Donating brass to those who reload

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A while back I learned one of my good neighbors reloads. It was kind of funny that folks you think you know, what more your learn.
I told him we had just been donating the spent cases to the range and he asked if we'd save it. I would up saving all the .38 special cases we shot end of last year and I finally stopped by and gave it to him today.
The deal back then when we first talked - he said he'd give half of the round count back to me reloaded.

I was expecting anything in return, and still don't. Today I said what ever he wanted and that I was good, no expectations or rush.

For the reloaders here, when you get free cases do give any back reloaded to those donating? Just curious. I know guys hit my range to get the casings each day, my whole thing was just getting it to someone I know.

dannyd

Hunter
Sometimes people hear you reload and give you brass you will never use. So, you say thanks and take it nicely; I have an ammo can with probably 100 pounds of brass people have given me that I will never use.

In those back stops at Gateway there's probably north of 150,000 rounds of my reloads. :)

NikA

Buckeye
I'd give something back to family or good friends. There is a bit of a liability issue to giving out home-loaded ammo.

Example: I loaded some .300 BO for a cousin. He fired one round and the second round locked up the gun to the point of needing to be completely disassembled. We then re-gaged the ammo, which checked as good; maybe a dimensional issue with a new barrel. Still, I wouldn't want this hanging over my head if we weren't related.

There must be very few people at my range that reload. Everytimw I go there, I spend 20 or 30 minutes picking up empty brass. Mostly 9mm.

I've got a bucket under my reloading bench, when it's full I take it to the recycling place, it's worth about $1.15 or so per pound. Of course I only recycle the bad brass and that which I don't reload.

dannyd

Hunter
9 mm is not economically to reload at the prices of components VS. store ammo. It would only be economical if you already had the components or a special load.

I load 12 gauge shotgun shells because I use 3/4 oz. 12 ga. which are hard to come by.

If I could use standard 1oz. or 1-1/8 oz. I would never reload them because store purchased would be much cheaper.

But, I have managed to tear both rotator cuffs. :(

I don't load for anyone but myself and I don't even give away cast bullets anymore. When people ask now I just tell I can't because of the cost involved.

dannyd

Hunter
There must be very few people at my range that reload. Everytimw I go there, I spend 20 or 30 minutes picking up empty brass. Mostly 9mm.

I've got a bucket under my reloading bench, when it's full I take it to the recycling place, it's worth about $1.15 or so per pound. Of course I only recycle the bad brass and that which I don't reload.
That's a good idea; I going to have to check out if the local recycling company with take the brass some of it is 35 years old.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off, the general consensus is to not shoot someone else's reloads. Liability is an issue here. Plus,, there's a little BATF law about having a license to manufacture ammo for others.

Brass;

Odd or other brass in calibers not used by yourself has good value. As scrap,, (as noted above) is one way. But odd calibers or hard to find calibers will bring more money than scrap easily. It used to be, (not too many years ago,) that most brass was selling for as low as 0.03 cents each, (for the very common stuff,) to upwards of 0.20 cents each for harder to get stuff. Now,, I'm seeing brass that used to be very common, selling for 0.20- 0.50 cents each.
I'd say it'd be better to sell the usable brass for what it is other than scrapping it.

True dat! I actually collected some 45 acp brass, enough to deprime and clean and sell.

Probably didn't make as much as working a real job, but it's a return on a fun hobby.

Post #7 made my point, I was going to handload and sell only to friends but don't want trouble from the BATF. I could have got a license but then there is still some liability. I would need to be covered and never even looked at what that would cost me. I won't shoot others handloads and won't allow my handloads in other persons guns.

I also get people asking if I reload and they hand me brass, usually all calibers mixed up. I run a magnet thru them to get out the steel, and then dump them in a bag. When I have time I'll sort thru and get the most interesting out to save for myself, Military and oddball stuff {including 22} goes in the recycle can along with plumbing parts and other misc. brass. About once a year I make a trip to the recycler and make a little $ to go toward my next reloading component purchase. It's what I call my turning old brass into primers program. At the LDWF range I use there are buckets at each station people dump their brass into, and we are required to sweep up after ourselves. You would be surprised at how fast it can add up.

Thanks to all for the replies. A lot of good information here for the not so informed OP! Something told me the .38 special might be more along the lines someone would reload but I guess maybe laziness too. Its easy to just dump your cylinder into a bag to collect! If my neighbor asks for any brass in future I won't decline but if he wants to provide back, I'll keep above info in mind and just tell him its all for him.

XP100

Blackhawk
Ammo Manufacturerers license, Large liability Ins. policy and a tax number to collect the (I believe) 11% Federal Excise taxon each round required according to the Robertson Pittman act on ammo. I would think a 1 or 2 million dollar liability policy would be very costly.

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I belong to an indoor range. It is kept cleaned up so not brass laying around, sometimes some is in a barrel. The rule is if you want it, take it. I also shoot in competition and lots of brass then. I would guess about half of us reload, the half don't care what happens to their brass. I pick everything, 22, rifle at a friends range in calibers I will never load and sort it all out. Sometimes when I get a good bunch of a caliber like 243 or 270 I take it to the range and put a sign on it, to take for free. Junk stuff, lots of 22 cases, goes into a clear cookie container that looks like a bear and when full, goes to scrap yard along with steel and aluminum cases. I just cleaned up a coffee can full of 9 mm brass to give a friend who could use it. The one thing I don't do it reload it for anyone else. I did pour some lead bullets for the range master who liked my SAECO WC mold for 38. I suppose that is taking a chance as well. It is difficult sometimes to know where to draw the line between being greedy and helpful.

I would also add that when I shoot at league, if a person shoots something he has marked or a caliber others aren't using, I pick it up and when I sort brass the next day, I put it aside to give back to the guy. I just think that is the right thing to do. One guy is a very good shot and shoots 45 and 10 mm when almost no one else does. I keep 45 brass but have all I need, he probably has all he needs as well but he gets it back from me if I pick it up. Courtesy and the guys is a really nice person.

Last edited:
Regarding 38 special. I've always reloaded 38 special. It's very easy with many different reloading options from mild to extra hot.

A few years ago I started to notice the different case heads and brands were all reloading differently. Some were easy to set primers, others not so much. Some really seated the bullets further in than others.

Finally I dumped ALL my mixed 38's and even 357's. Then I bought enough Starline brass of each to last me for as long as I will be reloading. Nickel plated 38's and brass 357's for easy identification.

That was the best decision i made about reloading. And saved me a ton of headaches and problems.

Most metal recycling places nowadays won't sell scrap metal back to the public. I have been told this is because they are China connected and sell it all to China. I seem to remember hearing from my elders this didn't work out so well back when they were Japanese connected. That was pre-World War Two. I believe this is worth thinking about.

I take the brass I can not or choose not to reload and I try to find folks that can reload it and want it. That keeps the resources here in the USA. If we find we need them, we will need them all over this country. Let's keep reloadable cartridge brass here.

dannyd

Hunter
Thanks to all for the replies. A lot of good information here for the not so informed OP! Something told me the .38 special might be more along the lines someone would reload but I guess maybe laziness too. Its easy to just dump your cylinder into a bag to collect! If my neighbor asks for any brass in future I won't decline but if he wants to provide back, I'll keep above info in mind and just tell him its all for him.
It was wet at the range today should be dry for you tomorrow. :)

BE0BAA80-D068-4561-BAFA-4614D4FE8EFD.jpeg

It was wet at the range today should be dry for you tomorrow. :)

View attachment 17495
No rain today Dannyd!

Finally got out and got rounds through my two 10/22s recently acquired. First time for any rifles for me today.
Yes the lead sled way overkill for a little 10/22 but I have to learn to shoot them left handed as I'm cross eye dominant. I had a lot of fun, but a friend of mine, 'The Legend' facilitated the results with supplying the sled and spotter.
Dedicated 25/50 yard ranges were full and we turned a members only range into a 25yard setup.
Target pic is from my scoped 10/22.
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

Last edited: