Dogs can be great, sometimes...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
Ole Hoss never sleeps on the couch. But when Granpa needs a break and, lays down on the couch to take a nap or watch TV, that seems to be a signal to run over and climb up on top. All that weight is a little uncomfortable but he reassures me by licking my face with that big slurpy tongue. That's OK too, but when I think about all the places that big bell clapper has been during the day, It gives me pause.

Meditate on that for a while...

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
No dog face licking for me. One of my nieces let her little dog lick her all over the face and lips and then she came over to say hey and tried to kiss me. I wouldn't let her kiss me and told her that if I wanted germs from that dog's butt on my face I would just go over there and hold his tail up and kiss his butt myself. To each his own and I am not knocking anybody. I have heard the arguments in favor of allowing dogs to lick my face and that's not for me. I have seen too many dogs licking their butt and their private parts to let them swipe that across my face. I have three squirrel Feist and they may come inside for an hour or two one at the time but they are trained not to be licking on me and if they do they get corrected.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
I can understand Hoss taking most of the couch but what I would like to have an answer to is how my 11 pound cat, Slick, can take up the better part of a double bed? :shock: Oh, and he doesn't lick me ... anywhere.

6gun

Hunter
licking your face with the same slurpy tongue he just licked his behind with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I don't know HOW cats manage that; They can take up a sizable portion of the bed and IF they think you are going lay down manage somehow to EXPAND even more.
AND then COMPLAIN LOUDLY with much Spitting if you Move them !!

Jimbo357mag said:
Try this Ed. "Get off of me Hoss you big lug, you ain't a puppy any more." :D :D
I had an 120 lb Kuvasz, some years ago, that thought he was still a lap dog. He got to where he would just put his head in your lap when you were sitting in the chair. Because that was all of him that still fit. :oops: Still a fantastic companion dog.
gramps

wunbe

Buckeye
Man.... think of all the places faces go and then wonder why the hell dogs want to lick them. Of course they role on/in cadavers too...

wunbe

Pierow

Blackhawk
GA Cracker said:
.........I have three squirrel Feist and they may come inside for an hour or two one at the time but they are trained not to be licking on me and if they do they get corrected.
My sick sense of humor makes me think of a cartoon with you in bed, your house ablaze and one of your bravest dogs at your bedside turning to walk out of the room with a little cartoon caption over his head which says, "Aw, screw it!"

Wishing you only the best Cracker, Pierow

Mike J

Hunter
I have owned dogs most of my life. I have always enjoyed them but not on my furniture or licking my face. With that said everyone is different. If your situation works for you that is fine.

exavid

Hunter
It does seem odd how people tend to be fond of cats or dogs. I like dogs okay but prefer the feline species better. Dogs seem a bit too obsequious to me. Cats are independent, you have to earn their trust. They have somehow managed to make a monotonous drone comforting to people. In fact if they couldn't purr they'd probably be feral critters living on their own. Right now we have two in the house, the senior cat is 16 years old and slowing down like me in his old age, and the junior cat is about three months old, wild and crazy like me when I was young.

vito

Hunter
I've had a dog literally my entire life. The day my Mom came home from the hospital with me, my uncle gave her a new puppy as a gift. That puppy died on my 17th birthday. There have been times when the death of my dog has so saddened me that I vowed never to get a dog again, but within a short time I always do get one. As a kid my Mom took care of the dog, and as an adult its mostly been my wife to do the work of caring for our dogs, but I think the house always feels empty if the dog is not with us. And I've always been a fan of larger dogs and for years thought small dogs were not really dogs at all. But last year we bought a very small dog (only 12 pounds fully grown), and I must admit that she is the best dog I've ever owned. She is so devoted to me, and so playful and fun to be around that I find I do indulge her in most any way I can. At night she always sleeps right next to me and should I be sitting on the couch or a chair she wants to sit in my lap. And for the first time in my life I worry just a bit that this dog might well outlive me, but I know that my daughter would take over the care of little Ruby in a heartbeat. BTW, she is a very rare breed called a Coton du Tulear, an almost all white dog that looks a bit like a Bichon Friese or Maltese and the breed originated in Madagascar and was brought to France by French colonists. The breed has only been in the U.S. for about the last 20 years. They are a very healthy and long lived breed and I guarantee that if you get one it will bring new joy and love into your life (but they are expensive because of their rarity and newfound popularity).