Does Ruger plan to chamber anything in .460?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I sold my 454 Taurus RB. It was a nice revolver, but I just wanted one that said Ruger on it (doesn't everyone?) Before I buy a Redhawk 454, I thought I shuld hold off a while to see if Ruger chambers for the .460 S&W, which would also fire 454 rounds. That way I could use my 454 brass, and try out the .460 to see if I liked it. Kinda like two guns in one. Has anyone read anything about it? I can't find any info either way. Thanks.

Kanook

Buckeye
Ruger would need to bring back the long frame to make the 460.

The Number 1 is out in 460S&W

I'd be happy if the put the 454 in a regular Redhawk, I just don't like the Super even though I own one. I bought a S&W because it fit my hand better.

Axehandle

Buckeye
You might consider a Magnum research BFR in 460 S&W.... I think that is a close as you will ever get to a factory Ruger 460...

flatgate

Hawkeye
A Freedom Arms .475 or .500 Wyo. Express should fill your requirements.

Besides, they are nice looking guns, unlike the behemoths labeled SRH or S&W.........

JMHO,

flatgate

Axehandle

Buckeye
You could go 1.6 inch case 44 bore with a custom 445 on a Maximum... :D
005-19.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll get the Super Redhawk 454. To tell the truth, I don't know if I want more than the 454, but I thought it would be nice to have had as an option. I tried a 480 Ruger a few years ago, and my teeth still have some loose fillings from it!
BTW- what is a SRH?

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
KY- hope u don't mind me slipping aquestion in your thread.
Is a maxi cylinder long enough for 460S&W?

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Three guns in one...

Don't forget the .45LC.

My dad has a S&W 460 XVR, and it is actually really nice, even if he did spend $1200 on it. It is a Whitetails Unlimited Arkansas edition and it says "One of One Hundred" on it, but only 23 were produced, so it should be fairly collectible one day.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
kentuckyyeti":44cxq1mk said:
SRH- duh! Thanks for letting me know. So the 454 packs a wallop in the Redhawk? The Raging Bull 454 I had was really easy to shoot, I just sold it so I could get a Ruger instead.

Raging bull is a heavier gun and is ported. The recoil is going to be much more noticeable in the 454 SRH. The 480 is much less recoil. You can get a Houge tamer grip for the SRH. Has a very soft backstrap portion similar to the raging bull grip. I have the Hogue grip on my 480 SRH. Big difference over the factory grips with the wood panel inserts. With hot loads there is a lot of muzzle jump. But the recoil to my hand is not much worse than a hot 44 mag. If you go with the 454 you can always shoot 45 colt. Or if you reload and go with 480 you can back it down to 357 recoil levels no problem.

Question: since I have already sold the Raging Bull 454, and I have a Blackhawk .45 Colt I bought in 1980 and a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag I got at the same time- would it be feasible to buy the SRH and have the barrel ported and buy the aftermarket grips. I have no trouble with the .44, nor did I with the Raging Bull. But I really want to be able to control the SRH well enough to hunt with.
Thanks for all the replies I have gotten.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Grips are no problem to get and numerous people offering porting as a service. Mag na port would be the first company that comes to mind. Be around a 175 bucks or so once you figure in shipping costs. I still think you will have some extra recoil due to less weight. Did you have a scope on the Taurus? If you didn't you could use the scope on the SRH to make up the extra weight.

The Taurus had a Leupold 2x, but I never did feel comfortable withthe scope on it. I don't think I would buy another pistol scope. Mag-Na-Port did a set of S&W 686's for me back around 1990 or so. Made a world of difference in them.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Mag na port would be the way to go and gradually work your way up to hot loads. With enough tinkering you should be able to come up with either a light 454 load or a 45 load that would hit the same point of aim as whatever load you decide to hunt with. You could practice with the light loads as much as possible to get proficient then shoot a cylinder of hot loads to confirm point of aim. Your not going to feel recoil when hunting.