model SBH 6 1/2 and noticed the last number of the serial number is double stamped. There is a faint 0 with number 1 overstamped. Has anyone out there in Ruger land ever run across this?

It happens...but usually because the whole sn was stamped twice.
Details coming in my upcoming book!
I wonder if your example though is more of an anomaly from the casting...which didn't get completely polished out.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey, I also remember a .357 flattop with an overstamped number on the end..don't remember the number now...10xxx range or 15xxx range or something, but always thought it could be one of those unprovable things.
I've also had reported an M77 s/n 70- 4478D that would otherwise appear to have been rollmarked without the third digit of the serial number, the one after the dash. But after the dash could be seen the bottom line of a number one that was in-line with the tops of the other digits, a case of the numbering digit advanced too far around to impress the whole number into the metal. That gun was shipped though as a "D" gun, duplicating serial number 70-04478.
I can also say that there were a lot of Ruger's about the time period (all models) of the S47 in question where the digits were North or South of where they should be (really sloppy looking).
Chet15

nrobe50

Buckeye
chet15 i sent you an e-mail. if you can blow up the pictures you will see what i mean

Kanook

Buckeye
I've got a P90 that the warning is double stamped. You need to look close at it to read it

chet15

Hawkeye
Other double stamped rollmarks happen once in a while, and even upside down rollmarks and no rollmarks at all, but the serial number having issues is pretty rare since that comes down to a BATF issue.
One time one of our neighbors showed us his Single-Six s/n 342198 that had Ruger's normal Single-Six rollmark stamped over the top of a .22 Win. Mag. rollmark. Note that this gun was made about 2,000 guns after the .22 Win Mag. Rollmark was ceased to be used!
Sadly, this gun was destroyed in a house fire. :(
It was a dog when we first saw it, but still would have made a nice addition to the collection.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey everybody...nrobe50 has got the real deal!!! Another anomaly in the Ruger collecting world. His gun definitely has the last digit of the serial number overstamped over a 1, and its all factory applied.
Chet15

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Somebody say double stamp? :shock:

Here is a RST6
fc757713.jpg

And a RST4

088c2f22.jpg

Latest posts