double action ring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
Depends....

A Colt will almost always have a "half ring", as they generally lift the dog about halfway between the stops. Not always, though, I've seen some with better timing (and maybe they were worked on).

Rugers, at least all those I've seen, will get a 2/3 ring, as they lift even sooner than the Colts. Never seen one with no ring.

S&W.... most I've seen have less ring than the Colt..... about 1/3. Usually less pronounced than the Colt - my guess is that it's not as strong a spring on the dog.

And, with all of them, if you don't take a little care to index the cylinder as you close it, you'll eventually get a full ring.

J Miller

Blackhawk
On double actions the full circumference ring comes from closing the cylinder without indexing it then rolling the cylinder till it locks.
Eventually you get a fully ringed cylinder. Easy to prevent if you want.

Joe

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Ok , I know how a ring appears on a single action so how does a double action cylinder get its ring ?

Howdy

With most double action revolvers, when you pop open the cylinder the bolt is already in the up position. When you then close the cylinder, the bolt will be bearing against the cylinder in whatever position the cylinder happens to be in when it is closed. Any subsequent rotation of the cylinder to latch it up will result in the bolt rubbing against the cylinder. We had a big discussion here a few months ago about whether or not this constituted 'abuse' of the gun. Personally, I feel it is completely normal for a double action revolver to be treated this way, it is not abuse. Double actions are simply different than single actions.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson":2wckfbxk said:
..Personally, I feel it is completely normal for a double action revolver to be treated this way, it is not abuse. Double actions are simply different than single actions.
...And closing the gate on a new model and turning the cylinder to the first notch is abuse ???

CLICK HERE for a little sound file of me installing a cylinder, a little spin, closing the gate and turning to the first notch.

...just curious, Jimbo

tek4260

Buckeye
I thought not lining everything up was only acceptable if you were in a gunfight with more than 5 or 6 and had to reload :lol: 8)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag":2r6agfnl said:
...And closing the gate on a new model and turning the cylinder to the first notch is abuse ???
No, but lowering the hammer from the half cock notch on a revolver so-equipped and then turning the cylinder to lock is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
CraigC":2f7s4bid said:
Jimbo357mag":2f7s4bid said:
No, but lowering the hammer from the half cock notch on a revolver so-equipped and then turning the cylinder to lock is.

OUCH!!! I'll agree with that.