Does anyone have the Mini 14 with 16 inch barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jager01

Bearcat
Thinking of picking one up with the wood stock for HD when I am away in the Army. How accurate is it with the shorter barrel, that is my concern. Any other opinions welcome. Thanks.

I have the NRA mini with the sixteen inch barrel. I haven't sat down at the bench much with it, but in plinking, it seems much more accurate then one of my older minis is. I think the more rigid barrel contributes a lot to the accuracy gain. My 2 cents........

Dave

Jager01

Bearcat
not sure what the nra one is, I think its with the black synthetic stock, Im thinking of picking up the one from Davidsons, the deluxe model with the nice wood. I know its not glass bedded or anything, but I just dont want it to shoot 4 inch groups at 100yrds.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine shoots under 2" at 100 yards with handloaded 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, its an All Weather model. I'm just shooting with the iron sights for now, a scope is a possibility in the future.

Eray

Bearcat
I believe the shorter barrel mini's actually shoot better. I had a 13" AC556 full auto mini 14 and it shot much better than my full size mini 14. CDNN Investments has the deluxe model 16" with walnut stock for $719. I ordered a new synthetic tactical for $589. Shipping is free. Just go to their website and download the lastest catalog. They have all models of Mini 14's on sale.

I bought an older mini a few years back and it shot like most that folks complain about.... one of the items I did was have the barrel cut back to less than 16".... It is 16.25" with the choate permanent flash suppressor on it..... this did improve the accuracy of the rifle but it also messed up the iron sights.... So, I had to put an optic sight on the rifle.... **

I think you would be pleased with a New Model mini-14 with 16" barrel.

** In retrospect I think the biggest problem with this rifle was the barrel was worn out... much worse than the standard older mini-barrels....

56-210

Bearcat
Mine shots better with my son behind it, so that tells me something...I'm having my trigger reworked and will put in some more time with it when it's returned...

You'll like it...