Does Hogue OverMolded Stock need barrel nut?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a 10-22 Rubber OverMolded™ Stock with Standard Barrel Channel (Product 24/37) to replace the birch stock of my "Wal-Mart" special. When removing birch stock from barrelled action, I observed a brass fitting/spacer/nut?? that appears to function as a barrier for the action screw, to prevent it from being excessively tightened and biting into the wood. This piece appears to be press fitted -- that is, it does not easily come out of the birch stock.

Product 24/37 assembles to the barrelled action in identical method as the birch stock. There is no barrel band used by either stock. Before I tighten assembly screw through the Hogue stock, do I need some sort of nut/spacer/other?? comparable with that piece pressed into the birch stock? I ask because it may be that the hard internal bedding shell in my Hogue may preclude the need for the nut.

contender

Ruger Guru
I would think not,,, but the test is in the shooting. Install it w/o the brass piece,,, and see how it shoots. If it's very bad,,, then you may need it. If not,, just enjoy!

9x19

Hunter
Nope... the underlying rigid nylon of the Hogue stock will not compress like wood.

I have their stocks on both 10/22Ms I own and have no issues with the lack of a stock-screw ferrule.