don't ya hate it when you miss out on the fun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
Dad and one of my brothers and a bunch of guys from North central Oklahoma are going to be shooting at Whittington Center in Raton NM this week. Clanging iron on the rifle silhouette range. Only a three our drive from the house here in the SLV and some good brown trout fishing spots between there and here on the Purgatory river west of Trinidad and Trinidad lake.
We are trying to get ready to travel this fall, moving out of our rental in the next few days. Store our household in our container until we get ready to build a house next spring. So trying to take a couple days to go shoot at Raton is kind of a silly spending of our cash right now.

Dad said "Son I hate to see you miss it, I noticed that when you are making good hits on long range targets, you are so calm and sure of yourself and not stressed at all" 89yr old Dad observations should be heeded, huh?

If I go even for just a day, it will be a hundred bucks in gas and at least $150 in 30-06 ammo as I really had not loaded very many since the last trip to Whittington.

contender

Ruger Guru
Just think of how much you'll kick yourself if you DON'T go. Your dad is 89 years young & may not be able to do this again anytime soon.

FastEd

Hunter
I've been there a couple of times. Great place to spend time...

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Sure wish I could watch my Dad shoot somewhere. Lost him when he was 47 ,May 18 1963

roylt

Hunter
At first I was thinking you should be responsible with your money and not go BUT spending time with your Dad/Bro etc is hard to put a price on. You say you want to travel later this year why not pack your wife and family too and make this your vacation. Seems like a win win to me.

Grand scheme of things 250 isn't much money. Especially now a days.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WE were married on the field pistol sillywet range at Whittington June 7, 2001.
The fifty big bore sixgun salute afterwards was spectacular. We go back for a week every year honeymooning.
And so it goes...

Paul B

Buckeye
It's only money and the Good Lord knows very well I have damn little of that stuff. But, if my dad was that old, and I didn't go, I'd probably be kicking myself till hell freezes over. Just go. Do it and be glad you did.
Paul B.

wolfsong

Staff member
Don, if only I had known sooner, I could have kicked down some .06 ammo. Seems how California has a "no lead" statewide hunting ammo ban coming up in a couple of years, I gotta do something with more than a cabinet full of bullets.

In any case, go. And don't look back. Don't look back until you're taking a pleasurable trip down Memory Lane. Then, you'll be glad you went.

Peace and God bless, Wolfie.

Pierow

Blackhawk
Hi Don,

I can't say it any better than the rest of the responders here but I can suggest one thing. Read your post, read it again then one more time. I've never met you before but in almost every word you typed I got the impression you were trying to convince yourself to go. You know you will not regret going but possibly the opposite if you don't. Guess we are laying it on fairly thick aren't we:)

Best, Pierow

Pierow said:
Hi Don,

I can't say it any better than the rest of the responders here but I can suggest one thing. Read your post, read it again then one more time. I've never met you before but in almost every word you typed I got the impression you were trying to convince yourself to go. You know you will not regret going but possibly the opposite if you don't. Guess we are laying it on fairly thick aren't we:)

Best, Pierow
Yeah, you should go. Hey, $250.00 on a credit card is easy to pay off. Think of the priceless memories. Just do it. Good luck, and have fun :)
gramps