D'oh!, why'd I go back to the gun store tonight....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MacTech

Bearcat
I stopped off at my local gunshop (Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine) tonight to see if they had any Hogue or Pachmahr grips for my GP100....

While I was there, I stopped off at the used handgun counter, specifically, the single-action counter, perusing the guns, I've always loved the crisp feel of a single-action trigger, I'm not really a fan of DA in either revolver or semi

As I scanned the guns in the counter, one called out to me....

a blued Ruger New Model Blackhawk, in .45 Long Colt/.45ACP!, it had nice ?maple? grips on it, and was in great shape, aside from the ubiquitous turn line that all revolvers get, lockup was solid, the trigger was light and crisp (and tasty ;) ), it had the long 6" barrel, the grips were a *tad* short for my wide palms, but I also checked out a Pachmahr gripped .357 NMBH, and those grips fit better, so grips are really a non-issue here, it pointed well, not as truly instinctive as my GP, but that's probably because I have never shot a full-size SA revolver before and I'm probably not gripping it right....

I'm tempted by this NMBH, *seriously* tempted, to the point that I'm considering trading back my GP100 for the NMBH .45.....

the .45 has a lot of advantages to me, I love single-actions, I love the clicky noise the loading gate and cylinder makes when spun, heck, I even like the slower pace of one-at-a-time loading/unloading, takes me back to simpler times, but most importantly, the *REAL* reason I'm tempted by the NMBH......

I reload for my Kimber 1911 .45 ACP, which means I *ALREADY HAVE AMMO* for it, it also means I won't have to stock another caliber or two (.357/.38Spl), and considering that .357/.38 is *impossible* to find in my area, (KTP has bulk .38SPL +P but it's more than I want to pay, and i really prefer shooting .357 in a .357)

then again, I *love* how overbuilt the GP100 is, it looks and feels indestructible, it's modular and easy to break down for detail cleaning, and it's quicker to unload/load

that said, I'm seriously tempted by the NMBH .45

Which gun is more rugged/durable, the GP100 or the NMBH?

Advantages of the GP;
I already own it
Overbuilt construction
*this one* has a trigger that's smoother than a S&W 686 in both SA and DA
points naturally
Stainless

Disadvantages of the GP100
Ammo is difficult/impossible to find right now
.357 is a painful round to shoot (shockwave/muzzleblast and recoil), admittedly, I haven't shot the GP yet, but I have shot .357 in the Taurus 689 I used to have, that was an unpleasant experience
I have to stock two new calibers in my ammo stores

Advantages of the NMBH .45
I already have plenty of ammo for it (I reload .45ACP) and have a decent amount of components to build more ammo
I've heard good things about .45LC and would love to try it, all I'd need is a set of dies for my press to reload for .45LC
I love the clicky sounds it makes when loading and drawing the hammer back
SA is a simpler internal design, less to go wrong, easier to fix in the field/at the range if something does go wrong

Disadvantages of the NMBH .45
I don't own one yet
Single action makes it less useful as a personal defense weapon, but that's what my 1911 would be for
6" barrel makes it hard to carry around just to have on me, but then again, the 1911 fills that role

since the GP100 would just be a range toy anyway, I think I'd have more fun with a range toy I can actually shoot, and have sufficient ammo stocks for....

So, trade the GP for the NMBH, or keep the GP, I'm not financially able to own both at the moment
Simply put, the only thing making me consider keeping the GP100 is the "overbuilt" feel of it, I love things that are built to last

Personal observations based on owning using both of the guns in question.

They are both heck for stout

They will likely "shoot better" than you can . . . better than I can, at any rate.

The .357 in the GP is not bad recoil-wise. That's a lotta gun. Besides, like the .45 Colt, it's all in how you load for it.

The .357 is probably the most flexible/versatile gun to reload for, and that solves the ammo problem.

The .45 Blackhawk is simply a BALL to shoot, and loading for it brings out its best features.

You NEED both guns, beause they are so different.

You really do.

Really.

JMHO
:)

PS . . . If you trade off the GP you will regret it almost immediately. Then you'll just have to go out and buy another.

PPS . . . Welcome to RugerForum, where we sympathize with your dilemma.

MacTech

Bearcat
Ale, thanks for the response, I know I need both, but at the moment I don't have the finances to own both....

Right now, I have approx. 450+ rounds of .45ACP, a mix of reloads and WWB 100 packs, and I have about 500 .45 bullets (200 Gr LSWC) and plenty of primers, brass and powder, so all told, about 1000 rounds of .45ACP available, and commercial .45ACP is readily available right now at my gun shop, ranging from 50 round boxes to 250 round bulkpacks

I have a grand total of *ONE* 50-round box of 145Gr HBWC .38 Specials, *NO* .357 Mags, the gunstore has no small pistol primers either, they do have bulk packs of .38Spl+P but they're asking too much for it ($150 for a 250 round box)

If I went out to the range this Sunday, I could put plenty of lead downrange with the NMBH, but I'd have to ration my .38's

I know I'll eventually wind up with both, resistance *IS* futile ;) but right now, I could actually *USE* the Blackhawk, wheras all I can do with the GP right now is load up some snap-caps and dry-fire, dry firing and making "Bang, Bang" noises is remarkably less fun than firing actual live rounds...

Decisions, decisions...

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Here is my opinion on your particular situation. (Thank you for giving such a complete analysis):

Since your GP-100 is mostly a range toy, you might as well have the Blackhawk that spoke to you; it would be great for fondling, carrying around a little, shooting a lot, cleaning & customizing... all the stuff we do with guns besides protecting our families and killing dangerous or delicious animals. (A Blackhawk comes in close second place to a Vaquero for holding in your lap while you watch old western movies, always UNLOADED, of course.)

You would not be at a disadvantage with the single action, because the Kimber will cover your personal defense needs.

There is a lot to be said for only loading one caliber (or in this case, having 2 cartridges, but the capability of using one common cartridge in both guns). You might establish a decision to only own .45 ACP and .45 Colt guns, and keep that up even as your collection grows. In that case, you would be in an enviable position to some of us. (Although others of us enjoy branching out into many different cartridges.)

If you were only going to own one gun, and you were choosing between the GP and the Blackhawk, I'd suggest staying with the GP because it is more versatile. Since you already have a 1911, I think the Blackhawk would be a great choice because it complements that gun nicely and suits your intended purposes very well.

I often go with my gut on decisions like this, and I describe it as choosing the gun that "speaks to me." Since that is the very phrase you used to describe the Blackhawk, I think you'd probably not regret making the trade.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Never buy a gun to suit the ammo that you have ... in my opinion, the GP is the better gun. The Ruger DA revolvers seem to be a part of my hand when I shoot them, the Ruger SA's always seemed like I was holding onto the end of it rather than it being a part of my hand like the GP. I know this is sacrilege to many ... I tried to get into the SA revolvers and they just plain didn;'t work for me. I bought two and I sold two. I really liked their looks, and I liked owning them, but I didn;t like shooting them at all.

The one gun I truly regretted selling was my first GP100. I stupidly sold it, and it took me two years to find a suitable replacement. I finally did find another older one used, so now I again have a GP or two in my stable.

I'd think real carefully before making that trade. As others have said, I'd try to keep the GP, and somehow get the money for the convertible. If you've never shot a SA before, I'd highly recommend shooting a friends before trading your GP for one. You may not like the 'feel' of the SA.

Just my opinion, which won't be shared by all ....

REV

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
As much as i like the ruger SA's, i would hate for you to get rid of the gp100. everybody should own a DA .357, and thats a nice one. You can reload the round as stout or as mild as you want to.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I don't know... I was just talking to a buddy of mine about how I haven't even shot any of my .38/.357 guns after discovering .44 Special and .45 Colt. Since you already reload that aspect really doesn't matter. You can load anything up as mild or wild as you want it.

I've never been any good at deciding what would be my "one" gun, though.

-- Sam

deac45

Single-Sixer
A revolver, either SA or DA, that can shoot 45ACP is a great way to burn up ammo that for whatever reason just wont function in a semi auto. For some reason, at the range, 357 muzzle blast and concusion really bother me...more so than larger calibers. But, by handloading it down a notch it becomes a pleasant all day plinker.
Having said that...I don't think I would bust up a GP100/1911 ACP combo for the Blackhawk unless I wanted to have just 45 caliber guns. I would keep what I have and try to save up for the Blackhawk.
One other thing...I personally would rather detail strip & re-assemble a GP100 than a Blackhawk. Guess I'm just more familiar with the DA's.

deac45

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Recoil is minimal with the GP100, and better than a Taurus. My GP100 is a versitile and reliable revolver. I sent a PM, maybe that will help. best greg :D

OK, if you held my feet to the fire and forced me to give up one or the other, I'd let the GP go and keep the convertible .45 Blackhawk.

Because I like single-actions better than double-actions, and I thus shoot the Blackhawk much, much more than I do the GP. Strictly personal preference.

But I'd certainly miss the GP.

:(

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
Every time I have ever traded or sold a gun I have for another one I have always regretted it later.
I would see if the gun shop does lay-aways. Mine will let me do 90 days same as cash. If I see something I cant live without, I can drop $50 on it and pay a little whenever I can spare a dime. That would be my suggestion.

VL

MacTech

Bearcat
Right now, finances are not conducive to owning both, I went back to the shop this evening, tried the Blackhawk again, and fell in love, the SA trigger is just so bloody *crisp*, it's the proverbial "glass rod breaking", the grips are gorgeous, warm wood, and the .45ACP cylinder looked basically unfired, the .45LC was pretty clean as well

The grip fit me quite well, once I realized I was holding it too far down and my pinky was hanging off the butt of the grip, once I shifted my grip up, it settled in naturally and pointed dead-on, the balance was nice and neutral

So, I made the trade, and I'm happy, I *always* wanted a .45ACP revolver, in fact, had I seen this gun when I was looking at the GP100, I would have chosen this one in the first place anyway

this gun even came in the original yellow and black box, with the original Ruger grips, and the spare cylinder in a little red bag inside a Ruger box, the only thing missing from the box was the owners manual

I have shot Single Action before, and I've always loved it, I had lots of fun with Dad's Single Six growing up as a child, it was rare when he'd let me shoot it, so it was always a treat, he doesn't shoot it much anymore, and I'm a grown man now, but the Ruger Single action has always reminded of happy summer days on the farm in Maine, plinking at tin cans, or punchin' paper targets on our little .22 range out in the woodlot

The timeless design and simplicity of the Ruger Single Action has always had a special place in my heart, the GP100 was a nice revolver, but it just felt like nothing more than a "tool" designed for slinging lead at high speeds

I know I'll eventually end up with a GP100, as they *are* nice guns, but right now, the Blackhawk is just a more practical revolver for my purposes

Besides, "Blackhawk" is just a cooler sounding name than the Alphabet Soup-esque "GP-100", that sounds more like a car name ;)

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Very nice figure on those grips. I would have gone w/ the BH too. I do shoot mine with my pinky under though. Whatever works for you to get that "45 roll".

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Congrats!!!! Nice gripstockhandlepanelslabs!!! Hurry out and enjoy her, but...

Now you have to start saving your aluminum money for another GP.

Actually, Bill Ruger took the name "Blackhawk" form a classic car he fancied . . . as he also did with the "Bearcat". Bill was quite the old car fanatic.

Just so you know, those are not original Ruger grip panels, but they sure are pretty.

Nice gun.

Enjoy.

:)

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Pretty grips.

Youre gonna need another GP100.

I woulda gone the lay away route myself.

What do I mean woulda?
I did today.

If you have small pistol primers, there are very good BlueDot loads and it only wants small pistol, not magnum primers for .357. Just for future reference when you do get another GP.

MacTech

Bearcat
This gun came with the nice grips already on it, and it had the original Ruger grips in the box

I'm thinking of stripping and refinishing the Ruger grips to see if I can't make them look a bit better, they can't compare with the grips that are on the BH right now though

I plan to shoot mostly .45ACP through it for now, but I really want to try some .45LC in it as well, all I need is some .45LC brass and some bullets, if I can use my .452 Better Bullets 200Gr LSWC bullets in it, I won't even need to buy bullets for now, just the brass

...after I buy a set of dies for .45LC, that is

.....Why do I have this feeling that my 1911 may begin gathering dust soon ;)