Does anyone know what a Smith &Wesson Mountain Gun is?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
I have been considering selling my S&W 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, so I've been taking around to a few shops to see what they could offer or if I could trade in on anything. I have been to seven different shops over the last several evenings. Out of all the visits, there was only one crusty old gunsmith that knew exactly what I had when I took it out of the box. At every other shop, the visit went something like this:

I would tell them I am looking to sell my revolver and I take it out of the box. They would remark how nice it looks and then throw me a low ball offer explaining how they have several new stainless S&W revolvers in the case for less than what I am looking for.

I would then tell them that it is a Mountain Gun, and not your run of the mill stainless smith. They would then remark, "What's a Mountain Gun, I've never heard of those before?" I would then explain how it has a tapered barrel and how it is lighter to pack when you're worried about weight. I also explained how you don't see them every day of the week.

Then they would say huh. The worst was a man that started to google. He found an ad on Budsguns.com for a new Mountain Gun for $599 and stated how my asking price was way too high. I looked at it, pointed out the ad was from 2001, and told him that I would buy every Mountain Gun he could find, sight unseen, for $600. He just stared at me confused and I thanked him for his time and left. It's just very frustrating when the so called "experts" have no idea what you have!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I would like to have a S&W Mountain Gun in 41mag. They have gotten rather expensive, kinda like the Marlin Guide Guns in 41mag. Sometimes I wish I didn't wait so long before buying a certain gun. :D

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
I would like to have a S&W Mountain Gun in 41mag. They have gotten rather expensive, kinda like the Marlin Guide Guns in 41mag. Sometimes I wish I didn't wait so long before buying a certain gun. :D

Ain't that the truth!

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
J.Johnson,
If you want to sell it, check out Gunbroker. They will probable get the best price out of it. Check their fee schedule, there are different brackets according to price.

Believe it or not, sometime the guns selling the highest are the ones with no minimum or reserve, and start at a penny ! It is a bit risky that way, but sometimes it works.

Myron

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I assume its an S&W 625 but what is the dash number? What are you asking for it. Maybe post it in the classifieds here.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
IIRC
The "Mountain Gun" has a thinner profile 4" barrel, matte SS, and square butt. I had a 624 that was a close look-alike to the 44mag/45Colt versions.

cas6969

Buckeye
You do know that's how they stay in business right? :lol:

If you want to get what your gun is worth, a gunshop is the last place to bring it.

My mountain gun is my favorite S&W.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It is all too common to find someone trying to sell a gun for retail to a gun shop. This indicates inexperience or just plain 'ol naivete'.

Any gun shop worth it's signage would offer no more than 50% of whatever they could sell it for, less cleanup and repair. I've recently witnessed a guy trying to sell a nice but common rifle for full retail (MSRP) at a good gun shop, and was incensed when the offer was no more than about 35% of the box-store ad. Sorry, should have stayed awake in high-school economics class.

- The MG was S&W's cleanup of the old-style tapered barrels on their wheel guns, and they quickly saw the sales potential of the variant and created the model designation (separate from earlier taper-barrel gun). They were offered with square and rounded butt frames, in magnum calibers and in SS and blued. The most common are 44Magnum, with 45C and 41 Magnum and the 45ACP (moon clip) and the most rare 686 MG. All had adjustable rear sights. The "pre-lock" guns usually demand higher prices but they are not $1000 guns IMO.
Incidentally, I've never encountered a gunny who didn't know what a Mountain Gun model was. While not rare, they were cataloged for years and most revolver guys grab 'em up when found.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
There seem to be more and more of these firearms experts ( :roll: ) working at gunshops lately.
I've been dealing with a local shop for over 35 years. Until recently, it was staffed by family members, very knowledgable and competent. They enlarged the shop, added an indoor range, and business has soared.
They've hired a lot of new help, most of whom really seem to have very limited knowledge in the subject at hand. Most have limited hunting experience, and are all about the "tactical" end of the shooting sports (whatever that is).
When I recently bought my M77 tanger, circa 1978, he insisted that that was the year M77's were introduced. I started to dispute that, but decided not to bother, since he knew so much about Rugers. :lol:

Jeff

stevemb

Hunter
Got to shoot a .44mag Mtn gun side by side with a M629 of same barrel length recently. Both nice, but preferred the heavier M629. On third day of backcountry trip, bet I'd change my mind !

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I prefer the heavier 629 myself, I don't think the extra 2-3 ounces make that much difference but I really don't care for the muzzle flip on the Mountain guns. Every time I get tempted and buy one I end up selling it. I'll hang on to my Redhawks, much more pleasant to shoot.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I had one in 45 Colt, CorBon 250gr JSP functioned very well in it, took one fat Whitetail Doe with it, traded it towards a 41 Mag 5" Redhawk

don44

Hunter
I really like the one I have in 44 Magnum, very accurate revolver. I don't shoot full house loads in it, more like a "medium" load.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Seems to me that purely based on the resale value of a relatively rare revolver, a gunshop should know what they're looking at. S&W only made about 300 of these.

I would LOVE a mountain gun in .45! Can't find one anywhere.

Everyone tells me to get the 10mm. But that's why I have a .50AE! I want a Smith mountain gun 45! Not 10mm

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
It is a 625-9. This series is all round butted if I am not mistaken.

I understand a shop can't pay retail. I was just surprised how few people knew what it is. I guess I get spoiled on sites like this and forget we are really a minority.

coach

Hunter
You can add me to the list of people that wanted to and wished they had bought one years ago. I thought they only came in .44 mag, but apparently not.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
They came in 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and I believe a few in 45 ACP. The -9 is the one with the zit on the side for a key. They just don't have the same demand.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw,

I think your reference to the -9 starting the lock series was for the 625 stainless?
It may or may not be the same for the blue ones.

I am not familiar with anything other than the .44 mags but:
The dash number will vary depending on stainless or blue, and also by caliber/model.
In other words, a .44 mag blue Model 29 will have a Hillary hole starting with 29-8, but
a 629 stainless had one starting at 629-6, regardless whether a Mountain Gun or otherwise.
The other calibers all changed with different dash numbers, which makes it a confusing mess !

Myron

Latest posts