Does the "c" really make a difference and if so wh

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
When the LC9 first came out... I did my research to see if it was something I would even consider. What I found was very intersting... the LC9 in my opinion was minimally smaller (though a bit lighter) then the SR9c... and when I was looking at this, I also took a hard look at the SR9c compared to the SR9. The SR9c is minimally smaller then the SR9. (For the sake of the argument, the LC9 is quite a bit smaller then the SR9, but I just couldn't get over what was lost in the LC9 platform from the SR9c platform for very little extra compactness.)

Anyway, what I am wondering now with the advent of the SR40c, is... Does half an inch off the barrel and and inch of the grip really help the gun be easier to conceal and carry? And if so why?

I know that some like the "c" versions because they have smaller hands than my meat hooks and the "c" versions just feel better... ok, that I get. But, not all "c" owners have small hands and no doubt I have heard the praises of the "c's" lauded for the extra ability to conceal and carry... but I just don't get it. Well except, that maybe the inch off the grip would help squelch printing in some cases, but that would be somewhat negated with the pinky extender on because it would add much of that inch back then wouldn't it.

Anyway, I can test shoot a gun, but test carrying for a few weeks may not be nearly as easy... so, I come here to get some understanding. Thanks for any good input!

A

Anonymous

I just picked up a SR9c today after owing a SR9 for a little over a year. The SR9c is amazingly smaller feeling when you hold one, more so than the specs would seem to suggest. The grip is considerably smaller by about 1" and the barrel is about 3/4" of an inch shorter.

It really does feel quite a bit smaller say in a pocket. In a holster it would feel less different, but that inch on the grip makes a lot of difference. It's also a little over 3 ounces lighter, and you can feel that too.

The SR9 feels better in my hand, but the SR9c feel fine too, just not quite as good as the full size.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
I have a lot of trouble trying to conceal my SR9c if I use the 17 round mag. (that would be the same size grip as the full size SR9) I have no printing issues when I use the 10 round mag. with the pinky extension. It does make a big difference for me. I also really like the balance and feel of the SR9c vs. the full size. Just my personal preference I guess. If only I could get my Browning Hi-Power in a compact.

P.S. I have fairly large hands, so...

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
As Big Stu points out, the length of the barrel has little to do with how concealable a pistol is, unless you want to pocket carry. The barrel is in a IWB holster inside your pants, or in a conceal carry designed OWB holster riding tight to your body. The grip is the part sticking out making a strange bump in your shirt that might be noticed. The shorter the grip the less it pokes out. You'll have people tell you they conceal carry a full size all day no problem...most people just can't do that or aren't built the same.

I traded a Kimber Compact (4"barrel/6 round compact grip) for a Pro Carry II (4" barrel/ 7 round full size grip) because I wanted the lighter weight of the aluminum frame. It actually felt the same in the holster but that 1" longer grip made a much more noticeable bump in my shirt. Mistake trade.

It's the heel of the grip that pokes your shirt so a pinky extender may not change that much since it points down while carrying. It's not mandatory to have all of your fingers on the grip, many people learn to shoot well with their pinky under the grip, in fact a good clean 3 finger grip might be better than a 3&1/2 finger grip that always feels awkward. You own an SR9 right? a -c version, 9 or 40 makes perfect sense, identical platform and controls. No relearning. The LC9 reports to have a loooong DAO trigger pull, you should shoot one before buying it.

PS Big Stu: CZ makes a compact that would make a good companion to your Hi Power.

GaryT

Bearcat
I no longer have my SR9, and never had an SR9c, but when I had the SR9, I carried it on a couple of occasions when I had to travel to Ohio. I carried it in a Don Hume JIT slide holster under an untucked sport shirt with no problems at all. I've handled the SR9c and didn't really find it to my liking. Actually, since Ruger put the Glock-style trigger in the SR9 I've not been a fan. I had one of the original SR9's before the trigger modification and preferred that trigger over the newer one. Had I known how different the replacement was going to be, I'd have kept mine in the original configuration and would probably still have it...

Mike J

Hunter
I don't own an SR9 or SR9c but 1/2" can make a big difference when you are trying to keep something hidden.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
As Big Stu points out, the length of the barrel has little to do with how concealable a pistol is, unless you want to pocket carry. The barrel is in a IWB holster inside your pants, or in a conceal carry designed OWB holster riding tight to your body. The grip is the part sticking out making a strange bump in your shirt that might be noticed. The shorter the grip the less it pokes out. You'll have people tell you they conceal carry a full size all day no problem...most people just can't do that or aren't built the same.

I traded a Kimber Compact (4"barrel/6 round compact grip) for a Pro Carry II (4" barrel/ 7 round full size grip) because I wanted the lighter weight of the aluminum frame. It actually felt the same in the holster but that 1" longer grip made a much more noticeable bump in my shirt. Mistake trade.

It's the heel of the grip that pokes your shirt so a pinky extender may not change that much since it points down while carrying. It's not mandatory to have all of your fingers on the grip, many people learn to shoot well with their pinky under the grip, in fact a good clean 3 finger grip might be better than a 3&1/2 finger grip that always feels awkward. You own an SR9 right? a -c version, 9 or 40 makes perfect sense, identical platform and controls. No relearning. The LC9 reports to have a loooong DAO trigger pull, you should shoot one before buying it.

PS Big Stu: CZ makes a compact that would make a good companion to your Hi Power.

I'll have to look into that. I've heard a lot of good things about the CZ.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
For me I like the balance and size of the 9c better then the full size. I also prefer the flat floor plate instead of the extension. Just seems to fit my hand perfectly. I dont have giant meat hands but they arent small. My buddy just picked up an LC9 and the slide is much thinner so should be easier for concealed carry and felt much lighter. I havent shot it yet so dont know about the trigger pull. I'm not a big guy (5'7 170 lbs) and conceal the 9c with no problem under an untucked button down shirt.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I now have the 9 & 40c's. They are the same size almost 99.6%. (The 40 is a tad wider in the slide.) and they are almost the same size as my P239 SIG.
All three can fit in a smaller storage spot and when carried do not print as my larger SIG P229 or the SR40 (and a lot better then my P226 or SR1911). As others have noted the shorter grip is the biggest help and the fact that you can carry the compacts a little lower in the waist band helps.

Just my 2 cents. :shock:

Lateck,

tj_cubin

Bearcat
LCP, LC9, SR9c, SR40c, SR40, SR1911, GP-100, 10/22, Mini-14 & M77-GS plus some SIG's

Lateck, thats a lot of rugers! Especially considering most of them are very new models. I am insanely jealous. I figure I can start saving a few bucks a month for my second pistol (going to be an LC9, i believe) after i pay off the wedding rings next month.... then it'll take about 8-10 months from then.

A

Anonymous

With guns as much as anything else, size is important, but it's more in how you use it. Some guys shoot just as well with a smaller gun as if they had a bigger one.

Some of the ladies here could probably make a definite statement as to how much difference a half or whole inch can make. They want it to fit better. In their purse.

:roll: .... :roll: .... :roll: .... :roll: .... :roll:.... :roll:

Latest posts